FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2008 Mercury Milan Premier, with the 5 speed manual and drove it home from Virginia (about 500 miles). It's got 156,000 miles, but it ran well, and seemed to get decent mileage.
Just taking a look under the hood, and discovered the oil was down to the bottom of the dipstick. Also noticed a lot of black soot on the back of the car.

Then discovered oil around the spark plugs when I remove the coilover boots.
Hmmm. Not good.

It's a beautiful car, in great shape, and I got a good deal on it.
But need to figure out what's going on with the engine.

Any ideas on what I am facing here.
-Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oil in the spark plug well could be caused by the valve cover gasket getting hard and brittle, thus leaking oil from from the valve compartment. It is a inexpensive part, and easy to replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil in the spark plug well could be caused by the valve cover gasket getting hard and brittle, thus leaking oil from from the valve compartment. It is a inexpensive part, and easy to replace.
Thanks, Twiggy! After posting my intro, I found a great YouTube video on the problem and how to replace the valve cover gasket, and have ordered the parts! Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2012 SEL 2.5
260 Posts
Dkarmol
If he neglected the oil you should change the trans fluid and coolant. Everyone says to use ford products for longer life. You might get a better price from amazon than a dealer. Every 30 thousand miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dkarmol
If he neglected the oil you should change the trans fluid and coolant. Everyone says to use ford products for longer life. You might get a better price from amazon than a dealer. Every 30 thousand miles
Thanks, FFJohn!
I have already bought three quarts of Royal Purple Manual trans fluid, that I have used in my other manuals (Porsche and a BMW) and it's great stuff.
Will take a look at coolant as well!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple of pics of my Milan after I got it home. Loving the 5speed manual, but it needs a new shift knob. Anyone know what type/size will fit? (needs a new knob because the shift pattern is worn off, and frankly I need a reminder because it is the OPPOSITE of my Porsche Cayenne Manual, which has 6th gear where the reverse is on the Milan. I've already tried to shift into 6th.. ouch... a couple of times.)

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, John. After I posted my pics, I found a thread on this site that said the shift knob has a 10m x 1.25 thread, so I found one on eBay and ordered, with a leather boot. Here's link:
Mazda knob and leather boot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just took my new Milan in for an oil change and inspection. The tech said he had never seen one so clean- "not even any rust on the pinch welds"- and it passed all the 52 point inspection items. Just a little wear on the front left tire, which he said was typical for the drive wheels.
Really pleased to have gotten what appears to be a good deal on this car. I look forward to years of pleasant driving before I pass it along. Thanks for the help from forum participants and YouTube so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts