FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to attempt an installation of a Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth Car Kit

http://www.originalwirelessaccessories.com/ShoppingCart.asp

This (above) was the best price I could find. I'm handy, but not willing to hack up the wiring harness. I've read about special harnesses that would work --- http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=bt5520 Does anyone have experience with these?

Has anyone installed one of these kits (Parrot and/or harness) before? They seem to get good reviews and I am tired of dealing with my bluetooth headset in my car.

Does anyone know how to get the dash apart? I'm sure I could figure it out by poking around; though, if someone has already done it, I'd love to save the time.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just can't get over how "dead" this forum is. Perhaps it's because I came from an S2000 and Accord forum, but come on -- this place isn't very busy. I hope that improves as more people find out about it...

Anway....

For those of you who are interested in a BlueTooth alternative, read on! :)

I ordered the Parrot 3100 http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/ck3100-lcd from www.originalwirelessaccessories.com for $128. That was the best price that I could find. I got it in about 4 days -- I was impressed. I also then ordered the plug and play harness from www.installer.com. I got the FCSS-2 and the PT 3100. These eliminate the harness from the factory Parrot kit. You can get other harnesses a bit cheaper, but I read they will NOT mute the radio! The harness I bought definately DOES mute the radio.

Now, if you wanted to sit there and solder and wire everything up, you could do it if you wanted. To me, it was $65 well spent not to monkey with the wiring harness in my car. The kit from installer.com was true, 100%, plug and play.

Here's a shot of the harness from installer.com -- the blue box is the brain from the Parrot kit

With this harness, I had the Parrot kit up and running in 10min. -- seriously! It took me longer to pull the dash trim off and remove the radio.

I installed the "control unit" on the dash with double sided tape. I'm not thrilled about that mounting spot, but it was the best I could come up with. I want to be able to see it b/c it displays the incoming call and has some functionality to it that I will use.

I put the microphone up by the sunroof and routed the wire down the pillar and under the dash to the "brain" that is sitting behind the glove box now.

So, why go through all this? With my Motorola Bluetooth phone, I can now speak "PHONE" inside the car and it picks up my voice and says, "say a command." I say, "call 'wife'" and it starts to dial her. It mutes my radio and I can then hear her through my car speakers. When we are done, I say "hang up." I literally never have to touch a thing, just speak.

If a call comes in, it mutes the radio and plays a tone through the speakers. As well, it displays the call on the unit located on the dash. If I want to answer, I hit the button on the dash, or say "phone" and it answers the call.

I got this b/c I missed the Sync option by about two months on my 2008. I was irritated by that, but what are you going to do? I really don't care about the music feature b/c I listen to XM a lot.

So, for less than $200, I have this system and it was very easy to install!

Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean about the lack of activity on the forums, and there are so many readers that lurk and never join up. I was one of them...

Anyways, awesome install! I had not even considered this but for under $200 I may be interested. Do you know if it works with the nav system or if that would even matter since it doesnt go through the radio at all except for the speaker output/ muting?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should work fine with the NAV system. IN fact, I think the harness I used was also used in an application that included the NAV system.

I honestly can't get over how well it works. I installed one in my wife's 2006 Explorer and it, too, was easy to install and works great!

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanx for that amazing write-up. You sure make it look simple to do this mod. I too missed the sync on my 08 SEL but I see there's hope now !!! Btw, I can't find the wire harness you mentionned on installer.com ??!! Could you post the link please ...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=fcss-2 and the
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=pt-3100

The second harness is specific to the Parrott 3100. If you got the 3200, or another model, they'll make a harness for it.

Keep in mind, parts of their website isn't correct -- it says the first harness won't work in a Ford in some spots on their website. That WAS a true statement until they came up with that second harness that I posted. That second harness connects to the first and then allows you to connect everything to the Parrot brain. You have to have the mute/phone button on your radiofor this harness to work.

All this sounds complicated, but I assure you; you simply plug everything in, pull the radio, plug it into the back of the radio and you are done. That simple!

I've used it a bit this weekend and really enjoy it. Haven't had any problems and everyone says I am clear and they can hear me just fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the info shumax !! I do have the phone button on my radio and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it or will I need to use the buttons on the Parrott unit ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the wirring harness and Parrot unit above, it will AUTOMATICALLY mute your radio when a call comes in. You don't have to do a thing. To answer the phone, you either say "phone," if you programmed it to recognize that message, or you press the green phone key on the Parrot display unit.

Shumax

·
Registered
505 Posts
[quote author=shumax link=topic=95937.msg1905411#msg1905411 date=1197056222]
I installed the "control unit" on the dash with double sided tape. I'm not thrilled about that mounting spot, but it was the best I could come up with. I want to be able to see it b/c it displays the incoming call and has some functionality to it that I will use.
[/quote]
you could remove the cheesy clock and put the parrot display in it's place, or simply stick it on top of it (for S and SE owners, the fake chrome "FUSION" logo just pops out). this would give the dash a nice symmetrical look and you could hide the wires behind it ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shumax, How well does the microphone work? I have a name brand blue tooth ear piece and people complain that they can't
always hear me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm actually glad to see this thread going in here. I "wondered" about Parrot, but hadn't considered them before. As always, I appreciate you guys for doing the "leg work". ;-)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just finished doing the same install. It's as easy as shumax explained it if you buy the harnesses from installer.com . I installed the microphone on my rear view mirror and the parrot device device under the climate controls. The sound is very clear when having a conversation. I'll take some pics of my setup and post them later today.

Thanks again for the help shumax !!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say, next to my portable GPS, this Parrot is the best electronic device I've used -- especially in my car.

The microphone works great! No echoing, I don't have to shout, etc. It's very clear and I have yet to have a complaint about the sound of the system and I've used it a lot!

Glad to hear someone else benefited from the write-up on this. I really hope others give it a try -- it's about as easy as it comes with the parts I outlined

Good luck and Merry X-Mas!
Curt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts