FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any way to adjust where the moonroof automatically stops? The rear of my moonroof seems to sit a bit low, not sure how long it's been like this, or if it gradually happened.
It doesn't matter which way it closes, forward or backward. (2007, no warranty anymore.) Dealer says it'll cost up to $115 for diagnostic, can't just get a simple answer out of them.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I would check for debris in the front of the moon roof or a loose gasket that may be binding. that shoud definitely be flat and not dropped. make sure your wind deflector isnt getting jammed up. also all else fails a good can of white lithium grease in the tracks might help. i would lean towards the wind screen or a piece of debris if the roof opens and closes smoothly. you will have to drop the headliner to adjust anything as fusions do not have an access hatch in the rear seats to get to the motor. my old shitsubishi had an access panel and an actual hand crank if it failed. you should be able to bring it almost to full closed and stop it to check to see if the rear gasket is jacked up.

also see if you can push it closed by sliding the liner back and gently pushing up on the glass with a flat hand. if you can your drive gear/belt may have skipped a tooth.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm able to push it up by hand, just a nudge is all it takes. I will give it good looking over for debris and also a little greasin' when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
[quote author=fusionff link=topic=199978.msg4134610#msg4134610 date=1319223200]
Yeah, I'm able to push it up by hand, just a nudge is all it takes. I will give it good looking over for debris and also a little greasin' when I get a chance.
[/quote]

grease may solve the problem if it needs just a little help to close. run a little tire shine on the gasket at the rear to see if it helps the problem too. it maybe getting hung up on the rubber gasket a bit. and tire shine wont hurt the rubber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had the same problem on my '07 Milan which seemed to appear after a dead battery caused by the CD player in the radio-but that's another issue. I poked around and found the initialization procedure to set the moonroof. Evidently, it has encoders which need to be calibrated after some event like mine.

In any case it worked first time. Easy to do and took about 2 minutes if that. Worth a try.

http://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-fusion-70/2006-fusion-sunroof-17461/

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=joec78 link=topic=199978.msg4142752#msg4142752 date=1320523082]
I just had the same problem on my '07 Milan which seemed to appear after a dead battery caused by the CD player in the radio-but that's another issue. I poked around and found the initialization procedure to set the moonroof. Evidently, it has encoders which need to be calibrated after some event like mine.

In any case it worked first time. Easy to do and took about 2 minutes if that. Worth a try.

http://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-fusion-70/2006-fusion-sunroof-17461/
[/quote]

You, Joe, are the man! I just gave that procedure a try and it worked the first time for me also.
Took about a minute and it sits level again.

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great, I'm glad it worked for you. The wind noise was driving me crazy, as this car has always been pretty quiet. That's when I noticed the low roof. Good thing it didn't leak!

Next-the driver door rattle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I read through that panel initialization procedure 10 times, then brought the laptop out to the car to try it. No luck!

I've been having the same sagging sunroof problem for months and this doesn't seem to be working. I have a feeling I am getting the steps wrong though.

Could someone who has successfully done the panel initialization procedure explain this in different words. The buttons I have on my roof are "vent" "close" and "open". I'm not sure I was pushing the right buttons at the right time or something.

Help would be greatly appreciated because I am really close to going down to the dealer and forking over diagnostic and repair fees to get this thing fixed before it starts raining inside my Fusion this winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The procedure as written is a little confusing, so I re-organized it when I did it. "VENT", when the rear of the panel tilts up, is pushing the "forward" part of the button. A cycle is VENT, then CLOSE, then OPEN (full retraction into the car), then CLOSE.

NOTE: Make sure the front door is open during this step.

1. Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
For a new roof opening panel motor, press and hold the roof opening panel control switch forward until the roof opening panel glass moves to the full VENT position.

2. Cycle the ignition from ON to OFF and then back to ON.

3. Within 5 seconds:
press and release the roof opening panel control switch forward. (VENT)

4. Press and hold the roof opening panel control switch forward. (VENT)

5. Continue holding the roof opening panel control switch forward for 5 seconds after the roof opening panel motor stops moving to confirm this position to the roof opening panel motor.

6. Release the roof opening panel switch and test the system for normal operation by checking the one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent and close operations. Five complete cycles must be carried out for the roof opening panel motor to be correctly initialized.

7. (NOTE: Only complete open and close motions count towards the cycle count. If the roof opening panel reverses during closing operations, perform the cycles with the roof opening panel control switch continuously held during the closing motions.)

I hope this helps. Definitely try this before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The procedure as written is a little confusing, so I re-organized it when I did it. "VENT", when the rear of the panel tilts up, is pushing the "forward" part of the button. A cycle is VENT, then CLOSE, then OPEN (full retraction into the car), then CLOSE.

1. Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
For a new roof opening panel motor, press and hold the roof opening panel control switch forward until the roof opening panel glass moves to the full VENT position.

2. Cycle the ignition from ON to OFF and then back to ON.

3. Within 5 seconds:
press and release the roof opening panel control switch forward. (VENT)

4. Press and hold the roof opening panel control switch forward. (VENT)

5. Continue holding the roof opening panel control switch forward for 5 seconds after the roof opening panel motor stops moving to confirm this position to the roof opening panel motor.

6. Release the roof opening panel switch and test the system for normal operation by checking the one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent and close operations. Five complete cycles must be carried out for the roof opening panel motor to be correctly initialized.

7. (NOTE: Only complete open and close motions count towards the cycle count. If the roof opening panel reverses during closing operations, perform the cycles with the roof opening panel control switch continuously held during the closing motions.)

I hope this helps. Definitely try this before going to the dealer.
I will most definitely try this in the morning. Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts