FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Joe.

I am starting to look into the features and benifits of my new fusion, and was directed here by "urnews". Great forums here, well put together and organized. Like the title said, I just purchased a brand new 2007 AWD V6 black Ford Fusion with 2 tone interior. I am a sucker for the 2 tones :) . I am looking for simple future plans. I would like to tint the car 20% in the back and 35% up front and the windshield at 35% also. Then after that i am looking into getting remote start, and possible some type or portable navigation. The sound system is great, and i have an ipod for endless music. I also have my psp for more :) Maybe one day in the future, i will add a small system, including the one Alpine Type-R sub and 800w Alpine amp using a line output converter to my stock cd changer. But that will be a future install.

I love the way this car handles in all terrains, and the pickup on it is retty good. I am showing average of 21.1 mpg, so i am not complaining, but i would want more out of it later... hopefully when the motor is broken in a little more. I am hunting for 25 if possible :) I definatly would recommend the AWD over the FWD, as i have test drove both, and actually had a FWD demo. But still got the AWD because of the stability and safety.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Welcome to the forum Joe. Enjoy your stay and your new set of wheels. Have fun with both. Boz

·
Registered
619 Posts
Welcome Joe, I'm sure you'll love your new Fusion. But I see your another one that's been suckered by the marketers.

[quote author=youknowwhoibee link=topic=69998.msg1218638#msg1218638 date=1171990203]
But still got the AWD because of the stability and safety.
[/quote]

How exactly is the AWD safer than FWD? Just because it can get you going faster in inclement conditions, doesn't mean that it is any safer, in fact I would argue the opposite. My advice is to make sure you learn the limits of the car in controlled conditions and don't get overconfident in the traction ability of the car.

·
Registered
910 Posts
AWD is safer and definetly accelerates/grips the road better but as stated here, don't get to cocky! Congrats on the car and enjoy! (good to see another awd owner around!) I didn't know two tone was available for the fusion (thought it was only on the milan) do you perhaps mean the contrasting stitching? I love that on my car as well

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congrats Joe!
I have a Black AWD SEL too, with the snowstorm we had here in Pa the past week I was glas I had AWD because I saw a lot of FWD sedans having trouble getting out of our development.

I went with 20% tint all the way around......any darker and I would have a tough time at night.

Your gas mileage so far is better than some on here.

Take Care,
Kiv

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=kivfusion link=topic=69998.msg1219499#msg1219499 date=1172014871]
Congrats Joe!
I have a Black AWD SEL too, with the snowstorm we had here in Pa the past week I was glas I had AWD because I saw a lot of FWD sedans having trouble getting out of our development.

I went with 20% tint all the way around......any darker and I would have a tough time at night.

Your gas mileage so far is better than some on here.
[/quote]
My parents live in PA, they are in York. They told me is was rough up there last week, with all that ice. And my gas mileage keeps going up .01 at a time... i hope it keeps this trend :)

Thanks for all the comments. I will post pictures tomorrow!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=69998.msg1219463#msg1219463 date=1172013432]
Welcome Joe, I'm sure you'll love your new Fusion. But I see your another one that's been suckered by the marketers.
How exactly is the AWD safer than FWD? Just because it can get you going faster in inclement conditions, doesn't mean that it is any safer, in fact I would argue the opposite. My advice is to make sure you learn the limits of the car in controlled conditions and don't get overconfident in the traction ability of the car.
[/quote]
Think about how it is safer... So i am driving along with my 3 year old nephew in the back. It starts to rain, but i have came prepared. All 4 of my tires are gripping the wet pavement at the same time, so that means i can turn and not slide out, i can also brake easier with my 4 wheel abs, speed up if need be to, miss an obstruction in the way or even feel safer as i make a sharp turn. 4 wheels will always be superior to 1, anyway you look at it.

[quote author=otaku link=topic=69998.msg1219484#msg1219484 date=1172014322]
AWD is safer and definetly accelerates/grips the road better but as stated here, don't get to cocky! Congrats on the car and enjoy! (good to see another awd owner around!) I didn't know two tone was available for the fusion (thought it was only on the milan) do you perhaps mean the contrasting stitching? I love that on my car as well
[/quote]
2 tone as in, black dash and tan floor area and door panels. I love the way that looks.

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=youknowwhoibee link=topic=69998.msg1220649#msg1220649 date=1172058565]
[quote author=Waldo link=topic=69998.msg1219463#msg1219463 date=1172013432]
[/quote]
Think about how it is safer... So i am driving along with my 3 year old nephew in the back. It starts to rain, but i have came prepared. All 4 of my tires are gripping the wet pavement at the same time, so that means i can turn and not slide out, i can also brake easier with my 4 wheel abs, speed up if need be to, miss an obstruction in the way or even feel safer as i make a sharp turn. 4 wheels will always be superior to 1, anyway you look at it.

[/quote]

Joe, you've only proven my point that marketing has mislead a lot of people as to the way AWD actually works and what it can accomplish. There's another thread started in another section, but to summarize, AWD only gives you more traction when you are accelerating. It WILL NOT help you go around a corner faster. It WILL NOT help you stop faster. And it most certainly WILL NOT allow you to turn in the wet and not "slide out". All of this is dependent on the tires and the suspension of the car. The AWD only distrubutes engine power among the 4 wheels, it doesn't distribute any magical extra grip, since on any FWD car all 4 wheels are already used to their full potential when cornering and braking.

I hope only to educate, because I don't want people to gain an overconfidence in their AWD system, that's why you see so many SUVs in the ditch after a snowstorm. Please don't "feel safer when you make a sharp turn" because you are not. You are just as safe as anyone in a FWD Fusion, which is to say, very safe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your wrong on acceleration, go to a drag strip, watch the cars. A 300 hp Evo VS. a tuned 300 hp GTI (fwd) and i guarentee you the evo has better 60 foot times.... meaning better acceleration. There is a reason for all wheel drive, not just the badge on my trunk. If you want to have a confrontation about this and see who is more "e-tuff" start a new thead. Or post the link to the exsisting thread and thats it. I have nothing to prove to you, and i am not some little kid with a lead foot. Grow up and stay out of my threads. I know more about cars than you will ever know so dont contest me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ding Ding.....end of round one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
[quote author=youknowwhoibee link=topic=69998.msg1221215#msg1221215 date=1172079063]
your wrong on acceleration, go to a drag strip, watch the cars. A 300 hp Evo VS. a tuned 300 hp GTI (fwd) and i guarentee you the evo has better 60 foot times.... meaning better acceleration. There is a reason for all wheel drive, not just the badge on my trunk. If you want to have a confrontation about this and see who is more "e-tuff" start a new thead. Or post the link to the exsisting thread and thats it. I have nothing to prove to you, and i am not some little kid with a lead foot. Grow up and stay out of my threads. I know more about cars than you will ever know so dont contest me.
[/quote]

Did you actually read what he posted? He said that the advantage of AWD was in straight line acceleration.

BTW, nice attitude you bring to as a newb to the forum.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=kivfusion link=topic=69998.msg1221418#msg1221418 date=1172084461]
Ding Ding.....end of round one.
[/quote]
Let us all hope there are no subsequent rounds.

We have AWD but only because the car on the lot came equipped that way. Had we not liked all of the other features -- color, heated leather, moon roof, V6, six-speed automatic, sportier rims and tires -- we would not have bought it just because of the AWD.

Given our horrific mileage -- 13 mpg city -- for the first 1,800 miles, we are already sorry it came with AWD. The difference between 13 mpg and the EPA-estimated 19 mpg is an EXTRA $539.24 a year, based on 10,000 miles driven with gasoline at $2.22 per gallon. This on top of the fact that the car had a MSRP of $27,105 when a base model S starts at $17,795. Is our SEL AWD really worth almost $10,000 more than an S FWD? I seriously doubt it.

Given an identical set of circumstances -- say a sudden swerve to avoid an object in the road -- is an AWD vehicle "safer" that a FWD or RWD one? One might suppose that having power going to four wheels would be an advantage but is it really? I wouldn't be so pretentious as to suppose that would be the case. Maybe this is a question for one of the safety institutes to decide.

Do we "feel" safer? Yes. Are we? Who knows? Personally I feel like there is a lot of hype and selling going on with regards to AWD. That's just one person's opinion, of course. Different strokes for different folks. LOL.

·
Registered
509 Posts
[quote author=urnews link=topic=69998.msg1221519#msg1221519 date=1172086815]
Given an identical set of circumstances -- say a sudden swerve to avoid an object in the road -- is an AWD vehicle "safer" that a FWD or RWD one? One might suppose that having power going to four wheels would be an advantage but is it really?[/quote]

Boz, in that situation it would also be reasonable to assume that you would at least let off the accelerator, if not also apply the brakes. In either case the car will behave EXACTLY as a FWD Fusion would, with the exception of slightly higher weight.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Excellent point, HMW3.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is no round one or two or three. I am simply saying hello and letting you know about my purchase. And as far as the newb comment... grow up. People stopped playing rougue spear in 2000. I am looking for an informative site, for enthusiests like myself with my Ford Fusion. To my defense, the reason why i have an AWD car, is traction. I can receive snow or ice at anytime in my area. And i wanted an AWD car to handle that type of terrain. My wife drives a millenia and got stuck in the snow everyday trying to park, for the past week and a half. Me... I pull right in and thats it. I like AWD, and I feel it was a good decision. So what I paid an extra... 3k (or whatever the real cost is) i am happy with it. And i didnt buy the car for anyone else but myself.

·
Registered
817 Posts
That's really the most important factor: Being happy, satisfied with the purchase. We like, and enjoy, almost everything about our SEL AWD '07 Fusion EXCEPT for the 13 mpg in-city mileage. I seriously doubt if it will ever reach the EPA estimate of 19 mpg, or even close to it. The bad mileage is something we are just going to have to live with, but we can't be expected to be happy about that situation.

youknowwhoibee, good luck with your new car and have fun. Enjoy the forum and post often.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your gas millage gauge reads what? Like i said, today mine reads 21.2. I have about 1000 miles on her now, so she is still breaking in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
urnews,

You MPG still did not improve even after PCM upgrade?? Did dealer do anything??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts