FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the way that F150's paint the insides of their headlight housings, and the Harley version has a black version of the headlight. So, I started wondering.......would this application look good on a Fusion? I see that the new 2007 Mark LT headlights resemble the Fusion with their blockiness, so it's probably only a matter of time before someone decides to make a blacked out version of those. Has anyone known or thought about doing this to their Fusion headlight assemblies? I might buy a Fusion headlight online and see if I can make this work. If anyone has any info, let me know please!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Painting the inside housing? Naw, haven't thought of it. The question is, "Why?" You don't like the chrome?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I do - but I'm wondering how it would look with black. I think I'm one of the few that actually loves the design of the rear headlights, but I think that the main headlights up front do have a little too much chrome, although I love the square headlight housings inside that teardrop shaped headlight. Just wondering how the black version would look. Currently bidding on a used one via Ebay to tear apart and experiment with.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I hope you win the bid so you can post pics once its done. I would like to see how that looks.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not really expecting much, but there's a possibility that it could look better than I thought. I keep looking at the new Mark LT headlight design (which has squared housings for bulbs just like the Fusion). I can somehow imagine that headlight with black in it, but I really can't with the Fusion's headlight. Maybe that's for a reason! :lol:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not a bad idea. If you can safely remove the outer part of the headlight housing of the headlight without cracking it, and find a waterproof way of putting them back together once you have painted them black, I'm sure it would look great.

But one thing to remember, if there is any way for moisture to ge int the lights, you'll be batteling the elements of nature. they'd have to be sealed water tight.

I'd love to see what they look like. Please keep up posted.

bnutz! 8)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I've done this before with my Focus. What I had to do was bake my headlights at about 200 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes. The time varies, but 15 minutes was just enough time to allow me to pry the plastic cover off the housing. I then sanded down the parts I wanted to paint with a 2000 grit sandpaper. Then I masked off the rest of the housing, painted, and allowed them to dry over night. As for sealing them up, a bead of waterproof caulking works great. And if you get excess on the housing or plastic cover, it's a breeze to peel off once it's dry.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm going to hold off on this for a while. I have a new lip spoiler, Eibachs, and new rims that are on the way.

I thought I was going to be able to sneak one off Ebay for 25 bucks but then I didn't realize that the headlight was going to get bid all the way up to nearly 80 bucks by the time the auction closed. Thought to myself...hmm.....that's a lot of money for something that's just a whim mod. I will keep you posted when I decide to do it.

Yeah, when I helped a friend do the lights on the F150 I saw the instructions..."put headlight in the oven and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes"....scratching my head and saying "WHAT????????" - It will be a pain in the butt since there are little crevices that the Fusion will need stripped, but it will be worth it I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.