FordFusionClub.com banner

Is there any type of fix for this problem?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( On my 2007 Ford Fusion S - it sounds like a broken shock absorber on an older vechicle. Noise happens when going over small or large bumps in road. Any ideas on this?

Thank You - RAY in PA([email protected])

PS: dealer states - This is a normal trait of this vechicle! Need anyones help on this - it's driving me crazy to think this is a new car!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Don't you just love it! I was told the same thing. I am still working with the service mgr. to try and find out what it is. Although in my car even if it sounds like it's coming from the rear it is most likely coming from the front and the sound is traveling. Since when are they building cars that have a normal trait of a clunk or rattle noise. Yea....$20,000 + for your car, so the clunk/rattle is free of charge. Bend over, grab your ankles, smile and say thank you!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I Have never noticed this on my fusion "yet". But My wifes 01 cougar has had this same problem since day 1 They replaced the struts/springs and bushings probably 3 times in the last 6 years. It can be very frustrating when dealing with noises like this.

·
Registered
833 Posts
That is the exact point!. Obviously it is not a normal trait of the vehicle. Otherwise there would be a lot of unhappy Fusion/Milan owners like arose and myself. So, when the dealer says that, we know it is only because there is no profit in finding the problem. This is a short sighted approach. Since while overall I like the "concept" (ride, styling, handling, comfort)of this car, I have had far too many issues to consider another one. I consider myself a car enthusiast, but I have not been able to enjoy the better traits of this car yet. Since I have very few options to get out of it I can only hope that the issues can get fixed in a short time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do you know! I guess I'm going to add my self to the list.I heard the same clunking noise for the first time today .

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=76074.msg1373348#msg1373348 date=1177881453]
I Have never noticed this on my fusion "yet". But My wifes 01 cougar has had this same problem since day 1 They replaced the struts/springs and bushings probably 3 times in the last 6 years. It can be very frustrating when dealing with noises like this.
[/quote]
I hope you didn't have to pay for all of those repairs, that it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am having the same noise from the right rear suspension..sounds like the shock is squeaky...I'm gonna try and grease the strut a little bit...

what have you guys done to fix this?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have had my car to the dealer again with no better results, same answer. They supposedly went over the suspension to check for anything that could be loose and have found nothing. This is very frustrating. I like the car a lot but, it is hard to really enjoy it when I hit a bump and hear the rattles. Makes me want to get rid of it. Unfortunately that is not a realistic option, I would lose too much money. So all I can say for now is that Ford (Mercury) has lost a future customer. I will most likely go back to Honda. In 25+ years of Hondas I have not had this many problems with a new car. Everyone cries about not giving the American car companies a chance. I did and it has not been a positive experience. I wish it was.

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=76074.msg1592795#msg1592795 date=1185596694]
I have had my car to the dealer again with no better results, same answer. They supposedly went over the suspension to check for anything that could be loose and have found nothing. This is very frustrating. I like the car a lot but, it is hard to really enjoy it when I hit a bump and hear the rattles. Makes me want to get rid of it. Unfortunately that is not a realistic option, I would lose too much money. So all I can say for now is that Ford (Mercury) has lost a future customer. I will most likely go back to Honda. In 25+ years of Hondas I have not had this many problems with a new car. Everyone cries about not giving the American car companies a chance. I did and it has not been a positive experience. I wish it was.
[/quote]

Not to sound like a smart [email protected]%^; have you asked the dealer to drive a smilart car and see if does the same thing?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Mine is 18 mos. old and counting and I haven't had the problem YET. Notice that little 3 letter word. Seems like the editors of the mags-(Road&track & etc) would've ate that shit up if it were in fact a design flaw. Also it seems that if it were a flaw, it be noticeable and consistent on all models. But, what the hell do I know! Sorry for all your troubles, hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=themason link=topic=76074.msg1632012#msg1632012 date=1186910058]
If it is coming from the rear passenger side then try looking at the jack as a possibility, just take out the jack and see if the noise goes away. another thing would be to take off the wheel and make sure the strut is tightly secured to the top of the strut tower. I would take a wild guess and try the jack components though.
[/quote]
Boy..........wouldn't that be a pisser! Sit and wait at the dealership and it turn out to be a loose jack. So much for technical training huh? Who woulda thunk it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well I know my noise is not from the jack. That's the first thing I checked. Also, after listening to the noise very carefully, numerous times, I now believe that it actually may be coming from the front. Even though it sounds like it's in the back the noise is audible when I go over a speed bump before I even hit the rear wheels!?!?!?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Do you know what spring tipping is? If you think it's coming from the front I'd try taking the wheel off and make sure the spring is centered. If it's tilted slightly (it's happened to me before on my contour) the spring will rotate on a side and tap the retaining cup from suspension movement. Also, if you have access to a lift or a good jack then look at all the hard lines that run under the floor board, specifically where the lines get close to the body and look for signs of impact (it could possibly be something that only hits when the suspension is moderately to highly active.) I'll keep coming up with different ideas as much as possible but it's hard for me to know, seeing that my noise came from the jack. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Just install some Eibachs and quit bi***ing about how Honda is so much better when we all know that it isn't.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If you had this problem you would be bi***ing too. This car is a step in the right direction, but the interior quality is very poor. Ford has a way to go before they put out a car as good as a Honda. It's fact, not an opinion!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I strongly disagree.

I just rented a 2007 Honda Accord for a long road trip and was extremely disappointed.

The wind noise out of the driver's window was horrible.

The sun visors shook and made noise the whole time.

The ride was not as comfortable as my Fusion.

The seats were not as comfortable as my Fusion.

The stereo was not as nice as my Fusion.

The air conditioner had no power even when cruising at 75mph on the highway.

The drivetrain made a horrible squeaking noise for 75% of the trip that drove me and my wife crazy.

After only 5 days with a Honda I saw that their quality control has gone to hell!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
To all those with the right rear noise: I had an obnoxious and loud rattle develop from this area of my 06 4cyl auto Fusion. It developed out of the blue...and it was loud. I felt it sounded like the brake calipers had broked or something like that. I took it to the dealer...are you ready for this? They found some very small rocks/pebbles had found themselves lodged between the muffler and the heat shield or the heat shield and the car body, I can't remember which. So they removed them and I haven't had that noise, or any noises, since.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.