FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be mad at the fact that I have a black car or should I be mad because I made the mistake of going to one of those BP car wash.

Rite after the wash, I get out of the car and look around for any scarthes. And just my lucky day, I found one on my bumper, pass rear door, drivers side mirror and one on my rear bumper. They are not that visible. But when you are a foot away bam, there is it. It didnt go past my primer but damn they are ugly.

Specially by the pass rear door, It looks like someone tried to wash it with a bristol sponge.

Now my question is this, for any one who works for a body shop or some one who is an auto insurance agent. How much might I have to spend to buff up the scratches or should I go through insurance on this one?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it did, well it wasnt a brush material, it was those weird wet suits looking like material.

G

·
OH MAN....never go thru those things. NEVER.

Take it to your ford dealer, and maybe they can touch it up for you, for a nominal fee. I always either wash my car by hand, or go thru a Laser Touch Free Car Wash.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yea, I regret big time. I just called my local Ford dealer, and they said it could go for $45 to $50 for the scratch. But he has to see it to be more sure of it.

I just hope it doesnt go past $500. Because that will throw me off on my Cobra down payment.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You should never run your can through a wash where anything touches your vehicle, especially if it's black. I hope the dealer can fix it for you, but chances are it's gonna be a little more than $50.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I say around $300. Thank GOD I am getting my income tax check next month.

After she gets fixed, I am gonna treat her for a all day Sunday wash and wax.

We will see on Monday how far it throws me off my Cobra money.

The only reason I ran her to the car wash, was because I was going to the track to check out the Ford event. So I had no time to wash her and she was pretty dirty.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Bummer man-those things are a definite nightmare and should never be used.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Never ever use a drive thru car wash. They cause scratches and swirl marks everytime. The brushes hold all the dirt from previous cars that went through and then scrub that dirt onto your car and cause marks. Touchless car washes are better but the chemicals used in those are harsh and usually strip off any wax you have. The only safe bet is hand washing. I detail cars on my spare time and all of my customers cars that have lots of scratches or swirls are the ones who drive them through car washes. I always cringe at that thought. You can pay a detailer to buff them out. This may cost anywhere from $100-300, depending on what they charge and what products they use. Your dealer will tell you that they can do it with their car detailing guys at their shop. Do not use them! These guys are about the quantity of cars they do, not quality. They might spend an hour on your car as to where a professional will spend all day and do it right. Most body shop guys at dealers are inexperienced with detailing and will cause buffer burns on your paint from improper use of a rotary buffer. That would require a repaint to fix. Your best bet is to call a local professional car detailer and have them take a look and see what they charge. Hopefully you scratches aren't too deep. Run you finger nail across them, if your nail catches that means it is pretty deep. If it doesn't catch, then your fine and the scratch can be very easily buffed out. But, if the sratch is deeper, then a rotary buffer will be required to buff it out. Or it may need to be filled in with touch up paint and then wetsanded to level it out. I hope I'm not confusing you with all of this, the main point I'm getting at, is that there are cheaper and better ways than a repaint to fix this. And most importantly, stay away from the dealer unless they can refer you to an outside business.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
OK, I have something to say here.

I have taken my car to a place that uses shammies to wash my car. In about 9 months of ownership, not one swirl mark has shown up.

"Touchless" car washes are DEATH to your paint job. Have YOU ever been subjected to the RECEIVING end of a pressure washer? Didn't feel that good, did it? The force coming out of those "touchless" washing machines could almost break skin. Now just imagine your car's paint job having to take that over and over again.

Handwashing is the best, but shammy car washes that use water at REGULAR pressures to rinse off soap are THE best OPTION to handwashing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
during summer i only handwash, at winter since im in chicago i cant handwash and i use a manual touchless (i.e. i have the power washer in my hand) and thats to remove the salt buildup, so eh ive been tempted to use something else but i can always cringe at the thought and id rather a dirty car than a damaged one

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Trust me, the touchless washes that are supposedly "safe" for your vehicle are nothing of the sort.

That stream of water is leaving tiny cuts, scrapes, and separations in your paint job that will manifest themselves in about 5 years.

Whenever you don't have time to handwash, shammy washes cannot be beat.

Just don't go somewhere with bristle brushes because you'll pay for that rather immediately.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Want a clean car and nice swirl free paint?

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-MCC0AA-Starter-Kit/dp/B0001YLJBO

This thing freakin' rocks. Even on my black motorcycle - no spots on the paint or chrome. My Mustang just turned three, the clearcoat looks brand new. No fine scratches, etc.
Got one for my dad, its all he uses now too.

Rinse the loose dirt, spray on the soap, use a soft wool mitt to scrub, rinse, and spray the filtered water to push the regular rinse water off. Done. Just let it sit and dry.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Do NOT let a dealer touch it! 9/10 times it's some 16 yr old kid making $6/hr armed with 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound and a wool pad. In fact, most "detail" shops are also like that. I'd make the car wash pay for all work done due to their damage.

It sounds like you need some spot wet sanding and a heavy polish. I own a detailing business and if someone came to me with that I'd charge somewhere in the $300 range.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got good news and bad news. Good news is that the dealer said I could buff out most of the scratches. But the bad news is that some how, that car wash gave me a nice little dent on the pass rear door to the rear fender. You cant really notice it, unless you look real good and to the side then you see it.

He said to repair that it will go from $450 to $500. So this Sunday I am going to my near liquor store and buy me a 12 pk of Strongbow or Stella and then head to discount auto and get that little buffer kit and spend a whole day on the car. :klavergreg:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Go to one of those 3rd party ding guys (there's one place called "Dent Biz" that's around the corner from me).

My wife drives an Explorer and works in the pharmacy at a grocery store, so she gets some pretty nasty dents from time to time (from all these stressed out Mommies driving those cheap Tahoes). We had 6 pretty nasty dents in her explorer after 2 years of taking 'em for the team in the parking lot. The dealership wanted $600 to take them all out - this guy did them all for $150.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't bother with over the counter polishers, you have DEEP scratches. Those are nothing but glorified wax applicators. You might put a little shine back into it but it will still have the scratches. You'll need ~$500+ in machines + polishes to do the job right. Find a reputable detailer, spend the money, cry once.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just drive it!.....................Now the car has character. I've got 3 dings in the side of my car where I fell on it off the roof of my house....now THAT'S character.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts