FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here but not new to my 2010 fusion

2.5, 6 speed, sport blue, sport monochromatic pkg

I bough the car for my wife in the fall of 2014 w 64k on it. Just after halloween '21 she didnt set the parking brake all the way and th car rolled down the driveway and damaged the passenger door, fender and rear bumper cover. Insurance totaled it. I bought it back and fixed it. it will now be MY runaround and commuter.

I am looking for a truck floor mat and some sort of back up camera,
Suggestions, ones to stay away from? I dont want to say money is of no object but But i dont like to buy cheap, because you get what you pay for

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome!

I could never combine the 2 in one car, the manual transmission, and the monochrome package (for the suspension and wheels), so I gave up on that and got a Sport instead.

I personally just kept scouring the junk yard to get the OEM backup camera and a rear view mirror with the display. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger and completing the install. I tried a 4.3 inch monitor but never really found a good place for it. I tried replacing the change drawer with a mount, tried it over the CD slot (where I dock my cell phone for Android Auto), and nothing really worked well. Even the small little display in the rear view mirror is better.

I also tried a combo backup sensor/camera that mounted on the license plate, but the quality wasn't there, it wasn't much better than squinting through the tiny mail slot rear window (with very dark tint).

I also added electromagnetic (versus sonar) backup sensor, it is okay, it just depends on movement more than just something being there, so it isn't the best.

The you pull it junk yard was pretty cheap, even though they charged me for an electronic rear view mirror (instead of a simple manual one), the camera is part of the third tail light and that is what they charged me for. I think I am in for $30 for the 2 parts, the RCA cable from front to rear. I want to swap out the chrome piece on the center light for the body colored one on my car, it seems doable but slightly destructive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!

I could never combine the 2 in one car, the manual transmission, and the monochrome package (for the suspension and wheels), so I gave up on that and got a Sport instead.

I personally just kept scouring the junk yard to get the OEM backup camera and a rear view mirror with the display. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger and completing the install. I tried a 4.3 inch monitor but never really found a good place for it. I tried replacing the change drawer with a mount, tried it over the CD slot (where I dock my cell phone for Android Auto), and nothing really worked well. Even the small little display in the rear view mirror is better.

I also tried a combo backup sensor/camera that mounted on the license plate, but the quality wasn't there, it wasn't much better than squinting through the tiny mail slot rear window (with very dark tint).

I also added electromagnetic (versus sonar) backup sensor, it is okay, it just depends on movement more than just something being there, so it isn't the best.

The you pull it junk yard was pretty cheap, even though they charged me for an electronic rear view mirror (instead of a simple manual one), the camera is part of the third tail light and that is what they charged me for. I think I am in for $30 for the 2 parts, the RCA cable from front to rear. I want to swap out the chrome piece on the center light for the body colored one on my car, it seems doable but slightly destructive.

So this era car had the factory camera? Was the screen in the radio screen or in the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, for 2010, if you had an SEL with the available Drivers Package then it had a rear view camera. If you don't have navigation, it is the rear view mirror display. If you have navigation, it is in the navigation screen.
In this image, the camera that is just a rounded bump is the OEM one (the other is an aftermarket one I tried, with sonic sensors, that didn't work out so well for me):

If you had a 60inch TV in your car....

I am not sure how much more work yours would be, I already have power in reverse to the mirror (so it won't auto dim), and for the camera I could try to find a hot in run (which the OEM camera uses, it is always powered), or tap into reverse lights (which the camera seems to initialize as fast as the video display so should be okay).

You can find examples of the rear view mirror on eBay to see how wee little it is. Instead of paying $80-120 for the mirror and $100 for the camera, I just waited for an SEL to hit the junk yard and try to be the first to it. It took 4 2010-2012s to come in before I got the camera (someone busted up the trim and light trying to open the trunk on the first one), and one without navigation to get the mirror.

You can probably also mix and match. I have used the OEM camera with any display (like my 65 inch TV, a 4.3 inch LCD, etc), and the mirror display seemed to work with any source like that cheap combo camera/sensor module.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also...as the unintended recipient of my neighbors car many times in my front yard and up against my mailbox, you do put it in 1st or reverse in addition to parking brake right? My neighbor didn't and I couldn't talk him into the fact he needed to. Luckily he eventually got rid of it and went automatic only.

• Haha
Reactions: bbf2530

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is the size of the in mirror video display. This is using some random dash cam as the source, and not the OEM camera.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts