FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, I just bought a 2015 Fusion Hybrid and when I take off, the RPM’s rev so high and the car barely accelerates. Dealership says it’s normal due to switching from electric to gas. But it doesn’t do it all the time. About 98% of the time it does, but I heard what he was talking about. Anybody have any ideas? Help is super appreciated. TIA

·
Administrator
6,087 Posts
Hey y’all, I just bought a 2015 Fusion Hybrid and when I take off, the RPM’s rev so high and the car barely accelerates. Dealership says it’s normal due to switching from electric to gas. But it doesn’t do it all the time. About 98% of the time it does, but I heard what he was talking about. Anybody have any ideas? Help is super appreciated. TIA
Hi Newhybfusgrl and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. No, it is not "normal". You need to have the Dealer properly diagnose and repair this problem.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Newhybfusgrl and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. No, it is not "normal". You need to have the Dealer properly diagnose and repair this problem.

Keep us updated and good luck.
So, dealership had car today and they said they took it to Aamco and all that was found was a broken motor mount. Yesterday the car would Rev up and down even while in cruise control. I keep being told that it’s normal. Yesterday was a very hot day; 118 I believe, so I figured it was due to heat. It didn’t do it today. I don’t know enough about hybrids to really say anything but if this truly is how it’s supposed to be, I don’t know that I want this car. I filled up my tank Tuesday afternoon and today is Friday, I’m 52 mi to empty. I drive maybe 50-60 mi / day max. I can’t afford $130wk in gas on top of everything else. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
158 Posts
Engine speed is not directly related to vehicle speed with a hybrid. There are times that the gas engine will be at very high rpms for the speed of the vehicle, and sometimes the engine will sound like it is at a high rpm when it actually not using fuel. But it does sound like all is not right with your vehicle. I have limited time driving a Gen 2 hybrid (more time with the gen 1.5).

A hybrid is not a quick vehicle. If you can start from a stop and accelerate up to 60 mph, it should take around 10 seconds (3 seconds longer than a 2.0 turbo powered vehicle).

If you are not getting 40+ mpg then something isn't right (I am not sure about what your math is getting at for fuel usage and cost).

There is a section in your owners manual that explains some of the unique driving characteristics for a hybrid, including:
The engine speed in your hybrid is not directly tied to your vehicle speed. Your vehicle's engine and transmission are designed to deliver the power you need at the most efficient engine speed. During heavy accelerations, your hybrid may reach high engine speeds (up to 6000 RPM).

In prolonged mountainous driving, you may see the engine tachometer changing without your input. This is intentional and maintains the battery charge level. You may also notice during extended downhill driving that your engine continues to run instead of shutting off.

During this engine braking, the engine stays on, but it is not using any fuel. You may also hear a slight whine or whistle when operating your vehicle. This is the normal operation of the electric generator in the hybrid system.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
158 Posts
Your dash should show you average fuel mileage and instantaneous fuel mileage, state of charge of the high voltage battery, a lot of feedback to know what is happening. You can reset it when you fuel up the car and get your normal driving average over a tank over your normal drive.

Guessing (4 days 60 miles per day, 240 miles, 12.5 gallons would be around 19. mpg, which is what I average in my 2012 Sport which isn't great).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts