FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2013 Fusion secondhand May 2015. That summer, I put on a new set of Michelin Premiere A/S tires on the car. I don't drive much so I am guessing I put on maybe 8000 miles on the car since then. This is the first real winter that I have had a chance to drive the car in snow/ice and it's really got me worried.

We had our first snow day a week before Christmas. We got maybe 3 inches or something. After the roads had been cleared, I went out for a drive. As I said, the roads had already been ploughed but of course there were small patches of a thin layer of snow here and there, such as at intersections and in front of people’s driveways. Every time I went over one of these patches, the rear of the car went sideways. Every time I took off from a traffic light, the front tires would start skidding in any small patches of snow that was there.

Then today, the day after Christmas, I was heading to the mall. A very light drizzle started. The temp was around 29 degrees so the water started turning to slush. Mind you, there was hardly any accumulation on the road. I was on the off ramp to the mall, in a long line of cars barely moving. When we were moving, it was at crawl speed. When I used my brake to stop from that crawl, the car would start skidding and the ABS would kick in. To say it was unnerving would be an understatement. Thankfully, I didn’t have a crash.

Now I have lived in Upstate NY for most of my adult life. I have driven through blizzards and over roads that had turned to skating rinks. I know how to drive in snow and ice. Before the Fusion, I had an Altima. It had well-worn 4-year-old tires on it. I would go driving in it in the middle of nasty winter storms to take photos (I do photography and winter is one of my favorite times to do that.) My Altima never gave me cause for concern. I mean I was driving over unplowed roads and the Altima kept going. Did I get stuck a couple of times? Sure, because I was pushing the limits of what the Altima could handle, but I never felt as though the car was going to slip out from under me.

What’s going on? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thank you!

· Registered
274 Posts
all new cars have much less traction than front wheel drive cars of the past. i believe this is due to lighter engines, aluminum blocks, etc..
lower profile tires arent helping either.
when i bought my 08 fusion new, i was disappointed in its snow ability. after driving a taurus sho with a cast iron v6 with huge headsfor years, it was really lacking in the winter. both cars are manuals.
i have since bought a set of steel wheels with dedicated winter tires and this has helped greatly. the winter wheels are 16 inch instead of the stock 17 so there is a bit more sidewall. another improvement came from installing bilstein shocks/struts. the car goes like a champ now in the snow. im very happy with the blizzak ws80.

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Sounds like you had an alignment issue or somthing. Very weird for the rear to kick out like that.

I don't think the lighter front ends would be a problem as all cars are much heavier now. Now days anything under 3000lbs is crazy light and between 3000-3500 is light. Ive had no problems in my 2011 Sport and have heard great things about all Fusions performance on snow/ice.

I recently did a couple snow videos in my Sport AWD this past winter. I'm also running winter tires (Cooper Weathermaser ST-2) and the car is unstoppable.

https://youtu.be/kSPLLQ2Nde4

https://youtu.be/p4a5-iOFkCE

· Registered
274 Posts
its not about the weight of the car, its how the weight is balanced on the car. engines/drivetrains are lighter now and that decreases winter traction. makes for better handling tho. its somewhat the same concept as putting weight over the drive wheels on a rwd application.
you having awd is a different story, of course that will go well in the snow.

many fwd cars are having this problem, cobalts arent as good in the snow as the older cavaliers...newer foci arent as good as the older foci..

· Registered
3 Posts
Honestly mine is horrible in the snow. I have a 2011 ford fusion sport and it’s good when it’s going but when you lose that it will not go through snow for anything. I got stuck so much this winter even with a little bit of snow on the ground I’m sliding or stuck. I have new all season tires so it’s not that. The pasted few years have been so ruff in the winter.

· Administrator
6,178 Posts
Honestly mine is horrible in the snow. I have a 2011 ford fusion sport and it’s good when it’s going but when you lose that it will not go through snow for anything. I got stuck so much this winter even with a little bit of snow on the ground I’m sliding or stuck. I have new all season tires so it’s not that. The pasted few years have been so ruff in the winter.
Hi engenjamie and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. The only part of the vehicle which touches the ground are the contact patches of the tires. The snow has no idea what car is attached to the tires. Therefore, unless the driver is driving with a heavy hand and lead foot, and is killing most traction, the primary factor in snow traction is tires. We obviously assume you know how to drive in snow, so the issue is the tires.

The underlying automotive physics are simple. All mid-size, AWD, 4dr sedans will handle approximately the same in snow (in safe/sane driving), when equipped with the same tires. So the issue here is those new "all-season" tires some shop sold you are not very good in the snow.

Try another make and/or model of tires next time. Something rated higher for snow traction.

Out of curiosity, what make, model and size are the tires?

Keep us updated and good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts