FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to change my oil last week but I kept reading posts on hear about the allen wren and the filter socket or what ever I needed. I grabbed my old trusty oil filter wrench (the one that hugs the filter as you turn it) I use on all my vehicles. I used it and it loosened the cap with no problems, but I didn't have an allen wrench for that damn bolt. So, I decided to take it to the service station and have it changed as usual. I went to my friend's shop since he lets me stand in the shop and watch him work. He didn't even remove the bolt. He just removed the cap, pulled off the old filter, and put the new one on. :shock: I was like, "That's it?" :? I thought the bolt had to be removed. Does anyone here see anything wrong with not removing the bolt? I see it only being done to drain the oil form the filter housing to eliminate making a big mess when removing the filter cap as well as not burning yourself with hot oil.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yep -- others have claimed this as well. Some plan to remove/change the o-ring every 4th Oil Change. I have not changed mine yet. I plan to soon -- at 1500 mi. I don't think I'll remove the plug for the first change. I would highly suggest buying Autozone's Oil Filter Cap Wrench "B" -- as it fits perfectly. You'll eventually wear out/ruin your cap with a "grabby wrench". It's a great $4 investment.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yeah, no need to take out the bolt every time. I was the one who picked the fourth oil change randomly because once every 20K sounds good. Honestly, I know people that have gone a few years without taking the bolt out and are fine. It's just one less step you have to do...you don't have to drain it...all the oil will drain when you take off the cartridge cap. Don't make things harder than they are...it's a simple oil change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote author=koreySE link=topic=81799.msg1525085#msg1525085 date=1183063483]
I would highly suggest buying Autozone's Oil Filter Cap Wrench "B" -- as it fits perfectly. You'll eventually wear out/ruin your cap with a "grabby wrench". It's a great $4 investment.
[/quote]

I did the first oil change on the car yesterday, and other than whoever did the last oil change really torquing the oil pan bolt on it was pretty easy. Oh and the first twist I put on the AZ Filter Cap Wrench "B" snapped the inner ring out of it, where the ratchet connects. This particular cap wrench had two spot welds on the same side holding it in, but after I ran to the AZ and got it replaced it worked like a charm. Also did a tire rotation on it to, and the breaker bar that came with factory jack set is actually worth something unlike so many others that I've had to deal with. I don't think I'll have to keep my four-way in the car any more with that thing.

I used a Wix filter and in went in and out without twisting, the one that I pulled out was twisted, as has been noted by other people doing the oil changes on the I4.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got mine from CarQuest. I think it was the Wix filter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I get my oil filters at Walmart. Good ole Motorcraft FL820-S.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So no one is getting the OEM filter? For my Odyssey I typically get the OEM online and it costs the same as the store bought (if you get 6 at a time). For my old car (Saturn) I would get Fram. Mostly because I like that material they put on it to help you grip it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you like the Fram grippy, you'd be much better off buying the Advance Auto Parts in-store brand. They are made by Purolator. Haven't you seen the comparison of the cut-open Fram vs. Motorcraft at your dealer? Don't get me wrong, I used Fram on my first car for 5 years, and it went over 100,000 miles. I was using very high quality oil though. I'll never go back to Fram after reading, and seeing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have never seen it! I used Fram in my Saturn, which I sold with 152,000 miles. The filters are so cheap it might be worth doing my own study. Now all I need is time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
[quote author=rmayes link=topic=81799.msg1660711#msg1660711 date=1187788449]
So no one is getting the OEM filter?
[/quote]
Maybe you posted too close to see my previous reply. I do.

·
Registered
80 Posts
[quote author=Cueball link=topic=81799.msg1666723#msg1666723 date=1187969165]
[quote author=rmayes link=topic=81799.msg1660711#msg1660711 date=1187788449]
So no one is getting the OEM filter?
[/quote]
Maybe you posted too close to see my previous reply. I do.
[/quote]

Sorry I missed it. I did't know Walmart sold them.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=rmayes link=topic=81799.msg1661618#msg1661618 date=1187806960]
I have never seen it! I used Fram in my Saturn, which I sold with 152,000 miles. The filters are so cheap it might be worth doing my own study. Now all I need is time.
[/quote]

You really need to see it... Fram = Cardboard/Rubber Motorcraft = Metal/Rubber

And it's the same even if it's their expensive $7-$10 Tough Guard filters. Also, the cardboard has been known to let some oil just by-pass without being filtered. I'm not saying that using Fram filters would kill you car, but at least I want to know that the filter I install is doing it's proper job.

Also, the SuperTech filters at Wal-Mart are good as well, but I would still recommend Motorcraft if it's available.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Well, first oil change with my car. While on a mechanical level, it's not that bad, I still have to say it's a ridiculous oil change procedure. 2 O-rings to replace, to under car shroud covers to remove, etc. It also didn't help that whoever did the changes before me rounded the corners on the oil filter cap, so I had to use channel locks (after waiting for NAPA to open to buy the right 74mm wrench). Next time won't be so bad, but hopefully the filter cap isn't that expensive so I can have one that actually grabs at the filter wrench.

So, again, not bad. However, having two Fomoco's cars in the family and both being of poor design for oil changes kinda irks me.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm glad my I4 doesn't have the shroud. Filter cap wrench B from AutoZone fits perfectly. I did the first oil change on my car in 15 total minutes. It was real easy to do.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=81799.msg1701591#msg1701591 date=1189387000]
I'm glad my I4 doesn't have the shroud. Filter cap wrench B from AutoZone fits perfectly. I did the first oil change on my car in 15 total minutes. It was real easy to do.
[/quote]

It won't take me near as long next time. Regardless, I still think it's a ridiculous procedure. I've had cartridge filters before, but they were located at the top of the engine (Ecotec). If they're going to use such a silly, unnecessary design, at least put it up top.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.