FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've compiled part numbers from different manufacturers for the cartridge oil filter for the 2.3L I4 manual. As I get them, I also plan on putting up pics to compare the quality of these filters. I have three of them on hand now and have a couple more on the way. If you find one of these filters and would like to take a picture of it in front of the box, to show the quality, please do so and I'll host it.

Some of these filters are made by the same manufacturer. To find out what manufacturer makes what filter, you can reference that here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=337051#Post337051

If you find and confirm another make/number for this application, post it and I'll update it in the list.

FL-2017B - Motorcraft OEM filter
L321-14-302-9U - Mazda oil filter
7203 - Napa Gold oil filter (made by Wix)
52703 - Wix oil filter
L15505 Purolator Premium Plus oil filter
PL15505 Purolator Pure One oil filter
GL15505 O'Reilly's/Microgard oil filter
P7313 - Baldwin oil filter
HP-7013 - K&N oil filter (made by Champion Labs)
84203 - Carquest oil filter (made by Wix)
LF594 - Hastings oil filter
CH9641 - Fram oil filter
P960 - Champ oil filter (Champion Labs, makes oil filters for other companies)
S9641 - STP oil filter (made by Champion Labs)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I'm gathering more filters for our 2.3L I4 and plan to take pics soon. Here is what I currently have in my stock for pics:

Motorcraft OEM filter
Mazda filter
Napa Gold Filter made by Wix
Purolator Premium Plus filter
Purolator Pure One filter
Carquest Filter made by Wix
Fram
STP

Please feel free to find any of the other filters that are on the list and take pics for comparison. I believe this will help Fusion owners see the different filters and give them some insight on the quality aspect. I'll get pictures done this weekend and post them.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just an update:
The Purolators (Premium Plus & Pure One) have been improved/strengthened with a plastic reinforcing cage inside the filter - it's easy to see. I've use them and they do no crush :) . They're now probably the strongest filter made for our 2.3 engine and are usually on sale some where.

·
Registered
22 Posts
NAPA Gold 7203 looks to have changed their supplier. Previous versions were made in Poland, the one I got yesterday is made in S.Korea and doesn't look as "sturdy" as the one made in Poland. There are less pleats as well.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=tondar link=topic=82031.msg2095625#msg2095625 date=1203807733]
NAPA Gold 7203 looks to have changed their supplier. Previous versions were made in Poland, the one I got yesterday is made in S.Korea and doesn't look as "sturdy" as the one made in Poland. There are less pleats as well.
[/quote]

This is interesting to note. Thanks for the update. Wix is the supplier for the Napa Gold's so I wonder if the Wix filter is also the S. Korean made filter?

At any rate, Auto Zone now carries the FL2017B Motorcraft filter for 5.99...a very good deal and more than a couple dollars cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Tondar,

Thanks for the update.

I've find the Purolator Premium to be at least as sturdy as the Polish NAPA was. For $2.50 (no rebate!) on sale at PepBoys (or at a price matching stores like Advance or Murray's) you can't beat it. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
ok kind of an old thread but what's the difference between the Purolator Premium Plus filter and
Purolator Pure One filters? thanks and any pic updates as to what is what?

·
Registered
799 Posts
The Pure One uses a higher quality filter media. IIRC it's a purple color. The "standard" filter media works very well but if you want the best then go for it.

Also - Many Wal-Marts now carry the Motorcraft filter (it's a rebadged Purolator Premium), it goes for about $3.50 - a great everyday price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just heads up everyone, do y'all know about the filter conversion kits for the 2.3l mazda 3's that can work on our 2.3l's? This can definitely expand this list. I've got one on my 2.3l cause after my first oil change I couldn't deal with these ridiculous cartridge filters. Here's where I got mine and all you got to do is unbolt the filter holder from the side of the block and replace it with a new seal and this spin-on filter holder.

I got mine here,

http://onlinemazdaparts.com/partloc...catalogid=4010&siteid=214264&categoryID=78787

make sure it's the, "2.3L TO 2.0L OIL FILTER CONVERSION KIT"

Also here's an installation thread:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=339596

It's super easy to do and it opens up the amount of quality oil filters you can install on the car. I first ran the Purolator PL10241:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net...changeGuideResults.aspx?partnr=PL10241&page=1

But I found out that you can also use the higher capacity, PL20195 filter:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net...changeGuideResults.aspx?partnr=PL20195&page=1

I've been using one of these higher capacity filters since I did my last oil change and I've haven't had any issues at all! My only warning is make sure and check your clearance if your vehicle is lowered cause this filter is probably a whole 1.5 - 2 inches longer than that PL10241 filter. Hope this stuff helps guys, this is definitely a cool thread, thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts