FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've washed my new Fusion and noticed some unusual construction on it. The front and rear windshields do not have any type rubber/chrome or other material that covers the gap between the body and the glass. There is a 1/4" gap all round the top and sides, most cars have a rubber molding in that gap. I walked around a large parking lot yesterday and every car I looked at had rubber or some other type material that covered that gap.

This leaves a rather hard place to clean but does offer unobstructed water runoff down the sides of the windshields. It looks like it was planned this way but to me it seems 'unfinished'.
It's strange, looks like something was forgotten and I'm not sure I like it.
What do you think?

Front A Pillar Driver's side, top

Rear windshield, top, driver's side

· Administrator
6,178 Posts
I've washed my new Fusion and noticed some unusual construction on it. The front and rear windshields do not have any type rubber/chrome or other material that covers the gap between the body and the glass. There is a 1/4" gap all round the top and sides, most cars have a rubber molding in that gap. I walked around a large parking lot yesterday and every car I looked at had rubber or some other type material that covered that gap.

This leaves a rather hard place to clean but does offer unobstructed water runoff down the sides of the windshields. It looks like it was planned this way but to me it seems 'unfinished'.
It's strange, looks like something was forgotten and I'm not sure I like it.
What do you think?
Hi GrySql.:wavey: Your car is not missing any trim or moulding. The 2006-2012 Fusion and MKZ are the same. This is how many new cars are.

Good luck.:cheers:

· Registered
25 Posts
Just ran out and checked, my 2013 is the same way. I never noticed it before...probably because mine is black and tinted so it all kind of blends together. Agree with you though...that gap on top is going to hold small twiggs and such and be a pain to clean out.

· Registered
378 Posts
Yep, normal but odd. I don't like it at all. The tree near my house has tiny leaves that love to get caught in there.

Plus side: when using the windshield washer fluid at speed, it does not run around the A-pillar and flow down the side window, seems like that gap catches it all.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
So, it's the 'new' way of doing things but my feelings are mixed on it's looks and utility.
Getting the bug guts out of there when I wash it will require some added effort.

One thing I really like is the BIG windshield wipers, they just about clean the entire windshield.

Now I'm looking for a waterproof trunk/cargo liner, so far I have not found one made for the Hybrid.
After replacing the Expedition with this car I know my wife will still be putting plants/flowers and bags of potting soil in the trunk.
I emailed Husky and they explained they haven't measured the Fusion Hybrid trunk yet but will get to it soon. I hope so.

· Administrator
6,178 Posts
Has my one had leaks yet? I have a 2019 and now it’s leaking where my sunglasses go
HI kandyfkavanyaear and welcome to the Ford Fusion CLub. Leaks and otehr issues can and do occur, no matter how infrequently.

In the case of what you are describing, the likely culprit would be blocked moonroof drains . There is a drain in each corner (front left/right, and rear left right). So check them first, or have them checked by your Ford Dealer or a competent shop.

The next likely culprit would be a windshield leak, although blocked moonroof drains would be the more likely source

Is your 2019 Fusion still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty? If yes, call the Service Department at your Ford Dealer and make an appointment to have it properly diagnosed and corrected.

If not, take it a shop you trust or a glass repair shop.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts