FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first oil change.  What a shock!  $56.95 for an oil change????  I was told that the oil filter is not an ordinary "old" style filter.  You need o-rings and a new filter cartridge.  I refused to pay the extra $17.95 for the fusion filter.

I had been quoted the standard $34.95 for the job before the car went in so that is what I paid!

Anyone else had sticker shock?? :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
You took it to the dealer? Haha

·
Registered
377 Posts
[quote author=UtOhCop link=topic=43526.msg645566#msg645566 date=1144029227]
[/quote]

Yes. And why are you laughing. :huh

They have provided me with exceptional service for the past 6-years. And plus they are the ones who gave me extended warranty on my vehicle for an extra 3-yrs, free. They better do their work, or they will provide me with another vehicle under law. I trust them.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
[/quote]+1. Not that its funny, I just like to do my own work.

·
Registered
132 Posts
[quote author=swoop1156 link=topic=43526.msg645579#msg645579 date=1144029907]
[/quote]+1.  Not that its funny, I just like to do my own work.
[/quote]

It's so easy to change your own oil why WOULD'NT you do it yourself?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I plan on taking mine to the dealer too, for $20 I can get it done cheaper
than buyin all the nonsense that goes with the damn cartridge change.
I love doing work on cars, but this is one pain in the ass that I am not dealing with,
with 5000 mile changes, I can deal with the dealer for 3 years until I decide to
buy the car after the lease is up, and then I am converting to a spin on filter.

I have priced the cartridge and o-rings and it is way too much to buy everytime
I will let them do it. they fuck it up, they are fixing it. I have done cartridge
changes before on tractors and other engines, and they are easier than on this 2.3L.
no o-rings at all, you take out one bolt and remover the casing, and replace the filter,
simple. all you need to replace and only when it gets bad is the casing round gasket.

and the price under $3, on this engine, almost $50, I don't think so. $20 at the dealer
is cheaper.

·
Registered
132 Posts
[quote author=shadowfall1976 link=topic=43526.msg645608#msg645608 date=1144031334]
I plan on taking mine to the dealer too, for $20 I can get it done cheaper
than buyin all the nonsense that goes with the damn cartridge change.
I love doing work on cars, but this is one pain in the ass that I am not dealing with,
with 5000 mile changes, I can deal with the dealer for 3 years until I decide to
buy the car after the lease is up, and then I am converting to a spin on filter.

I have priced the cartridge and o-rings and it is way too much to buy everytime
I will let them do it. they fuck it up, they are fixing it. I have done cartridge
changes before on tractors and other engines, and they are easier than on this 2.3L.
no o-rings at all, you take out one bolt and remover the casing, and replace the filter,
simple. all you need to replace and only when it gets bad is the casing round gasket.

and the price under $3, on this engine, almost $50, I don't think so. $20 at the dealer
is cheaper.
[/quote]

You do know the dealer uses garbage oil correct?

·
Registered
261 Posts
they use exactly what is in the car now, Motorcraft, and I have used that in the past and have had no
problems, out of any car it was used in.

I know, because I have watched them do oil changes, as many times as I had my POS Ranger
in the shop for bullshit problems, so I have no complaints about having my oil changed there,
although it still is better when I do it, but it to me is far cheaper to have them do it, I will only
have 20k on the car in 3 years, so no biggie that's only a handful of dealer changes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
[quote author=Cross Bolt link=topic=43526.msg645722#msg645722 date=1144035737]
     UtOhCop : You don’t really believe that, do you? :?
[/quote]

About the garbage oil? Yes i do

I just changed my oil. Mobil 1 is the only thing i will use

·
Registered
261 Posts
I usually use Valvoline, and there too, no car problems from it...
I really don't care what anyone says, there are only a few oil refineries (for example Texaco, Getty...)
in this country, and all oil is made from the same formula, only individual brands just add certain
things to make oil, their own formula, all auto grade oil is refined the same way no matter what company
brands it.

therefore if one oil brand is crap, they all are to a point then.

the only unique oils are the synthetics. and this I know because where i'm originally from
there is a Getty refinery and I know people that worked there and they refine oil for
Mobil, Motorcraft, Tech (brand), AC Delco & a few off brands. I believe Pennzoil, I don't remember though
and they used to make oil for Wolf's Head, an old brand that I haven't seen since the early 80's

·
Registered
580 Posts
You do realize that, any oil that you pour into the Ford Engine has to meet or exceed the Ford Specifications, for the warranty to be honored?
Anyway, we could probably argue the advantage or disadvantages between oils from now until the end of the earth.
That said, over the years I have seen some interesting results come of Fords Lubrication Oils. One that comes to mind is the differential oil that was used in the 1950s, 60s, 70s,and 80s. This stuff was ugly and dirtiest looking rear end oil that anyone could have laid their eyes on. Well as it turned out, something about it was really superior. It was rare that anyone ever changed it and Fords Ring and Pinions rarely wore out with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.
Another one in the 1960s was the Automatic Transmission Fluid. Ford came out with the Type F, which had a better coefficient of friction and really extended the life of there Automatics. This stuff worked so well the Drag Racers would use it in the GM and Chrysler Automatic Transmissions.
No doubt that Mobile 1 is good oil. If it were not, they would be in court. I even thought about using it but as I really pondered the thought, I kept coming back to the blend. If I am out in the middle of nowhere and I need a quart of oil, I could pour some petroleum based in the engine with no trouble.
:idea:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had all my services done at the dealer, and it has never cost me more than 25.
I would like to know what they are using on your car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
[quote author=Cross Bolt link=topic=43526.msg645937#msg645937 date=1144048174]
    You do realize that, any oil that you pour into the Ford Engine has to meet or exceed the Ford Specifications, for the warranty to be honored?

:idea:
[/quote]

Ford is not going to void a warranty just because you use a different oil. How the hell do they know what brand you use anyway?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I had a very large problem with my SVT Focus, and they actually extracted some engine oil from my engine and had it analyzed or sent to a lab and told me exactly what I was running, and tried to pin it on that. They can and WILL use anything they can get, against you.

I blew a Getrag 6-speed transmission through the front of the car, right through the bellhousing. The pressure plate snapped, clutch plate fried and it ate it's own gears for lunch. They tried everything to get me -- and then it happened to ANOTHER SVTF. Then another...then another. Pretty soon, I was off the hook and could back off my fight, as it was Ford SVT's problem about not aligning them properly.

ANd they tried to blame my engine oil.

Just a story, but they CAN do it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
there is no way they could make that stick, as long as you have no engine itself issues
there is no way in hell that they could pin transmission problems, on an engine oil.
no oil is going to affect the trans.

and besides, there is no ATF fluid in the bell housing area let alone engine oil, it would not
have been a fluid issue unless it had none at all in it, I have done a lot of work on
cars and what you said they did is bullshit. there is no way they could have gotten anyone
with automotive expirirnce to believe you were at fault.

and each company "recommends" their own brand for obvious $$$$ reasons, and yeah all but
the cheaper brands are made with specific ingrediants added, but all oil is refined from the same
crude in the same ways by all refineries. so how really can even a cheap brand void a warranty
it only states, that you use XW-XX oil nowhere I have read does it say it MUST be a certain brand
or have certain ingrediants, nless it specifically says somewhere to use synthetic, then you must
get a name brand on that one, to be safe.

·
Registered
261 Posts
yeah an oil change is an oil change to them, don't let them tell you that you need to pay over what
they normally charge for one, but too if you don't have the 2.3L you'll be fine anyway.

but still don't let them tell you "well it's because of the filter blah... blah..." tell em to screw off and
you'll take it somewhere else, and you know you can get it done cheaper, tell 'em you know people
that have had it done cheaper... then see what they say.

·
Registered
132 Posts
[quote author=swoop1156 link=topic=43526.msg646113#msg646113 date=1144074814]
I had a very large problem with my SVT Focus, and they actually extracted some engine oil from my engine and had it analyzed or sent to a lab and told me exactly what I was running, and tried to pin it on that.  They can and WILL use anything they can get, against you.

I blew a Getrag 6-speed transmission through the front of the car, right through the bellhousing.  The pressure plate snapped, clutch plate fried and it ate it's own gears for lunch.  They tried everything to get me -- and then it happened to ANOTHER SVTF.  Then another...then another.  Pretty soon, I was off the hook and could back off my fight, as it was Ford SVT's problem about not aligning them properly.

ANd they tried to blame my engine oil.

Just a story, but they CAN do it.
[/quote]

If they did that to me all they would find is Mobil1 and DCX and countless other car makers use it from the factory.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts