FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
crisp, There has been lots of talk about weather or not these help handling or not. What say yee. Looks great!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I have read post that people say the strut towers are so close to the fire wall so the strut bars do not help. I have been helping a friend build his SRT-4 ACR for a few years. As you can see from this pix the strut towers are just as close to the fire wall as the one on the fusion and i can tell you first had from racing(autocrossing) this car before and after the install that it helps a ton. STB is going to be the next thing i do and will do it at the same time i do the rear sway bar.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I want to see what you think of it. Please let us know if you think it stiffens up the front.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Looks good, and I'd be interested to hear if you think it stiffens things up.

Slater, the Neon has a strut suspension, the Fusion doesn't. That's the reason why a strut tower bar has little effect on the feel of a Fusion.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=hwm3 link=topic=74000.msg1318865#msg1318865 date=1175988226]

Slater, the Neon has a strut suspension, the Fusion doesn't. That's the reason why a strut tower bar has little effect on the feel of a Fusion.
[/quote]

Doesn't the fusion have a coil over front strut set up? I know the rear is diff but the front appeared to be a standard coil over strut.

·
Registered
509 Posts
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=74000.msg1318941#msg1318941 date=1175993307]

[/quote]

Doesn't the fusion have a coil over front strut set up? I know the rear is diff but the front appeared to be a standard coil over strut.
[/quote]

Nope. The Fusion uses an upper and lower arm setup with coilover shocks. The Neon uses a lower arm only with struts. A strut setup will have much more force acting upon it, and in different directions than the Fusions coilover setup. In the Fusion, the arms are used to locate the wheel and the coilover supports the weight of the car, and dampens suspension movement. In a strut setup, like the Neon, the strut supports the weight of the car, dampens suspension movement, AND locates the wheel. This is why you will see major improvement with a strut tower bar on a car equipped with struts, but little to no change on a coilover equipped car.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=hwm3 link=topic=74000.msg1319684#msg1319684 date=1176046284]
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=74000.msg1318941#msg1318941 date=1175993307]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nope. The Fusion uses an upper and lower arm setup with coilover shocks. The Neon uses a lower arm only with struts. A strut setup will have much more force acting upon it, and in different directions than the Fusions coilover setup. In the Fusion, the arms are used to locate the wheel and the coilover supports the weight of the car, and dampens suspension movement. In a strut setup, like the Neon, the strut supports the weight of the car, dampens suspension movement, AND locates the wheel. This is why you will see major improvement with a strut tower bar on a car equipped with struts, but little to no change on a coilover equipped car.
[/quote]

i may need to get a repair manual when i go to put my springs on because i have done lots of strut spring replacements but nothing like you are describing. When i get mine i will take it with me to the go-kart track were my club autocrosses. I know the course very well so i hit the same lines all the time and run times that are almost the same. So what i can do is make a run log he time then install the strut tower bar and run another. then install my progressive rear sway bar that is on the way and make another run. will post results this summer when i get it all done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found that the strut tower bar helped a already good handling car become just a little bit better.I found myself taking the corners and bends around town a little faster.It was not until I installed the swaybars and lowering springs that I noticed how much the bar helped when paired with other suspension addons.I found that now I could just simply throw the car into any corner/bend I wanted w/no worries.(took my buddies 06 Legacy in the opposite lane of some pretty serious corners at our local airport)not that this proves anything,but it impressed me.Long story short I reccomend this add on to anyone looking to improve their suspension.It does help

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=Shadowrunner link=topic=74000.msg1320401#msg1320401 date=1176077938]
^ you mean Progress?

if so, here's the link: http://progressauto.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=404
[/quote]

ya that is the one. sorry typed it wrong. Going to get it from a local place. can get it for less than $140 tax and all. Just need to order it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts