FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone noticed pinging upon acceleration in the 3.0 V6? I have just noticed this in the last day or two--not bad yet, but if I am going 50-55 mph and hit the gas to pass someone. The car is at 20,000 miles now. What is the dealer's cure for this?

·
Registered
440 Posts
the dealer will retard the timing to keep it from pinging. I would step up to a midgrade fuel, on the 3.0 rangers, that seemed to fix the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have pinging until 100mph.  Dealer said have fun getting a tech on a driveability test! Acceleration is smooth and responsive.  Ran a V6 Mustang on freeway and dusted him...
You really shouldn't need to upgrade the fuel.  Ford claims that all Ford cars will run on the regular octane.  I also have a Mustang GT ('06) that runs real good on regular fuel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has really gotten more noticeable in the past 2 weeks. Now it seems to do it at any speed if I press down on the accelerator. I am going to schedule an appointment with the dealer. I also have a door speaker rattle that needs fixing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First, when you hear knocking/pinging be sure the car is in the most appropriate gear ratio by pressing even further down, "forcing" a downshift, on the gas pedal. Many drivers react to the sound of knocking/pinging by relaxing pressure on the gas pedal, something that seems instinctively correct but in this case is exactly the wrong measure.

But the effect is most likely the result of mixture being too lean, often the result of a faulty MAF/IAT sensor module. Oxygen sensors are out of the control loop during acceleration. If air filter hasn't been changed recently then do that but I would also clean/check the MAF/IAT assembly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your pinging may just be deposits from a load of bad gas. Try using Techron - it was originally developed by Standard Oil of California and BMW back in the 80's to clean valves and injectors because the gas we used then tended to form deposits.

A bottle every 2k or so should suffice. And get the full-strength stuff, not the blended 'do everything' stuff which is labelled "contains Techron".

One note - don't use it more than twice between oil changes. SOCAL (Chevron) used to have a warning about that - it seems the solvent can free deposits, some of which end up in the oil, and they were afraid that too much crap in the oil would deteriorate it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My also want to try a good qualtiy fuel system cleaner. Also at about 20,000 miles a fuel filter change is just around the corner...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I still have that grinding noise whenever I push down on the throttle about 20-30 percent of the way. I don't think this is the same sound though. I also get it when I am going less than 40 and let off the gas (get the sound for a couple of seconds). I can also make the sound last "indefinitely" if I push on the gas just right. My wife has even tried to help find it by pushing/beating/pulling/listening to different areas in the car, and we can't seem to find any explanation as to why the sound is INSIDE the car; therefore it almost has to be something in the engine compartment.

Now that I think about it, my sound is more like a rattling noise - like there is a screw loose somewhere. Dealership swears up and down that they have no idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
331 Posts
thereisnospoon

Have you checked the TSB area for any similar problems? I know most dealers won't deal with it if THEY don't hear anything. Have you road tested with a tech in the car to show them what you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yes, I actually got the general manager in the car with me and we drove around for 5 minutes. It DID NOT make the sound with him in the car...EVER. Pissed me off. The sound does NOT happen all the time, but when it does it is so annoying that I almost don't want to drive the car.

He did notice that the seat was squeaking. After one full day of them having my car and then telling me that they had no idea about the sound and that the seat fix would "take another day" since the person who "takes care of those kinds of issues was swamped all day long", I was pissed, took my car, and haven't been back since.

I honestly think I'm going to try another dealership. I've had it up to my neck with those people.

·
Registered
230 Posts
[quote author=RandyR link=topic=59720.msg1011313#msg1011313 date=1160880811]
Anyone noticed pinging upon acceleration in the 3.0 V6?  I have just noticed this in the last day or two--not bad yet, but if I am going 50-55 mph and hit the gas to pass someone.  The car is at 20,000 miles now.  What is the dealer's cure for this?
[/quote]
Get your car checked, you may have intake buildup that needs to be cleaned, you should NOT be pinging on regular 87 octane, tha's what the FUSION was designed to run on.
What brand of gas do you usually use?? Stick with name brand fuels like CHEVRON, SHELL,76, TEXACO, these brands are considered "Top Tier" gasolines and stand above other brands.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had been using Shell gasoline from two or three particular stations. I switched to BP last week, and it has suddenly gone away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts