FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if any one ever drove the new Taurus? Any driving impresions? I am thinking of trading our Milan on one and would like some opinions.

·
Super Moderator
6,017 Posts
[quote author=pkoko link=topic=83518.msg1565284#msg1565284 date=1184719920]
I am wondering if any one ever drove the new Taurus? Any driving impresions? I am thinking of trading our Milan on one and would like some opinions.
[/quote]

Hi pkoko. :wavey: Well, opinions are like...well, you know.

Having said that, the new Taurus is a very nice car (yes, I have driven it).

The new 3.5 liter engine is a vast improvement in power and refinement over the 3.0 liter engine that was in the 500. I have the 3.5 liter engine in my MKZ. The engine is great. Automotive experts are praising the introduction of the 3.5 liter Duratec to replace the 3.0.

The Taurus is a bigger, heavier car, so even with the 3.5, will "probably" not handle in as "sporty" a manner as the Milan V-6, but it will be quieter and smoother.

The two main reasons I can see for switching would be the more powerful engine and the need for a larger car. Do you really need either? Do you need a larger car?

What are the reasons you are thinking of trading up in size and price? Is the larger engine and bigger car worth the financial loss you will most likely take if you trade in your Milan (or even the slightly smaller loss if you sell your Milan privately)?

I have my opinion, the next person who posts will have his opinion, and so on and so on. When push comes to shove, only your opinion will matter. Your best bet would be to go and test drive the Taurus yourself and see what you think.

Let us know what you decide to do, and good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Taurus/500 is a very good/reliable/safe and well built car by Ford. It has been overlooked by the auto industry. Anyone who does thier homework will see the Taurus/Montego are great vehicles. With AWD and the new 3.5 it is a winner for a family. If you need the extra room.. Go for it! Let us know what you do..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really need the extra room but it is definatley nice. We just drove the Milan a little too much. We are thinking of an upgrade. We difenatley can't get a smaller car the milan. We currently considered the FWD escape/mariner with I4 or the new taurus. I felt the escape is too small for a family hauling SUV. It is good for a teenager or a secondary car family car. I also felt the Edge is too fuel thirsty. I wanted to make sure that the Taurus is not just a big boring people mover. So it seems it is worth the test drive. Anyway thanks for all the info. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
They had one on the rental lot, so I took it. Put almost 1,500 miles on it, mostly through the mountains of KY and TN. Four passengers, fully loaded trunk and full thank of gas - it passed everything on the road, up and down the mountains with plenty of power in reserve. With all of that, I still averaged 25mpg using the fill-up method to calculate.

The car is quite, powerful and roomy. Rides nice between 80-85, once you get above that speed it gets a little bit loose. It's definitely the five-hundred they should have built in the first place. I didn't really like all of the chrome on the grill, since it's so large, too much bling for my taste. The seats where some of the most comfortable I have ever sat in - perforated leather. Unfortunately, the one I rented probably retails for above 30K and that's just too much money for a 'family' car. Although, if I had the money I would buy one over almost any other car in it’s price range, it’s that good. They should make a Lincoln model, the town car is crap compared to it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I test drove the thing wanting to trade my fusion in for it...

It was very roomy and comfortable in it, but when I really rhomped on it, it was no where near as responsive as my fusion, nor did it sound as nice.. Also, it didnt feel as tight in the cornering as my fusion does. For me I like a nice quick, quiet ride, and the fusion was a perfect match.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, the ONLY thing that made me buy the Fusion over the Five Hundred (2006) was that the Five Hundred had NOTHING in acceleration compared to the 3.0V6 of the Fusion (duh---- Fusion was same engine, lighter car).

Drove a Taurus about a month ago when I finally was able to drive an Edge, and I will say that the 3.5V6 is a major improvement.

In about 5 years, I can definitely see buying one. Now? Naa...my Fusion is plenty big enough. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Recently I have been considering the Sable as a replacement for my Fusion SEL V6 (approx. 12K mi.) which in its present modified form (tune by Bamachips, Steeda CAI, Magnaflow exhaust) provides satisfying performance (although it is a bit thirsty). The Sable promises similar performance and perhaps improved fuel efficiency in a larger more comfortable package with a quieter cabin. I haven't driven the new Sable but they appear handsome and substantive. I like the interior furnishings although the lower console could be more rigid. I don't need a new car- the Fusion has been reliable, is running well, is generously supported by the aftermarket and to trade now would certainly be financially regressive-but the idea of owning such a car is alluring. It contains a modern engine and a transmission partially designed by GM, a company renowned for their excellence in this field. Besides, Ford is on the ropes, I like their products and I would be doing my part, etc..... Sound familiar? When I desire something justification for its purchase comes easily. I will rent a Sable in the coming days and post my impressions.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=83518.msg1761254#msg1761254 date=1191606859]
Recently I have been considering the Sable as a replacement for my Fusion SEL V6 (approx. 12K mi.) which in its present modified form (tune by Bamachips, Steeda CAI, Magnaflow exhaust) provides satisfying performance (although it is a bit thirsty). The Sable promises similar performance and perhaps improved fuel efficiency in a larger more comfortable package with a quieter cabin. I haven't driven the new Sable but they appear handsome and substantive. I like the interior furnishings although the lower console could be more rigid. I don't need a new car- the Fusion has been reliable, is running well, is generously supported by the aftermarket and to trade now would certainly be financially regressive-but the idea of owning such a car is alluring. It contains a modern engine and a transmission partially designed by GM, a company renowned for their excellence in this field. Besides, Ford is on the ropes, I like their products and I would be doing my part, etc..... Sound familiar? When I desire something justification for the its purchase comes easily. I will rent a Sable in the coming days and post my impressions.
[/quote]

Good post. I've seriously been thinking about trying to talk my wife into a new Taurus. While I don't like that they brought the name back (since it's a more expensive, upscale car than the Taurus ever was....), I do love the new front end. When I bought my Milan, the dealership also had a used Montego Luxury for the same price. To me, the Montego just looked too much like an old person's car. The new front ends have removed that stigma, IMO.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, if the 2006 Five Hundred had the 3.5L V6 like the 08 Taurus then I probably would have bought the 08 Taurus and left the Fusion on the lot. Both cars handled wonderfully. The Taurus/500 with the extra weight seemed to be a little strained with the 3.0V6 engine. The 3.5? Not so much. That car handled beautifully. I can definitely see owning one when the kids that we don't have right now start to grow up and we need the extra leg room :)

I took the new Taurus down the road to an abandoned Wal-Mart or whatever it was and just raped it in figure 8's with the salesman all the time looking at me like he had just made the worst decision in the world letting me drive it. The thing was solid. I would have nothing against owning this car. If I had all the money in the world I'd bench the Fusion until the Supercharger comes out, buy a Taurus and drive it, still keep the Explorer because the wife loves it, and buy an F150 because I just love those damn trucks for some reason. Drove my father-in-law's 06 Silverado several times this weekend and the thing drives like SH** in comparison to the F150.

·
Registered
933 Posts
C&D tested a new FWD 3.5 Taurus 0-60 in 6.8 secs. That's pretty good.

My parents just bought a new 07 Montego AWD Premier. I have not seen it yet though. It's great transportation for them (retired -- in their 70s).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I recently took a 2008 Taurus Limited w/AWD for a short test drive for the purpose of determining whether to trade my modified Fusion V6 (tune, intake,exhaust) for another Ford product that promises similar performance with greater comfort and improved fuel economy. My impressions:

-The fit and finish of the materials was very good as was the quality of the materials used. The top of the instument panel did not emit a hollow resonance that I have found so unappealing in some GM products. The console was fairly substantial and appeared firmly anchored to the floor. Most surfaces were covered with a pebble-grained leather that was soft to the touch and appeared durable. All gaps that I noticed were even. However, I must cite the gear selector as the sole component that struck a discordant note. There appeared to be approximately .25'' of forward play between each detent. Ford
MUST correct this. To have such shoddy assembly on display on such a common user interface will repel alot of potential buyers and belies Ford's much touted gains in quality control and reliability.
-The Taurus advances the state of affordable family transportation but it is not quite a performance sedan. The ride is composed, serene and comfortable. It filters many road irregularities very effectively but the steering is not very progressive and is not as communicative as even that of the Fusion. The engine emits a muted growl when accelerating that I found very pleasant but I was less
enamored of the reluctance of the transmission to downshift when I prodded the gas. My Fusion does this readily. On the other hand this was my very first experience with AWD and my expectations were
probably unreasonable. Or it may simply be a matter for recalibration. However those vaunted 265 horses felt somewhat emasculated.
-The cabin did not emit any extraneous noises. No squeaks or rattles were heard. The structure appears very robust.
-The seats were very comfortable and afforded a commanding view of the road. The amount of front leg room was surprising. The Taurus would be heavenly to travel across country in.

The Taurus is an impressive machine but the performance of the powertrain left me unsatisfied. With AWD the car simply felt lethargic off the line and somewhat sluggish when accelerating. However I may need to temper my expectations with the compromises inherent with that configuration. I am sure that the Haldex system is one of the best at this price point. As of this writing I can't think of a compelling reason to trade my Fusion for the Taurus. The Fusion is faster and more nimble but the Taurus is impressively stout and more comfortable. I have scheduled another test with an SEL w/FWD.
I will post my impressions and whether I will make the plunge.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Fusion66, this is MrSparkle from the Taurus car club forums!

Did you get a chance to test out the FWD Taurus, and if so, what did you think?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes i drove a FWD Taurus approximately 1.5 weeks ago and I found the car very impressive. It was very quiet and accelerated as well as my modified Fusion. It is a very stately automobile that appealed to my enthusiast inclinations. Soooooo.... against my better judgement I entered into negotiations for the
purchase of one from the same dealer that sold me my Fusion. I thought it was a done deal until the salesman informed me that 13.5K was the maximum amount they would give me for my Fusion as a trade.
I needed 15K for it to consumate the transaction. Disappointed yet relieved I politely informend him that
I would need to reconsider the purchase given his offer. He said ''certainly'' we shook hands and then I
left. I haven't returned.
Frankly I'm happy I didn't go through with it. The 2008 Taurus is a fine car and very competitive with Toyota and Hyundai. It would be my first choice if I had cause to purchase a car at present. But i don't. My Fusion runs fine and i know I would undoubtedly regret shelling out $10K for a car that I don't need. It would be a passing fancy. Maybe in another two years!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts