FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! The only significant flaw in my 2006 SEL-V6 is a tendency to detonate slightly during initial throttle tip-in. This only appeared after I loaded the 91 performance tune via the X-Cal2. Bob Jusnes graciously
provided an updated tune that only partially corrected the problem (In all fairness to Mr. Jusnes and his
staff the products and service from Jusnes Modified are outstanding) I consistently use quality 93-rated gasoline (BP-Amoco, Hess, Sunoco) with an occasional treatment of Sea Foam between fill-ups. The car
is fitted with the Steeda CAI and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. The car delivers strong performance (thumbs
up Bob!) but the detonation is distracting and puts me in a negative mind frame. Shall I learn to live with it
or start saving my pennies for a custon tune with Bob at the terminal beside the dynamometer?

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=84811.msg1599489#msg1599489 date=1185859742]
HELP! The only significant flaw in my 2006 SEL-V6 is a tendency to detonate slightly during initial throttle tip-in. This only appeared after I loaded the 91 performance tune via the X-Cal2. Bob Jusnes graciously
provided an updated tune that only partially corrected the problem (In all fairness to Mr. Jusnes and his
staff the products and service from Jusnes Modified are outstanding) I consistently use quality 93-rated gasoline (BP-Amoco, Hess, Sunoco) with an occasional treatment of Sea Foam between fill-ups. The car
is fitted with the Steeda CAI and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. The car delivers strong performance (thumbs
up Bob!) but the detonation is distracting and puts me in a negative mind frame. Shall I learn to live with it
or start saving my pennies for a custon tune with Bob at the terminal beside the dynamometer?
[/quote]

Hi fusion66. :wavey: This may not be the cause of your detonation problem, and perhaps some other knowledgeable members will weigh in on this question I have: Why are you using an engine and system cleaner, like Sea Foam, so often? It seems excessive to me. Even if it is doing no harm, it certainly is draining your wallet faster than necessary.

If I am reading your post correctly, you must be using it at least 4-5 times a year. Heck, you say you use it "between fill-ups", does that mean you are using it every other fill-up? I would think using an engine system cleaner like this twice a year should be sufficient.

Even the Sea Foam website says "For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles". Considering the high quality gasolines you are using, every 5,000 miles should be sufficient.

I apologize if I am mis-reading what you posted, but thought it wouldn't hurt to weigh in with this information. At the very least, you will save some of your hard earned money.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=84811.msg1599891#msg1599891 date=1185885325]
Can you link its disappearance to any cause on your part? (Different brand of gas perhaps?)
[/quote]

Hello again fusion 66. :wavey: Well, glad I was mistaken about the Sea Foam usage. Unfortunately, process of elimination leads us next to the tune you are using. Believe me, I mean no disrespect to Jusnes Tuning, as I believe they do very good work. However, as you say, the problem began when you loaded the "91 Performance Tune".

Have you tried reloading the factory tune to see if the detonation goes away? Again, process of elimination. If it disappears with the reloading of the factory tune, you have discovered the root cause. It would then seem that, for some reason, your car is not taking well to the 91 Performance Tune.

If that is the case, you should work with Jusnes Tuning to eliminate the problem, or not use the "91" tune. Perhaps a little more tweaking can solve the problem.

Let us know how you make out. I hope it is nothing serious, and good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you bbf2530. I attributed the detonation to the modified tune long ago but have been unwilling to reload the factory tune because power corrupts. As stated previously a tweaked tune recently provided by
Bob Jusnes has lessened but not eliminated the problem. I need a customized tune and would gladly pay
for the dyno time but the tri-state area is poorly served in this regard (for Fusion owners, at least).

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I do not have a Bob junes tune, but one from my local guy here in Houston @ Strictly Performance. The guy dose my SCT work on my mustang. We were playing around with one of his 93 oct, and we ran into a simalar problem, nothing crazy, but it did go away after 30 or so miles.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
You guys are freakin' me out! Thinking about ordering x-cal 2 tomorrow from Jusnes Modified, but don't want my car farting and sputtering and detonating. Anyone with better exxperiences, let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't be alarmed kevjur and don't hesitate to order the Xcal2 from Bob(you won't regret it!)
My experiences with detonation is clearly anomalous and likely has less to do with Bob's tune
and more to do with my car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
kevjur, like fusion66 said, his issue is not typical. I'm very happy with my tune. I run the 91 octane torque tune all the time, it's a nice kick in the pants. I would never go back. In the Jusnes section of the forum there's a list of happy customers from this forum.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Yeah, I plan on running the 91 torque tune as well, that's the highest octane fuel available locally. It kind of sucks, being right in the heart of Canada's oil patch and that's the best we can get. I grew up in Vancouver and the Chevron stations used to have 94 octane supreme. Thanks for all the feedback and will be ordering tuner asap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=84811.msg1601302#msg1601302 date=1185917524]
I do not have a Bob junes tune, but one from my local guy here in Houston @ Strictly Performance. The guy dose my SCT work on my mustang. We were playing around with one of his 93 oct, and we ran into a simalar problem, nothing crazy, but it did go away after 30 or so miles.
[/quote]

Jaysen, can you describe the circumstances wherein the detonation occurred? (heavy and/or moderate
engine loading.....) Perhaps time and miles will resolve my troubles, as they have in your case.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=84811.msg1600409#msg1600409 date=1185898435]
Thank you bbf2530. I attributed the detonation to the modified tune long ago but have been unwilling to reload the factory tune because power corrupts. As stated previously a tweaked tune recently provided by
Bob Jusnes has lessened but not eliminated the problem. I need a customized tune and would gladly pay
for the dyno time but the tri-state area is poorly served in this regard (for Fusion owners, at least).
[/quote]

Hi fusin66. :wavey: Yes, I did understand that Bob had already tweaked your tune once. My thought was that perhaps a second tweaking would be in order.

Now that Bob knows that the changes he made in the tweak helped, perhaps this information can help him fine tune a second tweak? I'm sure this should not be a problem, considering their reputation for customer satisfaction.

At least it is worth a try.

G

·
You don't even really realize that it's happening. I could only tell when I was flooring it and heard it coming from the exhaust. I was worried to, but I figured if anything went wrong, I could just return it to the stock tune and get it fixed for free under warranty.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=84811.msg1605264#msg1605264 date=1186021976]
You don't even really realize that it's happening. I could only tell when I was flooring it and heard it coming from the exhaust. I was worried to, but I figured if anything went wrong, I could just return it to the stock tune and get it fixed for free under warranty.
[/quote]
That is a terrfific idea however the detonation does not occur in the stock setting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=84811.msg1605254#msg1605254 date=1186021709]
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=84811.msg1600409#msg1600409 date=1185898435]
[/quote]

Hi fusin66. :wavey: Yes, I did understand that Bob had already tweaked your tune once. My thought was that perhaps a second tweaking would be in order.

Now that Bob knows that the changes he made in the tweak helped, perhaps this information can help him fine tune a second tweak? I'm sure this should not be a problem, considering their reputation for customer satisfaction.

At least it is worth a try.

I have considered that option but I don't want to run afoul of Bob's good humor as he certainly has other concerns. I will drive the Fusion for another week, perhaps the first tweak will only become effective with the accumulation of more miles. I will keep you informed. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

[/quote]

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi guys, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I too want to order an SCT2 from Bob but I haven't heard a lick from him in a few weeks since I last emailed him and his subsequent reply.

Regards,

Gov

1 - 19 of 19 Posts