FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=945

so yeah, k&n has a cold air intake for the fusion. it looks nice. it completely removes that old nasty ruber acordian peice. so yeah, i might have to get one.

and sell my steeda one.

haha, sorry steeda, but this one looks MUCH better then mine.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Re: New cold air intake!

ya i have looked at it. One guy in the V6 has is car at K&N so they can do one for that engine. I like that one as well but for the price no way in HE!!. It is $321.00 and adds the same HP to the wheels that he Steeda does (6HP to the tires). So for me i will keep the ugly rubber end and put my $130 extra to another mod (almost enough for springs).

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Benit - I really don't see how. The Steeda unit looks pretty good to me. They box in the filter much better in comparison to the K&N that I saw in the pictures.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

Here is a pix of K&N's kit

here is steeda's

Getting the stock rubber Thottle Body piping would be nice it looks crappy in my opinion buti can see why Steeda did not mess with it. It gives no more HP gain over and would only drive the price higher because of the extra pipe, welding of the breather tubes and such. As you can from the price of K&N's the price is much higher.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

removing the flex tube makes it look that much more clean. granted, i have a steeda intake already, and i enjoy it. if i didn't have it, i would easily get the k&n.

also if you notice, theirs no extra "luggage" as well as the THIRD air silencer is now gone, as apposed to still having it. i mean, in all honesty, the steeda intake is a metal maf housing with an open air element. same thing with the jusnes cai, its just a maf housing with an open air element. The K&N is the only one that seems to be true... hence going directly to the throttle body as opposed to the flex tube.

just my op.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=benit0 link=topic=88149.msg1690124#msg1690124 date=1188957956]
removing the flex tube makes it look that much more clean. granted, i have a steeda intake already, and i enjoy it. if i didn't have it, i would easily get the k&n.

also if you notice, theirs no extra "luggage" as well as the THIRD air silencer is now gone, as apposed to still having it. i mean, in all honesty, the steeda intake is a metal maf housing with an open air element. same thing with the jusnes cai, its just a maf housing with an open air element. The K&N is the only one that seems to be true... hence going directly to the throttle body as opposed to the flex tube.

just my op.

[/quote]

oh i agree with you 100% and i am going to be removing that "third silencer" as soon as i get off my lazy butt and get to the parts store for a clamp. I am a huge k&N fan and if the K&N would have been out before the steeda i more than likely would have gotten that one instead but i do like my Steeda intake because of the look as well as the function. The MAF housing is nice polished alum and the heat sheild also looks nice. If i had gotten the K&N i think i would have to paint it to make it look alittle better as it looks a little plain to me. But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

yeah, k&n seems to always do a good job with their designs.

i o don't intend on getting one because my friend is gonna take off his exhaust manifold from his mazdaspeed6 this winter when he garages it, and we're gonna see if it fits on my car. if it does, im most likely gonna order one OEM and try setting up my own turbo. its gonna be a big project between me and my 3 friends (who are all cert mechanics.) one of which has a supra limited doac twin turbo that he modified VERY nicely and the other has a lotus elan for his "fun" car that he's modified heavly. the last has an 03 cobra thats 1/4 mile set.

should be interesting.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=benit0 link=topic=88149.msg1690209#msg1690209 date=1188959433]
yeah, k&n seems to always do a good job with their designs.

i o don't intend on getting one because my friend is gonna take off his exhaust manifold from his mazdaspeed6 this winter when he garages it, and we're gonna see if it fits on my car. if it does, im most likely gonna order one OEM and try setting up my own turbo. its gonna be a big project between me and my 3 friends (who are all cert mechanics.) one of which has a supra limited doac twin turbo that he modified VERY nicely and the other has a lotus elan for his "fun" car that he's modified heavly. the last has an 03 cobra thats 1/4 mile set.

should be interesting.
[/quote]

sounds like fun. keep us all up to date on that. i am sure if it works then that will be the latest Fusion craze.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

on a random note, where'd you get that picture of that engine cover on your cardomain page?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=benit0 link=topic=88149.msg1690234#msg1690234 date=1188960186]
on a random note, where'd you get that picture of that engine cover on your cardomain page?
[/quote]

It was made buy a guy i used to be on the forum called Confusion. He made a few of them but dropped off the face of the earth almost a year ago. i had one on order from him but this is when he quick posting and never returned anymore of my e-mails. i am in the process of makeing my own right now. Just have to get some sheet metal from a local supplier then go to work i have a rough cut of it in cardboard i did yesterday so when i get the sheet metal i will see what i can come up with.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

you know, i might jsut steel my friends plastic covers from his speed6. ill take a look at them and see what it takes to fabricate one as well.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=benit0 link=topic=88149.msg1690264#msg1690264 date=1188960726]
you know, i might jsut steel my friends plastic covers from his speed6. ill take a look at them and see what it takes to fabricate one as well.
[/quote]

ya i just want something on there. i was thinking about pulling the cam cover and painting it but that would still not hide the fact there there are tons of ugly wires and hoses running all over the top of the motor. If i make my own engine cover then al that stuff is hiden and i can paint it how ever i feel like it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

although i love my car, i do agree that i cant stand all the electronics. way to many wires for its own good.... well, my own good since i cant make it look as clean as i'd like. im sure someone will find a way, weather its you or someone else out there. i just hope they show everyone else. if i do it, ill make sure to share.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=benit0 link=topic=88149.msg1690296#msg1690296 date=1188961279]
although i love my car, i do agree that i cant stand all the electronics. way to many wires for its own good.... well, my own good since i cant make it look as clean as i'd like. im sure someone will find a way, weather its you or someone else out there. i just hope they show everyone else. if i do it, ill make sure to share.
[/quote]

ya i am all about the write ups. anything to help out the fusion community. but the engine cover would not be one that everyone would want to do just because it is going to take a lot of hours to get it done.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Back to the original topic.....Autoanything sells the new Fusion Typhoon 69-3514TTK kit for $248.95. Humm....this makes the decision even more difficult. Is it worth $60 more than Steeda? Steeda may have more bling, but K&N appears to have more engineering and possibly function behind their product. It's still a lot of $$.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Re: New cold air intake! and alot of other stuff since its kinda hijacked now -O

Hmm...

I know Bob Jusnes and Steeda seem honorable......
But lets say the typhoon is better with a tune. Who would we get tunes from, or better yet, how would we know if they are unbiased?

The real question is: When will we see a tune optimized to work with the K&N intake?

All this fuss because people are sick of looking at that fugly flex tube. Seriously, what would it take to get an elbow, regardless of it attributing to any performance gains or not.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Re: New cold air intake! and alot of other stuff since its kinda hijacked now -O

[quote author=Crystallas link=topic=88149.msg1691933#msg1691933 date=1189022146]
Hmm...

I know Bob Jusnes and Steeda seem honorable......
But lets say the typhoon is better with a tune. Who would we get tunes from, or better yet, how would we know if they are unbiased?

The real question is: When will we see a tune optimized to work with the K&N intake?

All this fuss because people are sick of looking at that fugly flex tube. Seriously, what would it take to get an elbow, regardless of it attributing to any performance gains or not.
[/quote]

Knowing that there is no performance gain from it over steeda i would still have to say go with steeda. It is cheaper and has a little more bling to it. once i take off that other silencer sticking out the side of the tube i will have no complaints. Steeda is less than $200 shipped looks great, sounds great and the butt dyno can feel the gains. I am still sold on steeda.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
i can say one thing that now that k&N has there's out we will start to see AEM and some other compaines join in. And i would say in 2 years you will see some of those cheap chrome e-bay intakes out for $50 that even have the MAF housing on it. Have seen that happen on lots of cars. Friend of mine with an SRT-4 got his AEM intake because there were only a few people making them and paid over $200 for it. now e-bay is full of them that look the same but not name brand and i am sure work the same for $50 shipped.

·
Registered
613 Posts

LOL, why did you quote my post :)

My point wasn't about who is better, but if we could get good tunes for the K&N to compare.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts