FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wish Ford had offered Nav with a Manual. I really like the OEM look and it is a decent unit as it is a Pioneer AVIC with six disk and extra drive for the NAV DVD. Now I could get a Kenwood as the once pictured below and get Garmin Nav. What would you guys recommend?

Alex

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone here have OEM nav? If so how do you like it?

Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have it and love it! Very intuitive, more features than I'll ever learn, and it works just great. Sound is fine, and nav display is awesome! Having redundant controls on the wheel is a wonderful feature. I'm one of those people that believes if you can find it on the lot the way you want it you take it. The only reason I would think of going with someone elses unit would be to install a ham radio locating package in the car which I have no plans to do. Test drive one, that's the best way to find out.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The I4 manual does not come with NAV, which is crap I believe. I want the OEM look, but I might go with After Market as they might give me more options for a better price, unless I can find an OEM for less than 700 USD.

Alex

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just put in a factory nav from a mercury mountaineer into my 2006 SEL. Steering wheel controls work and the rear 6x9's that came with the audiophile also get signal. Steering wheel controls also work.

Some thoughts on it: I got it off ebay for around 600. I sort of bought it by accident, it was a buy it now for 800 or best offer. I sent a really low ball offer and I didnt expect the guy to accept and when he did, I didnt know it was binding. Anyways, I love it. It looks much better than the non navigation unit. As for sound, one this is for certain, the nav system is ALOT heavier than the factory radio that I had in it. I suspect it is partially because of a beefier amp. It puts out ALOT more power. I know if I max the volume, the speakers WILL blow. I need to change the speakers all around soon. It doesnt play DVDs but I love the factory look. I reccomend it above aftermarket.

·
Registered
505 Posts
what is so special about the "OEM look" anyways???

on some cars the OEM nav systems look very nice and clean, often times using different bezels and panels. but the Fusion's Nav system just bolts in place of the regular stereo. it doesn't look as clean as other vehicles, and IMNSHO it actually looks "cheap".

is it really worth the high cost for a mediocre-quality, feature-limited, non-upgradeable system? $1500 factory option and it doesn't even play DVDs???? yikes!! (that probably means that you can't add a backup camera to it either ;)) for that kind of money I would expect alot more out of that system.

the bottom line is... there are better options out there if you're willing to spend that much money. from high-end nav/dvd systems to bolt-in/in-dash computers (like the Infill G4).

just my 2¢

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree, the factory nav system is a rip off as an option. If anyone wants the ford one, best to look on ebay and pay alot less.

However, about why I prefer the factory system, I like it because it fills in the entire space. I like the AVIC D3 alot but as you notice they do not fill in the entire space and an ugly textured black plastic trim has to go around it. That looks pretty cheesy to me. I know you get more features such as dvd playback, backup camera. I dont know about you, but I do not watch dvds in my car so this was not a concern about mine (but the idea of playing dvd audio discs seems interesting). There is a company that sells a box that hooks up to the rear harness and creates RCA inputs for a back up camera, video input, etc.

Also, the factory system is nice because if/ when i sell the car (not any time soon), I can easily yank out the system and sell it on ebay again. Used factory nav systems have a bigger market than used aftermarket. Its all preference, people should get what they want. I was not dissapointed with the factory nav. Again, if an aftermarket one was the same size as the factory one, I'd have that.

What would be interesting is if somebody with the avic d3 would bondo the plastic gap trip from the install kit to the bezel, smooth it out and paint it gloss black, then it would match the rest of the center counsel trim as well as the gloss black radio. That'd look sweet.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Go aftermarket. Alot more options, and way easier to bypass so you can watch dvd's and use the nav. while you are driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote author=Tweek link=topic=83076.msg1829773#msg1829773 date=1194126080]
Go aftermarket. Alot more options, and way easier to bypass so you can watch dvd's and use the nav. while you are driving.

[/quote]

Is there a way to play DVDs on the factory Nav system? I have heard there's a way on GMs, but haven't heard on Fords.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am not sure, but I do know it MUCH harder to bypass then the D-3. Took me 5 minutes to do. :lol:

·
Registered
505 Posts
the OEM nav unit doesn't play videos. it uses a DVD for the nav/map data (it doesn't have a HDD).

there is almost no advantage to the OEM nav unit over aftermarket units. the pictures on Ford's website show the OEM nav unit and the map interface. it looks like GPS units from 5 years ago! it's just a plain boring 2D map, where are the nice 3D rich color maps (the "TomTom look").

as far as the "clean look" goes... the D3 install in Tweek's car looks very clean and IMO looks much better than the OEM nav unit. (I would have painted the trim kit to match the gloss black radio bezel, but that's just me ;))

·
Registered
399 Posts
THANKS fusionfanatic!!

I never really thought about painting the bracket... humm :)

The Fusion is a PERFECT fit for the Avic D-3.
Like Fanatic said, there is NO reason why you should choose the stock over the Pioneer. The D-3 does everything, some say the NAV could be better, but I think it works perfectly. I have absolutley nothing bad to say about this player, just be careful when your watching movies and driving, it really is dangerous! Ohh and if anyone needs to know how to to do the Bypass, let me know, its very easy. :klavergreg:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Doesn't the OEM Nav have voice activation?? or that is just a lincoln option??
From Lincoln.com:
Voice-Activated Navigation System
MKZ can be equipped with an optional state-of-the-art, voice-activated Navigation System. The DVD-based Navigation System features high-quality graphics, touch-screen simplicity and turn-by-turn voice guidance in English, French or Spanish. Both the audio and navigation systems can be operated via preset voice commands.
Doesn't the OEM also have 6 disc in dash player?

Anyway, in the zephyr/mkz; the trim (non Nav) panel is harder to make it fit a decent aftermarket radio. SO I kept the factory radio and bought a Garmin Nuvi 650. So far I love it. It is also around $400 if you look around. very good nav-system for that price. I can also use it on more than one car 8)

·
Registered
505 Posts
[quote author=pkoko link=topic=83076.msg1891316#msg1891316 date=1196615227]
Doesn't the OEM Nav have voice activation?? or that is just a lincoln option??
[/quote]
from the pictures, the OEM nav units look the same for all 3 cars (the MKZ's has a lighter face plate color to match the bezel) but that's the only difference I can see. as for the voice recognition/commands, that would be a nice feature for somebody who uses it. I have that capability with my setup and I don't use it, to me it's a nice novelty but the touchscreen is easier and faster. with a well laid out touchcscreen interface you can enter destinations and change settings in seconds. for some people though the voice command may be an important feature to them. the AVIC-D3 doesn't have voice command but the higher models do (and any full PC based system will)

[/quote]
yes, but it's old tech now... the 6-disc CD changer would have been a hit 5 years ago, but nowadays MP3 players have pretty much replaced the traditional CD as an easier and more practical way to store and play music files. 6 CDs don't hold alot of music unless it's in MP3 format, and if that's the case then why bother with CDs??

in the zephyr/mkz; the trim (non Nav) panel is harder to make it fit a decent aftermarket radio
[/quote]
that's an easy fix, just buy the factory nav bezel (it's $43 at teamfordparts.com).

SO I kept the factory radio and bought a Garmin Nuvi 650. So far I love it. It is also around $400 if you look around. very good nav-system for that price. I can also use it on more than one car 8)
[/quote]
for the price it's good, and being able to move it from car to car could be an advantage. but IMO having a tacky suction cut mount GPS stuck to the windshield ruins the beautiful MKZ interior. not to mention that it just begs to be stolen (smash'n'grab).

Personally i don't understand how one could spend over $30,000 on a car then cheap out on a GPS option, but If you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

:csweeney:

·
Registered
221 Posts
for those deciding between OEM NAV and aftermarket; please don't forget that the OEM maps become obsolete quickly. I do't think they are upgradable. Almost all aftermarket Nav has upgraded/updated maps.

Quote from: pkoko on Today at 12:07:07 PM
yes, but it's old tech now... the 6-disc CD changer would have been a hit 5 years ago, but nowadays MP3 players have pretty much replaced the traditional CD as an easier and more practical way to store and play music files. 6 CDs don't hold alot of music unless it's in MP3 format, and if that's the case then why bother with CDs??
I personally use 3 MP3 Cds in my 6 disc changer. One slot is for music(not my everyday tastes) for my friends. And 2 for other CDs that are too new for me to rewrite to CDs. That is my music setup. I also have the auxiliary input adapter installed. I don't want to spend more $$ on a dedicated MP3 player that is:
1) a hasale to use when drving-- I can't drive w/o steering wheel controls.
2) puts out inferior sound quality. I tested it with my ipod. I am also using the most expensive (monter) ipod connector. The same MP3 CDs sound better.
3- The MKZ only has 2 power outlets. I like to keep the cigarettes lighter closed. So I only have one to use. I like to keep it for charging my phone. Anyway I don't like wires around my car. I know the atermarket NAV needs power; I don't use it everyday. More on that below. But Ipod, power adapter, IPOD connector is too many wires. when MP3 CDs are just as good. CDs are also very very cheap.

that's an easy fix, just buy the factory nav bezel (it's $43 at teamfordparts.com).
Really :) I didn't know that. I may have upgraded differently if I knew that. I thought it was $200-300.

for the price it's good, and being able to move it from car to car could be an advantage. but IMO having a tacky suction cut mount GPS stuck to the windshield ruins the beautiful MKZ interior. not to mention that it just begs to be stolen (smash'n'grab).

Personally i don't understand how one could spend over $30,000 on a car then cheap out on a GPS option, but If you're happy with it then that's all that matters.
Let me start by saying the only use I have for NAV is when I am on vacation trips. I don't get lost where I live. I am very good wih maps and don't mind asking directions and exploring. I drive the same trips everyday. A NAV systen for me is a real luxury and not necesarry. It is really more of a just in case thing. So I don't use it every day. I don't even have in my car everyday. I let my Dad/Mom borrow it. They get lost all the time :lol: They love it. I only use it when it is necessary.

Yes aftermarket nav ruins the mkz interior- no question. It is also risky to get stolen (thank goodness for tinted windows). I would love to have a stealth looking nav option. but when buying my car it wasn't easy. I loved the color combination of my car and didn't want sunroof due to headroom issues (I am big). So I looked & looked for such a car for around 3 weeks. Some reason, dealers only put nav on cars with every available option. I was told to get regular nav (w/o sunroof & ugly $1000 chrome wheels(big waste of $1k IMHO)) you have to order it. I even decided to order one, but every dealer told me to avoid the hassle. Ordering also could not guarentee delevery time. A big point for me. I was almost done with my Saab lease in 2 months. I couldn't be w/o a car. So I bought the closest car I found on the lot. I wasn't even looking to buy that day. The dealer gave me an attractive offer (lower than 2 other dealers). I even had them "deliver" the car 14 days. So I don't double pay both payements.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a fully upgraded system with speakers, and amps and I can tell no quality difference between my Ipod and burning the songs on a CD. Either way they come from I Tunes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ohh and also knowing that the OEM does NOT play videos is horrible. I love the fact that I can play movies while in the car. I know I know its not safe, and I am sure someone will say I am a Dumb Ass, but fuck em. When your stuck in traffic, or at a Border, lets say to Canada, man watching a good flic really helps pass the time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
there certainly should not be any audio quality difference between listening to an Ipod or a CD. that's just an indication of the poor quality of the factory system and/or the Ipod adapter he bought. it's just one more reason to replace the factory system.

many aftermarket head units (including many Pioneer models) have a built in Ipod connection and can listen/control an Ipod without buying anything extra.

:csweeney:

·
Registered
126 Posts
As I said before, I choose to buy the factory nav system off of ebay instead of the avic d3. The main reason is that I like the appearance of the factory nav system, it looks sweet. Also, I just installed trip tunes so I can plug in an mp3 player or whatever and it sounds fine. The 6cd changer is great, I have it loaded with cds and mp3 cds.

I cant watch dvds? boo hoo. I'll live... it wasnt the massive selling point to me. Plus the avic d3 was about $100 more (i got the ford nav for about $600).

The map upgrades are readily available. You can get them off ebay for $60 shipped for the most current. Since ford uses the same nav system in practically all its cars, there is a large market for keeping up to date upgraded maps.

It is all preference. Would it be nice to play movies? hell yeah, but i would probably never use it. Ive only used the navigation once since I bought it. I mostly got it for looks and because I'm an idiot that spends more than I can afford. I hate the stock radio in the fusion. It looks like absolute garbage. I also want to add that the factory nav system puts out alot more power than the regular radio. I noticed a difference comparable to going aftermarket. I believe it has the same internal amp as the avics which is nice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts