FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just now taking time to say hello to all. Picked up my 2007 Milan 2 weeks ago. Traded my 2005 Ford 500 hence my screen name. So far so good. The 500 was a roomy car but the uneven floor (with the drivers seat back all the way) and the too numerous issues for a car just out of warranty, I thought it was time to trade. I guess I may have traded down with the standard Milan I4 without all the bells and whistles. I use the car entirely for commuting so I will test driving habits to get the max mpg. The 500 was averaging around 29.5 with the 3.0 V6. The first trip to work with the Milan (66 miles one-way) was 36.2. My 2 tank average so far is 33.2. It handles a lot like my 96 T-Bird. The 4 cylinder makes a little more noise when cold but driving down the freeway its hard to tell that it is a 4. I have been reading a lot of the previous post and I have a bunch of questions since I do all my own service work. I will be happy to share my experience with the 500 and the things I learn about the Milan. Brian

·
Registered
933 Posts
Congrats. You must drive very conservatively -- in order to get that mileage on a new car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congratulations Brian! Hope this one works out better for you than the last ride. Maybe you could post some pics for us.

Happy driving

·
Registered
817 Posts
Congratulations on the new Milan, Brian, and welcome to the forum. What kind of problems did you have with the Five Hundred? Just curious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as my driving habits, yes I drive conservatively. I'm the one that drives the speed limit and that pisses off a lot of California drivers. I will share the list of the problems I had with the 500. In all fairness to Ford they repaired most under warranty. I took care of a couple. The thing that made me most concerned was the number of times that it was in the shop. I like to put miles on my car and this one was not giving me a vibe that made me feel comfortable that it would last. My first Ford was a 91 Tempo that I gave away with 348,000 miles. I married into a 96 T-Bird that was totaled with 250,000 miles that the 500 replaced. Neither car needed much more than the usual oil, filters, belts, hoses, and tires.
The 500 list
1. Skipping CD's - Replaced the head unit
2. Harsh downshifts - Reprogrammed computer
3. Trunk lid would not pop up enough to open - Replaced latch. It was still a problem. I think the trunk struts were not strong enough.
4. Growling rear brakes - I fixed this issue by sanding heavy rust build up on the rotors. This was a problem all through ownership. When I would wash the car I had to make sure to drive it around the block before parking it. Rust would build up enough overnight to cause problems.
5. Dash bubble - It has the same center dash compartment as the Fusion/Milan but covered with a rubberized vinyl. In the hot sun, gases would form and cause a bubble. The fix was to replace with the hard plastic that they now use but the color match was poor. I just drilled a 1/8" hole under the bubble and the problem never returned.
6. Instrument malfunction - During their investigation they found 1 odd size tire on the car 3 60 series tires and 1 65 series tire. It came this way from the factory because I never replaced a tire. They were certain that because the tires were turning at different rates that it was causing the problem. This after 20,000 miles LOL.
7. Returned for harsh down shifts - Replaced valve body with an upgraded version. Cured the problem
8. Returned for Instrument malfunction - Replaced instrument cluster. Cured problem
9. Water leak - Replaced water pump
10. Leaking rear strut - Replaced strut

Out of warranty and not feeling very comfortable that this was a keeper, I traded it for the Milan.
Sorry for the long post. Just sharing....

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have over 30k miles on my Milan now and the only issue has been the hard shifting, which the reprogram took care of - not an issue on the 2007 models.

The dashboard noise by the firewall mysteriously went away when I got a new windshield (due to a rock).

It just now feels like the wheels need a rebalance. Not bad for all this time. I think it needs a new air filter about now too (first one), but that's about it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=500_2_Milan link=topic=81521.msg1519608#msg1519608 date=1182903194]

Out of warranty and not feeling very comfortable that this was a keeper, I traded it for the Milan.
Sorry for the long post. Just sharing....
[/quote]

That was a very interesting post, Brian. Thanks for sharing. That was very interesting about the different size tires, weird. That's quite a list of glitches but nothing truly major. How many miles did you have one the '05 Five Hundred?

You were probably wise to trade. Hopefully, the Milan will be trouble free. Boy, you sure are getting great mileage out of the gate. Poor mileage (14.8 city) is our only complaint we have about our V6 2007 SEL AWD after 3,500 miles and six months (knock on wood).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts