FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've noticed within the last week or so that I have developed a new sound that only occurs while the AC is on. When on, I hear this sound that sounds, for lack of better description, like a woodpecker is pecking the hell out of a metal tree. It comes and goes. Disappears completely when the AC is off, which is suspicious for AC. AC works great. No issues, blows extremely cold air.

Could it be the alternator or the compressor? Could I just be down a bit of A-134 and the unit is clutching? I've never heard a compressor clutch like that though...very atypical. Wouldn't imagine that a compressor would go bad after 1.5 years of ownership, but the one thing I do know about Ford is that their ACs are nothing special.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a similar sound, maybe not that of a woodpecker, but something different sounding when the AC is on. I think its normal.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=90441.msg1748230#msg1748230 date=1191130595]
Hey all,

I've noticed within the last week or so that I have developed a new sound that only occurs while the AC is on. When on, I hear this sound that sounds, for lack of better description, like a woodpecker is pecking the hell out of a metal tree. It comes and goes. Disappears completely when the AC is off, which is suspicious for AC. AC works great. No issues, blows extremely cold air.

Could it be the alternator or the compressor? Could I just be down a bit of A-134 and the unit is clutching? I've never heard a compressor clutch like that though...very atypical. Wouldn't imagine that a compressor would go bad after 1.5 years of ownership, but the one thing I do know about Ford is that their ACs are nothing special.

Anyone have any ideas?
[/quote]

Mark,
When we install my springs, I'll let you hear the awful noise mine makes during the first start of the day when the compressor kicks on. From what I've read around here, the noise I have is "normal". I'm not sure if that translates over to the V6, but would be interested to see if the noise you're having is similar.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can't even hear it at all when I'm inside the car with the windows up. The first time I heard it I was in the drive through line with the window down and heard this "T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T" (<---FAST) sound that would last through the time when the compressor kicked on. It then went off when the compressor kicked off. Turned the AC off - no sound. Turned the AC back on.........didn't have the sound for a minute or so and then "T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T" again. I had the exact similar sound with my F150 and ended up having to have my compressor replaced because my AC system stopped working as well about two weeks after that. I don't know if that sound was my compressor or if it was just something else. Since the truck still made the sound when the compressor was replaced, I don't think it was the compressor, but who the hell knows.

If this is a normal sound then I don't care - I can live with it because it's not a horrific sound - it just sounds very........odd.......for a sound that's "normal."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts