FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their Fusion developing a musty smell from the air conditioning? We picked up the car in Feburary and I noticed the musty smell when we began using the A/C around May. The dealer said to run max a/c hot for about five minutes every so often to cook it out. It seems to help but it keeps coming back. Any ideas???
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I have heard of this in other cars. Have the dealership spray some AC Disinfectant into the intake system to make it smell better.

·
Registered
982 Posts
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=80053.msg1476428#msg1476428 date=1181528086]
Another way to help reduce the musty smell is to run just air through the vents after you use the A/C for about 1-2 minutes.
[/quote]

This will definitley help, but if you still have the smell use some good-smelling lysol and spray it into the air intakes near at the cowl. Spray for a few seconds with the fan on 2 and let it circulate for a bit.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The Milan that I have has the same issue. I do not see any condensated water (from the air cond.) dripping on the ground, so I am going to assume that the rubber bladder that exhausts the water is plugged up. If the water is not allowed to escape, a smell will develop.

·
Registered
230 Posts
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=80053.msg1476428#msg1476428 date=1181528086]
Another way to help reduce the musty smell is to run just air through the vents after you use the A/C for about 1-2 minutes.
[/quote]
I do this on all my cars and NEVER have a problem with moldy/musty smells from the vents.
Just turn OFF your A/C a couple mins before you pull into your driveway and just run the outside air through your vents. This will dry any moisture inside the ducts so you won't get any smell.

·
Registered
205 Posts
[quote author=manualfusion link=topic=80053.msg1476270#msg1476270 date=1181523508]
Has anyone had a problem with their Fusion developing a musty smell from the air conditioning? We picked up the car in Feburary and I noticed the musty smell when we began using the A/C around May. The dealer said to run max a/c hot for about five minutes every so often to cook it out. It seems to help but it keeps coming back. Any ideas???
Thanks
Dave
[/quote]

You're not the only one with that problem. I have an '08 Fusion SEL that I bought new in April of this year. Since it has gotten so hot here in SE Oklahoma there is an awful smell coming from the vents when I turn the AC on. The longer the car is in the heat of the summer without driving it, the worse the smell is when I do get in and start it and turn the AC on. I haven't tried spraying Lysol into the intake vent yet. I don't have kids that could be possibly putting something into the vents that may be causing the smell, so that leave that possibility out.

I read a post where someone with the European version of the Fusion also has a problem with bad smell coming out of the AC vent.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Theres another thread on this with some good suggestions

·
Registered
95 Posts
easy solution , 1 clear the drain tube from the evaporator , a blocked tube will retain water and cause mildue and mold. 2 see you ford dealer there are ac flushes that clean the evaporator. it takes a special tool part number is either cyn 18 ( canada ) or yn 18 in the states. 01-03 f150 were very common to have same trouble we get 5-10 every summer in our shop. there are also other aftermarket drain kits and evaporator scrubbers out there but we have never used them

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine is continuing to get worse. I finally have an appointment at the dealers. They've order some special stuff fron Ford that is suppose to do the trick, I hope!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am new to this forum.......just bought a 2009 Milan. I had the same problem with my 1997 Taurus and the fix was replacing the cabin air filter. I don't even know if the Fusion/Milans have these filters but if they do this could be your answer. The filter gets dirty and damp and eventually gets mildewed. I've also taken my filter out, cleaned it and sprayed it with a mild mixture of water and bleach. Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=bossdriver link=topic=80053.msg2545133#msg2545133 date=1218933837]
I am new to this forum.......just bought a 2009 Milan. I had the same problem with my 1997 Taurus and the fix was replacing the cabin air filter. I don't even know if the Fusion/Milans have these filters but if they do this could be your answer. The filter gets dirty and damp and eventually gets mildewed. I've also taken my filter out, cleaned it and sprayed it with a mild mixture of water and bleach. Hope this is of some help.
[/quote]Unfortunately, no cabin air filter in our cars. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts