FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a couple of hours yesterday installing a Sherwood dash kit in my Fusion. Kit#1968AS, in Charcoal Cherrywood. Interior is the Med Light Stone, thought it'd be a good match. Got it on ebay for $50 bucks 8) complete, but no instructions. Found instructions on Sherwoods website, plus a installation video to boot. Picked up some rubbing alcohol and went at it. I left off the wood vent trim pieces on the dash, thought it would be too much wood, it was either that or leave off the lower climate controls and shifter pieces. Overall, the kit fit pretty good, the only problems are the center radio surround, you can look real close (and know where to look) you can see some of the original carbon fiber piece peeking out. I think someone else here mentioned this on an install that they did previously. The other problem was the center console/cup holder piece, if you look in the last photo it just does not fit, the strip on the right of the shifter on the passenger side is just too narrow to cover what it should, after about 7 tries in different positions I left it where it is. There is a chrome surround ring for the shifter that I left off as well, since the shifter already has it, maybe the one in the kit is bigger and would fix this. I think I'll email Sherwood about it. May try to pull it off and try again with the ring from the kit.
If I'd paid full price for the kit, I wouldn't be happy about the ill-fitting piece, but with the deal I got, it doesn't bother me too much. Worst case, I'll pull it off and leave it off.

I think it's a definite improvement over the stock interior.

What do you guys think?

G

·
I kind of like it. I have the same interior colors so it gives me an idea of what my interior would look like.

But I'm just not that big a fan of wood.

Maybe if someone could order the chrome/silver color dash kit. I think that might look good in their.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks good. On the carbon fiber issue what I did to solve this was to take a black paint pen and go over the exposed carbon fiber. Darkens it up and you can barly notice it.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have the same exact kit and interior colors. You make me wish I looked on eBay first for the kit. :( I spent $240 on the entire kit.

My pieces fit pretty well, but you have to make sure it's warmed up so you can push it into place. As for contacting Sherwood about a replacement piece because of fitment, you're SOL. Once you install it, that's it. I had to buy a new center console cover a few days ago because mine developed a bubble. $50 later, it's fixed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=75415.msg1356371#msg1356371 date=1177264336]
I kind of like it. I have the same interior colors so it gives me an idea of what my interior would look like.

But I'm just not that big a fan of wood.

Maybe if someone could order the chrome/silver color dash kit. I think that might look good in their.
[/quote]

I was originally thinking of carbon fiber or silver myself, then saw the ebay auction and how nice UnderEstimated's kit install looked, (same kits), figured I couldn't go wrong.

RiverFusion, I was thinking the same thing, using a black Sharpie or paint pen and go over the exposed CF. Since yours worked, I'll give it a try.

[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=75415.msg1358630#msg1358630 date=1177354299]
I have the same exact kit and interior colors. You make me wish I looked on eBay first for the kit. :( I spent $240 on the entire kit.

My pieces fit pretty well, but you have to make sure it's warmed up so you can push it into place. As for contacting Sherwood about a replacement piece because of fitment, you're SOL. Once you install it, that's it. I had to buy a new center console cover a few days ago because mine developed a bubble. $50 later, it's fixed.
[/quote]

Yep, I quickly found out heating the pieces has everything to do with not only fit, but how well it adheres to the surface. I don't think fitment is the big issue with the center console piece, just the fact that it's made too small to cover the area between the shifter and the right edge if the console, and the opening is too large. I should have "split the difference", and have a small gap around the whole shifter than the way I have it now. How difficult was yours to get back off once it's been on awhile? I have a funny feeling it's going to be harder to get off than it was re-positioning it while it was warm. Was the bubble inside the piece or between the piece and the console?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It's a PITA to remove. When I removed the center console piece from around the radio, it pulled off the imitation CF and it looks gray. As for the bubble, it was in the piece itself and you'd just see a clear bubble under the plastic.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=75415.msg1360129#msg1360129 date=1177384989]
It's a PITA to remove. When I removed the center console piece from around the radio, it pulled off the imitation CF and it looks gray. As for the bubble, it was in the piece itself and you'd just see a clear bubble under the plastic.
[/quote]

I figured it wouldn't be easy, although the piece I need to re-position is the one around the shifter, not the one around the radio. I think I'll try heating it up pretty good before I try to move it, and have some 3M spray adhesive on hand just in case. The original area around the shifter is textured somewhat, so it may be a little easier than the smooth C/F surface around the radio that you had to deal with.

The more I look at the whole color scheme (Charcoal Cherrywood kit w/ Med light stone interior, Charcoal Beige exterior), the more I like it, being that it would not have been my first choice until I saw your install and then the ebay auction about the same time. Really lucked into one there, I was ready to go in a totally different direction, (carbon fiber or silver kit, and much more $$) untill I saw how good yours looked. Even had I paid full, I think this looks best.
Glad you did yours first, much appreciated.

.....expecting a kickback or something now, aren't ya.....

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=Barchetta link=topic=75415.msg1362644#msg1362644 date=1177466305]
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=75415.msg1360129#msg1360129 date=1177384989]
[/quote]

I figured it wouldn't be easy, although the piece I need to re-position is the one around the shifter, not the one around the radio. I think I'll try heating it up pretty good before I try to move it, and have some 3M spray adhesive on hand just in case. The original area around the shifter is textured somewhat, so it may be a little easier than the smooth C/F surface around the radio that you had to deal with.

The more I look at the whole color scheme (Charcoal Cherrywood kit w/ Med light stone interior, Charcoal Beige exterior), the more I like it, being that it would not have been my first choice until I saw your install and then the ebay auction about the same time. Really lucked into one there, I was ready to go in a totally different direction, (carbon fiber or silver kit, and much more $$) untill I saw how good yours looked. Even had I paid full, I think this looks best.
Glad you did yours first, much appreciated.

.....expecting a kickback or something now, aren't ya.....

[/quote]

Haha, kick back would be nice... ;) Honestly, glad that the install made you want to give it a try yourself. I really loved the interior when I bought the car, but I quickly found out I wanted a little more contrast. The charcoal cherry really hits the right spot. Also, 3M Adhesive Spray works pretty well. I removed my passenger dash trim and reapplied it with 3M spray it worked just fine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
They all just stick on. But it's not a vinyl sticker. They are either flat or molded plastic, wood, etc. with 3m sticky tape on the back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just purchased an 08 SE AWD and looking to upgrade the interior a bit. I like the looks of the Sherwood product and definetly glad I referenced it here for the ebay idea (thank you!). I have the same interior featured by the OP with carbon fiber around the stereo and want to match that if I can. Sherwood has two different variations of carbon fiber kits (Classic or Graphics Series). Curious to see if anyone has installed either of these and if so what pattern matches the stock piece best. If I don't have to change the piece around the stereo that would be best but if so no biggie. As well, if anyone has installed this a pic would be great.

diminish
2008 SE AWD

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=diminish link=topic=75415.msg2219917#msg2219917 date=1207799599]
Just purchased an 08 SE AWD and looking to upgrade the interior a bit. I like the looks of the Sherwood product and definetly glad I referenced it here for the ebay idea (thank you!). I have the same interior featured by the OP with carbon fiber around the stereo and want to match that if I can. Sherwood has two different variations of carbon fiber kits (Classic or Graphics Series). Curious to see if anyone has installed either of these and if so what pattern matches the stock piece best. If I don't have to change the piece around the stereo that would be best but if so no biggie. As well, if anyone has installed this a pic would be great.

diminish
2008 SE AWD
[/quote]

I believe the Graphics Series gives you colored CF options. Regardless of the kit, you'll never get a 100% match to the stock CF piece, so you're better off using the center bezel piece that comes in the kit.

I like the idea of CF, but with that interior color, I didn't think it'd match too well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I'm unsure about the CF matching as well so was hoping somone had gone down that road already. Yours looks great so I might go with something similar. I did notice you had the Pioneer Nav installed which is exactly the unit I was looking at. I know its off topic but how do you like that head unit (pros & cons)?

On a side note. Denver just got pounded with a snow storm overnight so I got to try out the new AWD. Wow is all I can say. I went from a 4WD truck to the sedan and I gotta say AWD out performs 4WD in my opinion. I couldn't get that car to spin its tires today. Very nice job Ford.

diminish

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I like the unit and all of its features. The navi is much better than any I've seen. I've even had a Benz owner wish there's looked "this good". I don't really have any cons... It's a great unit all around.

OK, if I have to name a con, it'd be the loadup time. It takes a little bit, maybe 15-20 seconds, but it's not a huge deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts