FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone just removed the factory resonator or swapped the stock mufflers for after-market?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I don't think anyone around here has tried this. Let us know if you give it a try and what you think.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I actually think I'm just going to swap my mufflers for a more aggressive sound, but haven't even started to research it - what size is the exhaust? I'm a fan of the stock sound anyway, and I personally think anything more than stock is too loud. I've been looking at Flowmaster 60's that seem to be pretty good in performance yet not all that loud. I was considering a complete overhaul, but the more I think about it, the more I just think I like the stock the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 96 Contour SE V6 that I removed the resonator (sounded good) and then replaced the factory mufflers
with after market (sounded better). I thought the factory exhaust was 2.5", same as the Magnaflow? If you
remove or replace the resonator and replace the mufflers the performance gain should be very close of better
than Magnaflows claim. Assuming replacement parts are better or as good.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Darin link=topic=86964.msg1660633#msg1660633 date=1187786530]
the performance gain
[/quote]

With the quality of stock exhausts nowadays, there's probably not much performance gain to be had just with exhaust. Now if you add in headers, intake, etc., then sure, that might be your bottle neck. However, on an otherwise stock car, bet you're picking up 4 whp at the MOST, despite what so many butt dynos claim ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=86964.msg1660647#msg1660647 date=1187787088]
the performance gain
[/quote]

With the quality of stock exhausts nowadays, there's probably not much performance gain to be had just with exhaust. Now if you add in headers, intake, etc., then sure, that might be your bottle neck. However, on an otherwise stock car, bet you're picking up 4 whp at the MOST, despite what so many butt dynos claim ;)
[/quote]

I agree 100%. I think it's funny when someone changes something on their car and claim they can feel that 4 HP.
That's why I said "Magnaflows claim"

I just want a better exhaust note if I wanted power it would be intake and a dyno-tune.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I had a 96 Contour SE V6 that I removed the resonator (sounded good) and then replaced the factory mufflers
with after market (sounded better). I thought the factory exhaust was 2.5", same as the Magnaflow? If you
remove or replace the resonator and replace the mufflers the performance gain should be very close of better
[/quote]

I had a 99 Contour SE V6 and I just swapped the stock muffler with a 3.5" pipe. I was going to replace it with a performance muffler, but the guy at the shop said it wouldn't do a whole lot and he suggested removing the muffler altogether. I went with his advice and I loved it everyday for 3 years. It sounded mean and the tip looked awesome.

I wouldn't do anything to the Fusion's exhaust besides getting the Magnaflow catback. I wouldn't want it to sound too loud. I like how it's quite at idle but loud when it floor it (especially with my Steeda CAI). The Contour rumbled at idle and it was really loud all the time, which I loved. But I don't think that would be appropriate for a Fusion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=11011101 link=topic=86964.msg1661031#msg1661031 date=1187795732]
[/quote]

I had a 99 Contour SE V6 and I just swapped the stock muffler with a 3.5" pipe. I was going to replace it with a performance muffler, but the guy at the shop said it wouldn't do a whole lot and he suggested removing the muffler altogether. I went with his advice and I loved it everyday for 3 years. It sounded mean and the tip looked awesome.

I wouldn't do anything to the Fusion's exhaust besides getting the Magnaflow catback. I wouldn't want it to sound too loud. I like how it's quite at idle but loud when it floor it (especially with my Steeda CAI). The Contour rumbled at idle and it was really loud all the time, which I loved. But I don't think that would be appropriate for a Fusion.
[/quote]

I don't want it too loud either, definitely not straight pipe instead of muffler loud. That's why the only part I would
consider not replacing would be the resonator. If I thought it was too loud without it, it would not cost a lot to
replace it with another.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
[quote author=Darin link=topic=86964.msg1658180#msg1658180 date=1187700511]
Has anyone just removed the factory resonator or swapped the stock mufflers for after-market?
[/quote]I did, that's all I could do with the AWD. There's a post somewhere around here with pictures. Sounds and looks really good IMO. I've got some pics and a small audio clip just down the same page where you posted this. Sorry don't know shit about computers or else I could have noved it to here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts