FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my cat-back installed yesterday, Magnaflow. It sounds amazing highly recommended to all.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Brede,

Do you have the 2.3 or 3.0 engine?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the cat back on my V6 and the sound is incredible. I have to say one thing though that I was disappointed in and that was in the quality of the clamps. When torquing them to the specification I could tell the nuts were about to strip. I ended up replace all the clamps with better ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 2.3 manual. It is awesome, i also have a K&N filter in my car so together I hope it added a little power and performance. I definitely get the looks now becuase of the sound.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got mine installed last Friday....
Huge improvement!

I'm also running a K&N filter
Not sure if there is any improvement in power, but it does sound 100 times better...
I can hear as I'm letting out the clutch now... (way too quiet - stock)

Driving to Nashville over Thanksgiving.... (7 hours one way.... the true test)
I'm curious as if the tone inside will be too much or won't be a big deal.
none of my family is complaining so far...

·
Registered
382 Posts
I imagine that'll make it sound close to the G35/350Z. The 3.0L V6, straight outta the factory, already has a nice tone...don't know much about the 4 cyl.

My bf is gonna custom build my exhaust outta Magnaflow parts. It will be a SS cat-back, single 3" into dual 2.5" with carbon fiber mufflers and stainless slant-cut exits. :D

Steph

·
Registered
799 Posts
CF mufflers? Why?

3" cat-back piping into dual 2.5"? Say good bye to your low end torque.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well, when you really get on these cars, they tend to have wheelspin, especially from a dead stop. Even with traction control... thanks to the 6-speed's low first gear.

Exhaust system design is always "give and take"... In this particular case, the larger exhaust will help more than it will hurt. I'll sacrifice a few ft-lbs in low rpm for a few more horsepower higher in the power band.

To answer your question...The carbon fiber mufflers are primarily a sound choice. You really can't see them under the stock bumper anyway, and once the Street Scene skirt goes on the back, you won't see them at all. They tend to sound somewhat like a G35 under wide open throttle, yet have a very tame sound at low rpm. I've seen them used on other V6 cars... 2005 Altima's, etc., and they perform very well.

Future plans are for possibly supercharging as well, which will move the torque back down in the power band, but I cant do anything that extreme until the warranty is up. And, ultimately you don't lose torque (unless it's a horrendous design). You just move it higher in the power band. It will likely move the torque band about 500-750 rpm higher, and add 10-12 peak ft-lbs. Since horsepower is a function of torque and rpm, you gain more horsepower by moving the torque higher in the rpm range.

Being as the exhaust from the cat forward isn't being modified, the low end torque won't really be that effected and should only move a few hundred rpm.

If you put that big of an exhaust in a 4 cyl, you'll be sacrificing drivability. The 6 cyl is a totally different story, especially when paired with the 6-speed auto.

·
Registered
356 Posts
[quote author=vstarbob link=topic=93232.msg1853420#msg1853420 date=1195047547]

Driving to Nashville over Thanksgiving.... (7 hours one way.... the true test)
I'm curious as if the tone inside will be too much or won't be a big deal.
none of my family is complaining so far...

well what's the update on the turkey day 7hour drive? to much sound inside or what.. thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts