FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a V6SE AWD with the factory 4 speaker CD6 system. The stock sound is pretty bad. Boomy floppy sounding bass, decent highs and recessed mids. The head unit is rated for decent power so I decided to replace the speakers first. Since I was very impressed with the JBL Power series speakers I put in our Subaru wagon I decided to go with speakers from that line. I ended up with these: p8652 6x8 coaxials in the rear doors and P550C 5.25 components with adaptors in the front doors. The total cost would have been around $450 from an authorized dealer but I got them both for around $250 shipped on Ebay. Yes I don't get a factory warranty but I have never had a car audio speaker that I put in fail and at that price I can replace them if they do. The sound is so much better that there is literally no comparison. It now sounds like a true high fidelity system. It would probably sound even a bit better with an amp and head unit but it sounds good enough now and no further upgrading is really necessary. It probably would have only cost Ford $150 to put speakers like this in the car. I often wonder why most stock audio systems have such junk speakers in them. I guess so many people shop for cars buy squeezing the dealer for every dollar that an additional $150 on the sticker would lose them a bunch of sales.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Most people don't compare car stereo's or crank it up when cross-shoping cars. Why spend money on something that most people would never notice??

·
Registered
22 Posts
How hard was it to install the four speakers. Did you have to buy any extra wire for connecting everything. I have never installed new speakers in my car and like you said i can get them very cheap on ebay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Blake

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hummmm.. Interesting comment about the manufacturing. As said, I think they would squeeze every penny they can for stuff that people pay less attention too and make other things look a million bucks WHILE spending as less as the can for things that people do care.

That's the consumer way of seeing things. In reality, I think the process is far more complex; parts suppliers, engineering constraints, reusability in other platforms, time constraints, reliability, .... I guess the list could be 17 pages long here.

Down to the bolts & nuts, eveything has to be thought of within the boundaries of the "above" list and also within the boundaries of the legal department. Then comes the "market(ing)" department who analyse what want a certain group and how much they would pay for it. With all that; I'm only scratching the surface.

I'm not defending them for doing so, but I kind of understand it a little bit.

It's like a decent meal on an airplane; I'm already paying 450$ for the ride, why don't you add 15$ to it without telling me and give me something better than peanuts instead of offering me a crappy meal that I can purchase. Just make it 465$ and serve it!

Jezz, they've been telling us for years now that they have to cut on service to make profit again and the price keeps on going up on top of it. I'll accept it, but don't cut on things that I really want. I couldn't care more about a better telephone in an airplane. Well, maybe I could use it while I'm flying to call my friends I'm going to visit and tell them how crappy the peanuts are and how hungry I am, so they better have some McD for me when I land.

Same thing for cars, I understand why they need to cut corners here and there to increase profits of a not so good industry, but don't cut on things we want! I think they are a little bit disconnected sometimes.

On the other hand, the aftermarket would be totally pissed with my point of view.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I bought my Zephyr; I compared things I needed in my car. Nice exterior that is not too old looking. Nice looking interior that feels like areal luxury car. Nice comfortable seats since I am big. Power everything b/c not everyone i know is just as big. Memory was a plus. Telescoping Stering whee with radio controlsl controls; are very important saftey issue for me. Doesn't drive like a boat, etc.

I didn't compare the stereo although I am an audiophile; why?? One the lovely car salesman will not give you enough time to enjoy the capabilities of the OEM stereo. Two, I have more serious issues (see above) that I can't fix later that more important to me. The stereo I can always fix. Although the THX II and Dyne audio in passat are among the 2 best OEM radios I heard. Both are worth $1000. But I still will never buy them. Why?
1- Once you get used to sound of a real sub you can't go back to less deep sound.
2- Most audiophiles don't like the sound of all "nice speakers". I prefer the laid back soft smooth sound; others prefer more in your face bright sound, others just want tons of bass. Not everyone likes the same burger; some like McDonalds, others Wendy's, some Burger King. I just know I will never be 100% satisfied with it. So why get something that I will want to upgrade later?
3- For $1000 I can get something that will better suite my needs and tastes audio wise. Even if price was even:
4- the real fun, is making the stereo the way you "enjoy" it. I enjoy trying, mixing, and teaking different audio componenets. Aftermarket audio can cater my tastes but OEM willnever be able to do that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=bfox57 link=topic=76729.msg1410031#msg1410031 date=1179191206]
How hard was it to install the four speakers. Did you have to buy any extra wire for connecting everything. I have never installed new speakers in my car and like you said i can get them very cheap on ebay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Blake
[/quote]

