FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The 2006 Fusion is my first car that uses OBD2 so I did some research. I even got the Workshop manuals on CD. On Board Diagnostics 2 (OBD2) is a standard for testing and getting information from the powertrain and emission control system. Ford also uses the provision for "extended diagnostics" for non-emission components. OBD2 is how the trouble codes are read and the check engine light is cleared. A Scan Tool is connected to a standard plug located behind the OBD door (below the steering wheel) on the Fusion. It is also possible to read real-time parameters like Engine RPM, Engine Load, Fuel Trim, etc.

Not all Scan Tools will work on the Fusion. You need a Scan Tool that supports CAN. CAN is a standard for modules to communicate with each other developed by Bosch in the 1980s. It has the advantage of reducing the amount of wires needed to interconnect modules. All that is needed is a twisted pair of wires that connect all the modules. Messages are sent on the wires and modules act upon messages of interest.

OBD2 supports several different vehicle networking methods but did not support CAN until the standard was revised in 2003. From the information I read new standards are going into effect in 2008 that mandate CAN only for OBD3. Since 2004 Ford has been changing over to CAN graudually. It is likely to meet the new standards. The Mazda 6 also uses CAN.

The Fusion has two CAN networks. A high speed 500 kilobit per second one is used for the Powertrain, OBD2, ABS, and other critical real-time systems. A medium speed 125 kilobit per second one is used for the body (radio, seat, locks). This is a reason why older Ford radios or XM direct modules will not work in the Fusion. Any electronics that communicate with the vehicle needs to use CAN and not the previously used J1850 standard.

I also found some sites on the internet about building or buying an interface that connects the OBD connector to a computer. I found most of the open source software does not support CAN. ELM Electronics makes interesting OBD2 chips that others have made into OBD2 interface products. It looks like CAN support is a recent development which may explain why it is not widely supported yet.
http://www.elmelectronics.com/

One of the interesting CAN projects involves a 2004 Prius that also uses CAN for the Powertrain and OBD2.
http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/CAN/cindex.html
I ordered the USB version of the CAN bus interface, the J1962 male connector with pins, and a DB9 female connector.
http://www.canusb.com/
The connection on the Fusion is the same as the Prius and I wired the adapter the same, except no power from the OBD connector is required for the USB version of the interface. Since I already run Linux on my laptop, I was able to use the tools on the Prius project pages to start decoding the CAN messages on my Fusion. Now comes the long process of decoding the information without breaking the car. :)

The first goal is to develop some OBD2 software for reading and clearing codes. I want to read engine parameters as well. Maybe I will eventually do an advanced message center. I find it interesting that some people mod their cars by putting computers in them. Originally it was to play mp3s but seems to have expanded into other areas.
http://www.mp3car.com/

73 Eric

·
Registered
580 Posts
Eric : Good job! I was looking for a hand held device but the computer is a bettter option. I just have not had much info on the software but your data shoud help. Thank You. I got my workshop manuals from Helms. Are these CDs from Helms?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The XCal2 that I sell is CAN, reads codes, can datalog and of course reflash... It can be used standalone or with a laptop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=Cross Bolt link=topic=38181.msg553049#msg553049 date=1137973173]
Eric : Good job! I was looking for a hand held device but the computer is a bettter option. I just have not had much info on the software but your data shoud help. Thank You. I got my workshop manuals from Helms. Are these CDs from Helms?
[/quote]

Hello,

Yes I did get it from Helms. I found that the CD works out cheaper because it includes the Workshop manual, Wiring Diagram, and Emissions Manual which are separate items in print form.

73 Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts