FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'm coming up on three months without an oil change since I bought the car but I only have about 1600 miles would it be safe to drive the car for another 3000 miles or so (probably 3-9 months) without an oil change or should I stick to getting it changed regularly every three months?

Also my dealer sent a booklet out about servicing and it had a photo of the cars computer on the dash showing these words :Oil change necessary
Will it tell me when to change the oil? That would be very cool.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=70150.msg1223124#msg1223124 date=1172117060]
Will it tell me when to change the oil?
[/quote]

No, the Fusion will not tell you when a oil change is necessary. (I wish it would)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I believe the recommended standard is six months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=urnews link=topic=70150.msg1224279#msg1224279 date=1172168134]
I believe the recommended standard is six months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
[/quote]

Good idea, just make sure you check the fluid levels in between changes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When should you do your VERY 1st oil change on a new Fusion ? I always do a change at 1 K on my Mustang GT's, then wait 2K, & so then do another change at a total of 3K, then keep it changed at 3k intervals. Probably over changing it, but whatever, it's safer.
I run a blend of 2 QT full synthetic & 4 QT of conventional oil, = 33% syn. blend, 5w-30. Ford recommends 5K on Mustangs, using their 5w-20 syn blend, which most people believe is about 15 % syn.
So when should you 1st change the Fusion ? I would still do 1st before 1.5K, probably at 1K. Not sure if I would do 4k or go to 3K change intervals, stick with FoMoCo 5w-20, or do own syn. blend :dunno: I know Ford says change at 5K.
The 3.0L turns more / works harder than a 4.6L.
What's the 3.0L oil QT capacity, 5 QT's ?
How easy / difficult is it to change yourself. My Dad's Buicks, FWD, are F'ing impossible to change yourself !!! The oil filter is DIRECTLY above the main front suspension, so you really need a car lift to free the space between the filter & suspension. I'm positive that was a DELIBERATE GM design, to ensure dealership service !!!
I know these are a lot of questions, but all help appreciated. Probably score a 3.0L SEL this spring / summer, trying to be prepared.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe, at least on my AWD its about 6qts. I plan on having mine done at the dealer using ford's 5w20 they have lifts for the job.

·
Registered
198 Posts
MechWarrior - if you have the 3.0l it's real easy. First change interval is totally at your discretion - noone would argue with a 1k mile change. I think I did 2k, then 5k, then 5k intervals. I drive a lot so any more frequent is a waste of $ for me. The drain plug and filter are both real easy to access. You do spill a little bit of oil when unscrewing the filter, but it's easily caught by the drain pan and then wipe off the parts it bathes with a shop cloth. Much easier access than my old Contour.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cueball, Thanks for the helpful info. I'll be getting a 3.0L SEL. I'll do the 1st change at 1 - 1.2K, then next at 4K, then every 4K . Not sure if I'll use Ford 5w-20, or 5w-30 syn. blend.
What do you do for the AT fluid interval / changes ? Never owned an AT before, I know I WON'T try doing it myself, DEALER ONLY JOB !!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
My dealership tells me that if I use anything other the 5w-20 I lose my warranty. Also MechWarrior, what the heck(not trying to offend anyone) are you doing mixing conventional and synthetic? I've always been told that is exactly NOT what you are supposed to do and once you which to synthetic you don't go back and always keep a spare quart in the trunk by every mechanic, car/service salesman(that didn't say they didn't have a clue), instructor at the local college for the racing class I have even talked to.
As for the Ford synthetic, it is 0% synthetic. There's a reason it's called Semi-Synthetic, because it's not synthetic. All they do refine like you said about 15% of it so that it is basically super refined to take out all the impurities to be classified as synthetic.
Well anyway, I could rant and rave about this for a while so I think I will leave this as my $0.02, with the addition of saying that at least people on here change there oil at least as often as they should, it drives me crazy when you ask someone when the last time their oil was changed and they say "I dunno" or "A year or two ago," or the worse, "I never have/What's that?" That's why I don't ever plan on buying a used car again.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't recall the exact interval for the AT fluid. I know some cars it's 30k. It's in the service manual.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it possible to use full synthetic in the fusion? Would it make a difference? On paper its supposed to but would it actually? What brand do you guys use/recommend?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did not realize there are so many people obssesed with changing oil.............just change it for christ's sake and move on!

·
Registered
69 Posts
tnoah, Maybe you don't know this, but oil is the LIFEBLOOD of your engine / car.
You neglect / don't care about it, you don't have a rig anymore, or a very EXPENSIVE repair bill to deal with anyway. To be sure, some people over-analyze the subject, but you should always be concerned & thinking about it.
Keep your car in " new car condition " as best as possible, inside & out. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
guys just use to 5w20 ford says to use and depending on your driving conditions change it every 3k or 5k. but take it from someone that put a engine in a 05 escape the other day (which is the same engine the v6 fusion has) dont got to far over 5k. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.