FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. I just purchased a magnaflow system, and am looking for idea's for who to go for the installation on it...

I really dislike the ford dealer I bought the car from, and I'm not sure if they can even do it for me. I'm also not sure if I should goto a muffler place to have them do it, ive always had bad thoughts about those..

Jack Williams Tire is a pretty good place around here locally, they treat customers very well and do top notch work, I was thinking about that.

Or I could always attempt the install myself.. Does anyone know if there is any cutting/welding involved in doing it?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Definitely do it yourself (with a good pair of jackstands). An exhaust is one of the easiest things to install.

Get a can of PB Blaster or WD40, hit up the bolts attaching the catback to the midpipe. Undo bolts, remove old system, move hangers to new exhaust, bolt up new system. Done.

I've installed many exhaust systems and none have taken more than 30 mins including gathering tools and cleanup time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really... So the stock system is simply bolted on at all points?

That would be cool.. I can tackle that, I have all of those tools..

I just dont trust anyone working on my baby except me, or someone else who realizes how much a $20,000 investment is :)

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=anarchyx link=topic=90176.msg1741536#msg1741536 date=1190856860]
Really... So the stock system is simply bolted on at all points?

That would be cool.. I can tackle that, I have all of those tools..

I just dont trust anyone working on my baby except me, or someone else who realizes how much a $20,000 investment is :)

[/quote]

Yep, nothing to weld at all with a true bolt-on system like a Magnaflow.

Not sure where you live, but if it's somewhere where the roads are salted a lot, you might run into rust problems. However, that's still not a big enough obstacle to warrant paying someone for such an easy install.

Cars nowadays usually have 2 bolts attaching the exhaust to the catalytic converter. Beyond that, the main thing to give you trouble is the actual exhaust hangers. Hit them with a little WD40 and they'll slide right off the old exhaust and onto your new one :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Abbott, I think I've just found another project for us to do :)

Speaking of...are you gonna have time this weekend to do your Eibachs and look at my fronts? Before I left for ChiTown I was noticing that the squeaks have mostly disappeared on the left but are still there on the right. But both still give me hell with large bumps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay cool... well I will go ahead and give it a whirl. Sounds simply like 2 bolts, and 2 hangers, which sounds easy as hell :D

Also, my car is garaged most of the time that it is raining or crappy outside. As for the salt, it hasn't been through a winter yet, so it should be fine there as well.. Will tackle this project sometime this weekend if the exhaust is here by then, and I'll let you all know how it goes :)

[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=90176.msg1741552#msg1741552 date=1190857114]

Yep, nothing to weld at all with a true bolt-on system like a Magnaflow.

Not sure where you live, but if it's somewhere where the roads are salted a lot, you might run into rust problems. However, that's still not a big enough obstacle to warrant paying someone for such an easy install.

Cars nowadays usually have 2 bolts attaching the exhaust to the catalytic converter. Beyond that, the main thing to give you trouble is the actual exhaust hangers. Hit them with a little WD40 and they'll slide right off the old exhaust and onto your new one :)
[/quote]

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=anarchyx link=topic=90176.msg1742405#msg1742405 date=1190897217]
Okay cool... well I will go ahead and give it a whirl. Sounds simply like 2 bolts, and 2 hangers, which sounds easy as hell :D

Also, my car is garaged most of the time that it is raining or crappy outside. As for the salt, it hasn't been through a winter yet, so it should be fine there as well.. Will tackle this project sometime this weekend if the exhaust is here by then, and I'll let you all know how it goes :)
[/quote]

I'm not sure how many hangers are involved specifically. However, I did look at thereisnospoon's stock exhaust when we installed his springs. Should be a piece of cake. Just another reminder to make sure you have good jack stands, as you'll need to be almost all the way under the car most of the time....

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=90176.msg1741878#msg1741878 date=1190864124]
Abbott, I think I've just found another project for us to do :)

[/quote]

Definitely. When are you going to order yours? :lol:

I'll send an email about this weekend. We should be a go.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sounds good.

Umm....I'm probably gonna order mine sometime....umm....does March sound good to you?? :)

Seriously, I'm sure it should be sooner than that.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Or you can do what I am gona do and pay your local exhaust place 30 dollers and have them get dirty..... 8) Plus if something was to happen, like fall apart while driving, its covered by them. 8) 8)

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Tweek link=topic=90176.msg1747856#msg1747856 date=1191113091]
Or you can do what I am gona do and pay your local exhaust place 30 dollers and have them get dirty..... 8) Plus if something was to happen, like fall apart while driving, its covered by them. 8) 8)
[/quote]

I actually take pleasure in doing stuff myself, as most here probably do. $30 is a good rate though :lol:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thirty bucks? Man, you must really know those guys pretty well to have them do it for 30 bucks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
30$ sounds about right. If i were to pay someone to do it after doing it my self, i would probably have to have one of my friends hit me.... because its a joke to install.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
So basically the 30 bucks is a "hey dude can I borrow your hydraulic lift?" fee?

·
Registered
399 Posts
30$ to have them do all the work, and its covered if something was to happen. I would hate to install it myself, and make a mistake ( it happens to the best ) and be driving down the road when a bolt comes loose and you see sparks comming out under your car. You are right, it would be an easy install, and if you take such pride in easy installs, then feel free to do it yourself. But to have it done right, on a lift for 30$, ill take it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Okay, the ease or the install is true... but come guys... the hangers don't just 'slide right off'. You may need some muscle and some plyers. :zobx:

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=tony magnolia link=topic=90176.msg1752833#msg1752833 date=1191299423]
Okay, the ease or the install is true... but come guys... the hangers don't just 'slide right off'. You may need some muscle and some plyers. :zobx:
[/quote]

They do if you use WD40 like everyone has suggested ;)

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Tweek link=topic=90176.msg1749308#msg1749308 date=1191197079]
and if you take such pride in easy installs[/quote]

:? I take pride in oil changes, too. Guess I should just pay someone $30 to do that as well :lol:

Honestly, if you're worried about making a mistake with an exhaust install, you should be paying someone to do it. For $30, you really can't lose.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I dont take pride in my oil changes, because I build up my pride for big, tough jobs :lol:, I hate changing my oil, and dont look forward to it at all. Its called maintance, usually anything called that isn't quite fun.

But I do my own oil changes because I dont trust that the dealer will put full synthetic in, or worse, like not fully tighten the drain bolt. ( has happened before ) :?

To me, having the install warrenty, and knowing its done right, is fully worth my 30 dollers..... and if I would do it myself, I would probably spend that in Beer, or worse..... My Girl :shock:

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Tweek link=topic=90176.msg1753096#msg1753096 date=1191326416]
I dont take pride in my oil changes, because I build up my pride for big, tough jobs :lol:, I hate changing my oil, and dont look forward to it at all. Its called maintance, usually anything called that isn't quite fun.

But I do my own oil changes because I dont trust that the dealer will put full synthetic in, or worse, like not fully tighten the drain bolt. ( has happened before ) :?

To me, having the install warrenty, and knowing its done right, is fully worth my 30 dollers..... and if I would do it myself, I would probably spend that in Beer, or worse..... My Girl :shock:
[/quote]

LOL, it's all good. We all have different priorities. I'm just of the mindset that if I'm willing to install springs, intake manifolds, headgaskets, axle swaps (old Jeeper) myself then I have a mental block on paying for things that take 1/20th the time. Again, for $30, that's hard to beat. If I was short on time, which I never am, I'd consider taking somewhere for this stuff to be done while I'm at the office.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.