FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 fusion se sport tuned package and looking to paint the rims. Current color of car is gloss black but was thinking of doing matte black. Has anyone painted their rims? Any info will help along with opinions. Not sure if i should do plasti dip or paint made to do the rims. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ad1990,
I painted my wheels , I used the wheel paint you can get at the auto store. ( spray can, not sure on the brand , there are couple of companies that sell it) they have held up well for a few years ( you can check out my mod page to see them and the date I painted them.) the paint still looks great . About twice I had to touch up a few small rock chips but I have been impressed on how well it has held up.

prep. is the important part.
I had to sand mine down because they were in bad shape when I got them. I used a wheel cleaner. then I scrubbed them with Dawn dish soap. get in every little spot, it must be 100% clean. dry them off. make sure they are 100% dry. don't handle them too much( I used latex gloves), then paint. I did several coats . the nice thing about painting them is that you can do your own design and be creative if you want. I painted the lip of the wheel silver. I taped them off and then did several coats of silver. I only clear coated the silver part to keep the wheel mat black.
Hope this helps
keep us updated and let me know if you have questions.
Steve

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have dipped my wheels many times, among other things. I find it the best route to go because its fully removable and extremely affordable

·
Registered
67 Posts
Plastidp is good if you have plan on going to stock look. Matte paint will also look good though it is hard to maintain and keep clean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i may be a mazda guy but painting the rims is quite easy.
i Plasti-dipped mine. it took 2 cans at about 6 dollars a piece.
my rims before were a little beat up. i just washed them really well with some turtle wax rim cleaner, $2, and let them dry, put a ring of painters tape around the rim to kinda keep the paint on the rim and not the rubber.
put them out back and did a thick base layer waited about 25 min and went out and sprayed again. repeated about 6-7 times.
if i had to do it again though id go for a can i rim. its been about 4 months and it still looks great. even in Michigan.
hope this helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts