FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Fusion (2.3 5 speed SE) for almost a week. Overall, I like it. It's probably the best all around value under $20k out there. It just seems like this car just wasn't "finished". There's lots of things I look at and think, it would be better if it looked like this, or this thing was here, etc. I guess I'll just make a list.

Powertrain- The 2.3 is good. For a 4 cylinder and has adaquate power for every day driving. It's very smooth and quiet, giving off some noise on acceleration, but it's not obnoxious. It would be nice to have a little "note" to the exhaust to balance out the engine noise, like the Focus ST. Getting around 2 mpg less and having 50 more HP, the 6 cyl in the better engine. With the 3.5, that gap will only increase. Although my gripe about that is next.
I can't not understand why a 5 speed is not offered in the 6 cyl. It's in the Mazda6. If this is supposed to be a sport sedan, it needs a 5 speed. When it's time for me to drive an automatic, it's time to turn my license in. Ford will never get the enthusiest crowd unless they start making enthusest cars. Lucky for Ford, I was looking for a daily driver, not a sports car. Other than that, it's a very good 5 speed. The clutch is heavy, which gives good feel. Shifting is alright, a bit on the rubbery side, but livable. The knob needs to be made smaller, this thing is HUGE which slows shifting down.

Suspension/brakes- Besides being a bit on the tight side, it's very good for a FWD. The ride is smooth yet firm, somewhat BMW like. It soaks up bumps nicely and never gets out of shape. I've pushed this car quite hard on a nice open twisty road by my house. It reminds be very much of my old 97 SHO, but this can be driven deeper into the corner. It's a little on the tight side but it's nothing a larger rear sway bar wouldn't fix. Compaired to my Mustang GT, the Mustang handles better but the Fusion doesn't make you work for it.
Braking is again like my SHO, but they're better due to the car being lighter. They never seemed to fade much after pulling the car down from 80mph several times. It's very predictable and stable with good feedback. Unfortunately, it has ABS which I can't stand. Then again I hate all intrusive "driving aids". It was on the car when I bought it and I would have never added this had I ordered one. This is one part of the car I would not change, aside from the ABS. The tires are good for everyday driving, but don't like being pushed. Once these are worn down, I'm buying a set of wheels and going with dedicated summer tires and winter ones on the stock wheels.

Interior- Overall design, excellent. Finishing touches, lacking. The SE with charcoal is horribly monotone. Just give me a little bit contrast, please. It has a fake carbon fiber center stack but everything else there's no trim. Even though it looks fake, it would have been nice to put it around the door switches, console base, steering wheel buttons, etc. The SE "sport" package should include alumium trim in the inside, like the Milan. Sport is more than just aluminum wheels and 6 speaker stereo. I'd make the sport package- 17in wheels, stiffer springs, an exhaust with a tone, a conservative lip spoiler, and aluminum trimmed interior.
Materials are good, better than previous Fords, but still, lacking. Plastics could be a bit thicker. The dash is nice and soft but reflects light into the windshield. It needs a finer texture to break up the light. The buttons and switches feel cheap. They should be rubber coated like the HVAC controls in the Focus. The seat fabric is comfortable but it transfers "fuzz" from your clothes too easy. I had a fleece in the back seat and when I took it out to put it on I had blue fuzz on my back seat which is a pain to get off.

Exterior- Great looks. It gets a lot of attention and people still wonder what it is. (Not sure if this is a sign of an excellent design or poor advertising) I've heard everything from a Lexus to a Nissan. The only thing I would change here is the chrome. The tribar upper is alright, but I'd make the bars a bit thinner. Lose the lower bars or paint it black/body color. It reminds me of Lil Jon's teeth. The rear taillights are love or hate. And I do both. They look good on black, but chrome and tan? Here I would have either made it smoked plastic or body color.

Lil Jons teeth for reference-

Here are some pics of mine-

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, today it's got two rattles in the dash. One is a plastic creek and the other is a metal rattle. My engine is also making a weird noise that sounds like a loud timing chain. Ford is getting a call on this. Not that their customer service is any good.........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.