no extra connections are needed. just go to walmart and buy car audio splicing kit ($5) with extra speaker wire and you are set. If you want more help; PM me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey, PK.... (peter) I started to take a speaker out of a rear door the other day..... but had issues. Can you pm me with your playbook on how you did it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote author=newyork2050 link=topic=76729.msg1466916#msg1466916 date=1181169290]
did u use a amp and wud it be louder then stock with no amp
[/quote]

The factory head is built pretty nice, and the factory speakers accompany the head nicely. Its hard to get the factory speakers to distort with the factory head (ofcourse if you have the bass and treble settings all the way up or something crazy they will distort) in the first place. There wouldnt be much a difference in distortion running factory speakers vs aftermarket speakers with the factory head.

That being said: Since the factory head is pushing the same amounts of watts to the factory speakers as it would to aftermarket speakers, it wont be much louder, if at all. Adding an amp to aftermarket speakers can only benifit you, because you are adding more wattage to the aftermarket speakers allowing you to use them to their full potential.

Now if you ran the factory speakers with and aftermarket head... well... thats a totaly different story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sternyy how do you like the alpine comps? Do they get loud? How much power are you sending to them? Im looking into getting a set of the type R or maybe the Type Xs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
They get pretty loud with just running them from my aftermarket head... but if I ran them off an amp they would be louder and a bit more clear. I plan on getting a 4 channel amp to run my components in the front and my coaxs in the rear doors within a few months. Its almost at the point were i am comfortable and sometimes its too loud with the levels in my car without the amp, but i want to add the amp just to give the speakers a bit more power so they run a bit better.

They are definetly louder than the factory head and speakers too. When i changed my head to aftermarket, I still had the factory speakers and it sounded horrible. I bought the components first and left my rears factory. It wasnt bad but also wasnt good so I replaced my rears too.

I usually have my fader set around +3 to the front and let my rears add fill. If I set my fader evenly it sounds a bit too muffled because of the rear speakers are putting out to much sound. Also it sets my soundstage more towards the front, so the music comes from in front of me, not from behind me. Its still loud with my fader adjusted towards the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you do the comp install yourself? If so how was it. I have installed a few aftermarket speakers but they were direct fits and no amps. I want to install my comps and amp myself tho. Then upgrade my sub. Right now I have an older 12" Alpine Type R getting just about 400rms. I want more tho.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'd like to know where people are putting the crossovers for their components. I know the size will vary by brand- but where behind the door panel is a good place to locate them. I'm confortable doing the install, I'd just like to know where to put them to avoid the trial-n-error. Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had my components professionally installed for that exact reason. I didnt know here to mount the crossovers AND i didnt know how to install the tweeters. Everything else (rears, sub, amp and head) I installed myself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
in the MKZ there are plently of room to put crossovers in either the front or rear doors.

In the fusion, The tweeter can be easily placed in the same stock location; you will gave to do little modifiying/gllueing to secure the aftermarket tweeter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote author=pkoko link=topic=76729.msg1472100#msg1472100 date=1181333105]
in the MKZ there are plently of room to put crossovers in either the front or rear doors.

In the fusion, The tweeter can be easily placed in the same stock location; you will gave to do little modifiying/gllueing to secure the aftermarket tweeter.
[/quote]

In the fusion the factory crossover is actually on the speaker... it looks like a kid made it. I was watching a bit of the install for the components but didnt see where they mounted them.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Swap out your factory door speakers with good ones and get some good high quality 6x9's in the rear of the car (in the two ports where there ARE NO SPEAKERS!!). IMO, a sub and/or a head unit upgrade unless you're going with a navigation system is pretty worthless. However, that being said there are many here who have subs and boxes in their trunks, so it goes to show you that there are always different strokes.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts