FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone at BlueOvalNews saw this in the March Motor Trend

" One SVT insider also has hinted that they’re eyeing the turbo- charged, all-wheel-drive Mazda Speed6 to yield its powertrain and suspension upgrades to create an SVT Fusion. As the 6 and Fusion share platform architecture, it wouldn’t be a huge stretch. The blown and intercooled 2.3-liter 1-4 could produce as much as 300 horsepower in SVT form."
I'd rather they used the V6 as the starting point for the SVT model, this seems like an "easy way out" solution so they wouldn't have to do much new engineering. Hopefully it isn't true.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To be honest, not sure if I would mind. 3.5 Super charged to 300 or a lighter weight engine in the 2.3 Turbo. If they do that it could contain the price hike so it won't be as bad, as Ford doesn't have to R&D the V6 with a Supercharger and the Haldex System, as the Mazdaspeed 6 R&D has been done system already works with the Mazda 6/Fusion Platform

·
Registered
33 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Well, if they used a tc/intercooled 2.3, that would just be Mazda6 redux.

I'd much prefer a supercharged 3.0 or 3.5.
I would prefer that too, but I would take the TC/Intercooled 2.3 if it keeps the price hike to a minimum, if not I say the SC/Intercooled 3.5 or 3.0 V6

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Well, by switching to Direct Injection and running an intercooled turbo (relatively small turbo), Mazda got it up to 276 HP / 280 ft-lb. It's hard to compare cost though because there's some extra features (like AWD).

·
Registered
33 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Well, by switching to Direct Injection and running an intercooled turbo (relatively small turbo), Mazda got it up to 276 HP / 280 ft-lb. It's hard to compare cost though because there's some extra features (like AWD).

Which I find really weird and cool as I'm used to more HP than torque like a 20 to 40 hp above torque for a Turbo 4 cyl. Mazda really did some awesome work on that to get them almost even!!

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Well, DSI is a lot of it, not just the turbo/intercooler.

That being said, the Evo VIII does the same thing, for example. (276 hp / 286 ft-lb)

·
Registered
33 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Well, DSI is a lot of it, not just the turbo/intercooler.

That being said, the Evo VIII does the same thing, for example. (276 hp / 286 ft-lb)
Cool, i'm not up to date on the DSI, need to research that!

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
More and more direct injected (as opposed to port injection) cars are coming out... if I remembe rright, Audi is big on it. It produces a lot more power, but generally at a cost in mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts