FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so in my last car, it was a 93 and it definately needed a new head unit.

Well, in my Fusion, I love the sound already. However I was looking at the Kenwood DPX302.
It's a nice headunit, double dinned to fit both slots, and it comes with a remote.

So why I want to upgrade:

Remote
Better looking then stock
Equalizer

However, the only thing is, how good is the stock (non audiophile) headunit I have in their now.
This new one puts out 22W RMS and 50W x 4 max. So is that better then our stock headunits?

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=75326.msg1354302#msg1354302 date=1177126180]
Ok, so in my last car, it was a 93 and it definately needed a new head unit.

Well, in my Fusion, I love the sound already. However I was looking at the Kenwood DPX302.
It's a nice headunit, double dinned to fit both slots, and it comes with a remote.

So why I want to upgrade:

Remote
Better looking then stock
Equalizer

However, the only thing is, how good is the stock (non audiophile) headunit I have in their now.
This new one puts out 22W RMS and 50W x 4 max. So is that better then our stock headunits?

[/quote]

Hi Ryman. :wavey: Please believe me, I am not trying to be a wiseguy with my reply here. These are just my thoughts, on your thoughts. :dhl:

You say you are happy with the sound of the stock unit, and that there are several reasons you are thinking of getting the aftermarket unit:

1. "Remote?" - Why in the world would a remote be a plus worth the money you would have to spend? The radio is two feet from the steering wheel, tops. How would having to pick up and look at a remote be easier than hitting buttons on the stock radio? How often would you really have the need for a remote for your car radio? In my opinion, it's a just a toy. If it's worth it for you, go for it. Otherwise, save your money for more important things.

2. "Better looking than stock?" - Is it that much better looking than stock that it is worth "X" amount of dollars? It's a car radio, not a work of art. In a few years, you will sell the car, and it will be gone (you won't keep the Kenwood, it will be out of date in a few years). Again, if the "better looks" are worth it, buy it. Otherwise, save your money.

3. "Equalizer?" - Again, you say you are happy with the sound of the Audiophile system. Cars are not concert halls. Why spend a bundle of money to try and make it sound like one? It never will. An equalizer in a car is basically a toy that you will soon tire of, set and forget. Same thoughts: spend it, or save it? I think save it.

4. "This new one puts out 22W RMS and 50W x 4 max. So is that better then our stock headunits?" - Those are only numbers. If you are happy with the sound now, what is the difference if it is "better" or not? When it is all said and done, it is all just marketing B.S. that is meant to separate you and your hard earned money. Like the old saying goes. "Don't believe the hype!".

Now, let me qualify my advice by saying that I am quite a bit older than you, and have given up my major car modification days some years ago (not bragging about it, actually, I wish I was young again!). :dur:

I have replaced audio systems in the past (always doing my own work), but only when the OEM system has stopped working and I couldn't repair it. (couldn't justify spending the money otherwise).

I have had systems with remote controls (because it happened to come with the head unit I wanted), and they are basically worthless toys, never used unless you will using it from the back seat of a limo.

Ryman, if you should decide to spend the money, let me be the first to wish you much luck, and hope you get the results you want. Hell, we are all MKZ/Fusion/Milan enthusiasts, so I wish you the best on your mods. But since you are happy with your Audiophile system, why not keep your hard earned money, instead of giving it to Kenwood or anyone else?

I just figured I would throw in my $.02, so I hope no one feels the need to attack me personally for expressing my opinion. :surrender: I will be the first to defend anyone who modifies their car however they see fit to spend their money. What is good for me may not be good for you, and vice a versa. I understand that.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :cheers:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, ok. lol

Can I copy and paste that Essay and use it in my english class haha.

Well for the remote, usually in the summer I go out to a "car" meet that is usually where illegal street racing begins.
But I don't do street racing anymore, I just go out for the people and plus, I'm the only Ford Fusion out their.

Like I was saying, for the remote. It would be nice to open all my doors and trunk and just turn it up and down and hit next or whatever with tthe remote. Plus it does look way better then stock.

And when I go to sell the car I can always take it out and just sell it on ebay. Maybe not for the full amount, but still for a reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=75326.msg1354572#msg1354572 date=1177157488]
Hmm, ok. lol

Can I copy and paste that Essay and use it in my english class haha.

[/quote]

:lmao: Hi RymanH24 :lmao:! As you could tell by my essay, I got home late last night, and wasn't sleepy! Of course you can use it! It's been spell checked :popcorn:, and I promise I will not sue for copyright infringement.

Good luck with the new Kenwood.:bowdown:

·
Registered
221 Posts
No don't upgrade your HU.

I wrote this in http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=69730.0

the 6 disc changer is made by pioneer (made in china; but what isn't??) and is very high quality unit. When doing my stereo I taken it out. I asked the dealer how much was is. He told me dealer cost $350 ($500 MKZ/Zephyr ( more $$ for bigger screen)); retail $499 ($700+ for Zephyr). That is not the nav version. the nav was like $2500-3000 for Zephyr. I measured the power output with voltimeter; it was 10-20W rms; pretty much the same as any aftermarket Headunit I measured including aftermarket pioneer around $200-300.

How I know this?? My firend owns a stereo shop and he decided that the stock is good unit and of way better quality than Delco units. He told me, I wont get better sound quality without spending $400-500 of a high voltage preout/ digital DSP headunit. He also called the dealer to ask for prices.

Summary: 6 disc changer is made by pioneer and has similar power / sound quality as any 200-300 aftermarket headunit.

Save you money and upgrade speakers and may be add a Sub.

·
Registered
359 Posts
the only reason why i upgraded my head was because i wanted the dvd/nav/better mp3 capabilities. otherwise i would do what pkoko said.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ditto pkoko-the head unit is more than enough, but i switched becasue i wanted to navi unit and be able to use my ipod as well. sure it was another $850 but worth it to me....good luck with what ever you choose and let us know what you ended up doing!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, I replaced my speakers, added two 6x9's to the rear deck, and KEPT the stock H/U. Sounds like a completely different system. The guy who installed the system even remarked that I could do VERY LITTLE BETTER with an aftermarket H/U. He was very impressed with the stock unit. IMO, if you're pulling the stock HU out and not putting a DVD/Nav in, you're wasting your hard earned money on something that's completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The stock HUs are decent enough but they lack any real expandability. I replaced my stock THX because I wanted iPod, Bluetooth, XM, Sirius and Navigation. Try and do all those things with the stock system. You would end up spending more than the aftermarket cost. Even then you still can't do it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts