FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we in Indiana got our first snow storm this year. I really can't believe FoMoCo used these tires on the zephyr or MKZ. Those tires really are not good all seasons. They got enough traction as those summer only tires in snow. Even worse these tires are riducously expensive ($200+ each). I was driving today and the ABS/ traction control did too much work. the roads were not that bad. The Car even swirved sideways will turning at most 20 degrees at less than 20 MPH. These tires are awful they are even worse than the Michelen Pilots HX tires I had before which themselves are rated very poor for winter traction; see tirerack fpr that.

next winter, I realy don't know either to keep or not. I only drive those tires in winter and I use my Kumos in the summer. I just can't believe those tires are that bad. I am seriously thinking of moving those michelens to my Dad's Milan. and replace them with some good allseasons like Yokohama Avids.

If I was going to rate them:

Dry Traction: B (average to above averrage)
Wet traction: B+ (above average)
Snow traction: D+ (trying to be generous b/c they are drivable)
tread wear: A- (based on other users past experiences of 45K-55K)
Comfort: A (take care of most small bumps on the road)
Road noise: B+ (hard to judge b/c car is too queit; as good as Kumo ESTA AST)
Value: D (yokohama avid v4; are $130 with 45K tread wear warranty and beat michelen in every catagory except comfort)

Again why put tires with only good comfort/ treadwear rating?? Am I the only one with this opinion??

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
They're Michelin Pilot HXMX M4's, right? I actually use them specifically as snow tires. They aren't great, but they're what I have and they're perfectly driveable (I use Cooper Zeon 2XS Ultra High Performance Summer Tires for summer). Eventually I'll switch to Dunlop Winter Sport M3's when they burn out... I mean you really shouldn't use all season tires in serious snow conditions... there's a reason all season tires are called no season tires ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
619 Posts
You're forgetting one of the most important criteria OEMs must use when selecting tires; rolling resistance. Usually to get a tire to a low rolling resistance it means choosing a compound that isn't optimal in snow. That's why most aftermarket all seasons tend to be better in the snow than OE tires, because aftermarket customers don't know or care about rolling resistance.

A couple tenths of a MPG doesn't mean much to most individual consumers, but spread across 300,000 vehicles a year it can make a big difference in acheiving CAFE requirements.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think it's wierd the Lincolns came with the Michelin Energy instead of Michelin Pilots like the Fusion and Milan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I was going to rate them:

Dry Traction: B (average to above averrage)
Wet traction: B+ (above average)
Snow traction: D+ (trying to be generous b/c they are drivable)
tread wear: A- (based on other users past experiences of 45K-55K)
Comfort: A (take care of most small bumps on the road)
Road noise: B+ (hard to judge b/c car is too queit; as good as Kumo ESTA AST)
Value: D (yokohama avid v4; are $130 with 45K tread wear warranty and beat michelen in every catagory except comfort)

Again why put tires with only good comfort/ treadwear rating?? Am I the only one with this opinion??

Thanks.
[/quote]

Dry traction is: A
Wet Traction is: A -
Snow traction is: D

I live in Eastern Canada with -20*C weather with constant Snow and Ice that never leaves the ground...and I'm surviving, just take a little extra caution...I mean these tires are great summer tires...they just aint good all-seasons, I'd rather have a sportier tire then some clunky all season...then agian I'm young so I'd perfer looks than winter performance

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Michelin isn't even a good tire for the rain in the summer---if anybody out there likes these Michelins that came on the Fusion let me know--as soon as I buy new ones i'll sell these to you for a very good price plus shipping from Indpls.,In

G

·
No offense to any people. But, I love the tires on my Fusion. You really don't know how bad you have it, until you have pure shit.

When I got my first truck, I never traded the tires out for nothing. In the winter when we had six inches of snow, I got it stuck backing down the driveway. When the road was even slightly damp, the truck would fishtail. And as for dry conditions, I peeled out trying to get to highway speed on the on-ramp when the roads where dry! They were horrible tires, and only had maybe a 1/16th of an inch of tread on their.

Now that I have my Fusion, comfort is great, road conditions are great. As for snow, well I have only driven in an inch of snow so far, but they perform well, no swerving, and handling is still great. I'm not sure how they would act in 6 inches of snow, but I'm sure they are better then my trucks tires.

·
Registered
817 Posts
So, Ryman, what tires do you have on the Fusion?

·
Registered
359 Posts
conditions 15 degress and below... watch out... i just posted a thread about it. There was no snow on the road, but the road was wet (and icy). I know there are better tires because cars (yes cars, not trucks) were passing me left and right double to triple my speed. I couldnt go above 20. Has to be the tires.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Acording to tirerack the fusion/milan folks have it even worse :shock:
Fusion/Milan
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+HX+MXM4
Zephyr/MKZ
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+MXV4+S8

So I shouldn't really be complaining!!

Why didn't FoMoCo put these tires on; they are cheaper and better
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+V4S

I had those tires on a RWD Jaguar; and I drove in 8" of snow with them no problem. If anyone wants alternatives over michelen try these.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the pilots. Love them myself. Comfy and they grip very well if you ask me. I have awd fusion. I love watching all the hondas and toyotas spin their tires while I zoom by. I take off quicker to. Been in a few storms and with snow of a few inches 2-3 so its reasonable well broken in. After these are worn though I may try something else

·
Registered
817 Posts
Like Otaku we have an AWD SEL V6 with P255/50R-17 Michelin Pilots and have no complaints, but they -- and the car -- haven't really had much of a snow test yet. We might go for a better riding tire when these wear out. We're hoping to get 40,000 miles out of them, about four years. I'm sure there will be more tires to choose from at that time. Even tire technology is always changing.

·
Registered
391 Posts
[quote author=indycop link=topic=68844.msg1192753#msg1192753 date=1170879462]
The Michelin isn't even a good tire for the rain in the summer---if anybody out there likes these Michelins that came on the Fusion let me know--as soon as I buy new ones i'll sell these to you for a very good price plus shipping from Indpls.,In
[/quote]

actually the michelins are pretty good in the rain. ive done 112mph in heavy rain for hours with them and they felt stable and gripped reasonably well

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I run my Michelin's over 100 MPH semi-regularly (once-twice per week). At around 19,000 miles, I can safely say that these are the worst tires I've ever had on a vehicle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm sure ya'll are done with this thread.... but I have a 2007 Fusion SE, and it came with some Continentals. I don't know which model, cause up till now, I just assumed ALL FUIONS came with the tires I have. Anyway, my tires have good grip. (with the exception that whey totally chirp when I make a fast stop) But best of all, they totally float thru chunky potholes. I'm totally pleased with my tires/ride/performance/yada/yada. Haven't done snow yet. Kinda hope I don't any time soon. I'm from Indiana too. So I'm pretty over snow.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe all of the Fusions with 16-inch wheels come with Continentals while the 17-inch wheels all wear Michelins. The P225/50R/17s Pilots are an OK tire but we will probably go to a Goodyear tire when it's time to replace them. Michelin tires are just too expensive for what they are, an average tire, not particularly outstanding in any area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.