FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running Nitrous in their tires? I purchased a used 06 SE equipped w/ Purigen Nitrous. I have heard that it helps with tire life and MPG.

Feedback?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think you mean Nitrogen ??
I work in the car biz and this is the new thing that's just starting to catch on. Most dealerships that already have Nitrogen will put it in the vech's on their lot .

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Eh working for Discount tire, we play around with alot of new / diff stuff to test it out to see if we can sell it to our customers. I have yet to see anything that would make me spend the extra money for it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have a nitrogen fill in my tires. They filled them with it when I bought my tires. My PSI stays steady...I haven't put any air in three of my tires since I gotten them. I still check them regularly but they are holding. The fourth tire had a nail in it which had to get plugged. It lost some air during the nail incident but it's doing fine now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If u just have to have nitrogen in your tires, don't go have your oil changed somewhere without them knowing or they'll put reg. air in 'em. PITA if u ask me, but it would prob. be nice in the winter months. I really can't make myself believe they would make a damn with mpg though. Air vs Nitrogen? I don't think it would be worth the dough.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=mxj0048 link=topic=82513.msg1540157#msg1540157 date=1183754817]
Is anyone running Nitrous in their tires? I purchased a used 06 SE equipped w/ Purigen Nitrous. I have heard that it helps with tire life and MPG.

Feedback?
[/quote]

Hi mxj. :wavey: This is one of those well/maybe type questions.

If you are the type of person who regularly checks their tires air pressure and maintains them correctly, then you really will not see much of a benefit.

You will theoretically see a better interior tire life due to decreased oxidation of the tire from air/moisture inside the tire. But for most of us, that is a big "so what", as our tires usually wear out from the outside (tread) first. You will see no "real life" increased tire life over air, unless you are the type who neglects their tires (and car) and does not already keep their tires properly inflated.

You will not see any MPG increase with nitrogen vs air, if you normally maintain your tire properly with air now.

If you are looking for a more idiot proof method of tire inflation, so that you don't need to check them as often for routine maintenance, then yes, nitrogen is a better way. But again, what if you have a slow leak due to a puncture? You still need to check the pressure regularly. And where are you going to get the tires refilled if you need nitrogen? You can't just go to your corner service station and get a nitrogen refill. And as "KaBooM" stated, you will need to be extra careful when you have any type of service done on your car, so that the Service Tech does not fill your tires with regular air.

Nitrogen filled tires are supposed to have a special cap (blue, I believe) that indicates the tire contains nitrogen, but that is no guarantee that the person doing the service will recognize/notice/pay attention to it.

Seems like a more expensive way of maintaining your car that most of us don't need, and would see little to no benefit from.

Like anything else, you have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself and see if the cost is justified.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You can put "regular" air in a Nitrogen filled tire. I have a nitro fill done when I got my tires (free w/ purchase) and it's more than fine to refill. I had to do it when I had a nail in the tire. Over the course of a month, the other three tires lost 0 PSI. I lost PSI on the tire with the hole and had to refill with regular air.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=82513.msg1549581#msg1549581 date=1184170085]
You can put "regular" air in a Nitrogen filled tire. I have a nitro fill done when I got my tires (free w/ purchase) and it's more than fine to refill. I had to do it when I had a nail in the tire. Over the course of a month, the other three tires lost 0 PSI. I lost PSI on the tire with the hole and had to refill with regular air.
[/quote]

Hi mrc! :wavey: Yes, of course you can put regular air in a nitrogen filled tire (my bad, should have made that clear, I just sort of figured that goes without saying). But it would be foolish to do that after you have paid for a nitrogen fill.

In your case, that wouldn't be too big a deal, since the nitrogen fill was "free".

But what happens to someone who paid for a nitrogen fill? Once you put regular air into the tire and "contaminate" the nitrogen, you lose most of the theoretical "benefits" of a nitrogen fill, and have now wasted your money. It doesn't make the nitrogen dangerous, just worthless (i.e. essentially no better than regular air in the tire).

Just one of the reasons why, in my opinion, it is not worth paying for. Of course, others may have a different opinion, and I respect that. :hug:

Good luck! :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts