FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the lease on my explorer sportrac adrenaline edition is up and suffice it to say, I may want to move out of the SUV/truck category... I was looking at some cars at the local ford dealership and was pretty impressed with the fusion, although I have yet to really test drive it and do not know much about the car. I saw a particularly nice oxford white sel awd with tan interior... which may turn out to be my next car...

The point of this post however, is to get everyones opinions on the fusion, i.e. pros and cons and likes and dislikes... i know i should test drive it and will get around to that sometime this week, but its always good to hear opinions from actual owners of the car... (and yes i know what the "search feature" is on these boards haha but i would really appreciate some first hand knowledge)

Anyway, a few of my main questions would be...

how does the car handle? does it ride smooth (keep in mind ive had suvs all my life so i assume this would be a lot nicer)? how is the power of the v6? peppy and sporty or kind of lagging? how is the stock 6disc stereo (not the audiophile system)? I am a young guy so as shallow as it may sound im really concerned with looks, ride, comfort, sound, and luxury (and by luxury i dont mean BMW/Mercedes status)

other then that, any opinions or advice would really be appreciated. My lease is up April 1st so i will be making a decision soon and I think your advice and input could really help me with that decision...

and a lil post script, what do you think is the better combo based on your preferences... Black with light stone interior or the oxford white with tan interior?

Thanks again guys and I really do appreciate any help or insight you can give!!!

- Mike

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey there... I'm gonna hurry up with this as it is almost 1am here...
anyways...

I dunno how the AWD v6 handles, but i'm pretty sure it's pretty good, esp. if you add suspension mods, lower profile tire + rims.
as far as the performance of the V6... it's kinda laggy unless you get the X-Cal2 tuner from Bamachips, which many of us on this board have, then you'll turn your Fusion into a whole different (better) kind of monster with better throttle response/acceleration.

Luxury.... well, sure, the Fusion is comfy and somewhat is luxurious, but it doesn't come anywhere close to being as luxurious as a BMW or Mercedes (No bias, really.) you must understand that Ford is a ford and German manufacturers... well, you get the idea.

Complaints about the Fusion, not many... considering you accept and understand that there are the usual, acceptable problems when you buy a Ford.

What can I say, the breaks are good, the 6-disc CD player is also nice (which I exchanged with an Alpine player for the AUX input), the modded engine (CAI, ECU chip, exhaust) is great... I can definitely attest that the car is awesome for the money I paid for it...

Good Combo... I guess out of the two choices you provided... I'd go with the black/tan... But, if I had to chose my Fusion all over again, I'd chose the Dark blue ext w/ black int.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The thing about the Fusion, and most Domestic cars is the "for the price" factor. You can probably get a better car out of a Honda Accord, but you'll pay thousands more for one with fewer features. I have an SE, I4 with manual and love it. It has been rock solid, not a single problem (I got it in Nov05, one of the first in the province). It gets spooky in the snow, but I blame that on the shitty stock Contis that I have yet to replace. i have only owned domestics (87 and 96 Cavalier, 96 Contour, 99 Grand Prix GT, and 05 Caravan). It is by far the best one, best built, tightest etc.
Mine is redfire with the tan (camel cloth) interior. You must know though, that all lint sticks to these cloth seats. The tans are especially bad, as I am constantly wiping lint off. Rear visibility is pretty bad due to the high decklid, but is better than, say a Magnum or Charger, although I rarely need to dim the rearview mirror, because I can't see following cars lights.
I just came back from the local car show, and have to say, that the Fusion is still the car I would buy due to the price range. I liked the new VW Passat, but it is at least 10 000 more (base).
BTW This is to THE RUSSIAN....I am still giggling about the red pasta bit...loved it

·
Registered
702 Posts
My fusion is oxford white on camel(tan) interior SE and I get compliments all the time on how luxurious and warm it feels inside. I have the I4 auto and can tell you that sometime I wished I had more power, but the trade off if I get great fuel economy. You are looking at a SEL AWD, from what other have wrote about it here's what Id be concerned about. On the SEL, people saw the clock looks really cheap. My parents have the milan and I agree that it's kinda cheap. Apparently the awd kills the city fuel economy, but I can't attest to the fuel economy. Also with the AWD it's supposed to have the best handling in it's class, other then maybe the milan, because the milan has stiffer springs.

Like you said you're going to go for a test drive, well don't be afraid to throw it around a little bit. I think that you'll be happy with the improvement over your SUV. I really don't know what else to say, I'm very happy with what I have, great price for sure.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have an awd its not the fastest car out there but it gets going just fine. Handling is this cars big feature it is the best handling four door in this class it will outdo any of the Japanese cars (I have awd) the styling is about as good as you can get from ford or any domestic and certainly better than the japanese yet again, very sharp looking. I have black on white with SEL trim which looks great. It will handle better and ride better than your SUV. Its a very comfy car, lots of room comfy seats (from volvo I believe) and the ride is excellent.

As nice as the awd is unless you actually need it you probably don't need to get it you'll just spend another 2k and lose some MPG but for me I needed the awd (my in city mpg is about 13-16)

·
Registered
833 Posts
X, Check the first two posts (Things I like...Thing I don't like...) in this section of the forum. You will probably get more info then you want. I, personally, have had a number of problems and would not buy another one. However, there are some things that are nice/ good about the car.

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?board=821.0

Good Luck with what ever you decide on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input... I appreciate all of your feedback...

I made it over to the dealership today actually and test drove an SEL AWD and was pretty impressed... alot quicker then my sport-trac (obviously) and it seemed like a pretty good car...

I picked out 2 on the lot and am trying to decide which to get at the moment... i actually started another thread about it with a poll... if ya guys have time... chime in and let me know what ya think...

thanks again for all the help and hopefully Ill be a fusion owner within a week...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would caution you to make absolutely sure that you don't want a truck. I traded an 04 Sport Trac in on my Fusion when gas hit $3.00 per gallon after Katrina. I absolutely love the Fusion.....but there are times that I really miss having the Sport Trac. Every time I have to haul something of any size, I have to go borrow a truck from a relative. The car looks really good and handles great, but given the choice again, I would keep my Sport Trac.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thats the same way I feel about trading in my Mazda B-3000... I wish i kept it... and my car payment would have been MUCH lower.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Wish me luck as well....Going to look at a used 2006 Ford Fusion I4 S tonight. Trying to get the Girlfriend a new car.

I am currently in a 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan....trying to keep it in the extended family.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are going for the 2007 V6 SEL AWD, for another $3,000 or so I think? you can get the Acura TSX which is by far a much better car. I don’t care what anyone on this forum says, the fusion is a rip off. You buy a car for $20k + and it drops in value faster then anything. It has to be the worst car to buy and then drive off the lot. I had got mine back in June 2006, 2006 SE 4cylinder black/black leather so on. A lot was wrong with the car, passenger side seatbelt did not work, transmission acts funny, windshield leaked, within 6 months I had to change a couple fuses and a tail light. The handling, no power under 2600rpm or so? I don’t know as far as the car stock I don’t think its that awesome and I don’t see a point in putting $2000 or so into a car you already pay $22,000 + tax/tags so on. Anyone who ask's me about a fusion? I say don’t buy it. The car is made in Mexico? I just lemon lawed mine and the KBB with 16,000 miles was like $15,000??? so the car lost over $7,000 in value in not even a year and I financed so I owe more then the car is even worth? so lemon law was the way to go. And I must say, I will never buy another ford in my life. I just bought a 2006 Lancer Evolution IX SE for $29,998 has 8 miles and I love it car is awesome. Well I said my peace and I hope others do start understanding domestic car's are really turning to shit. Anyway FORD = Found On Road Dead! :closed:

·
Registered
195 Posts
:D Oh this is easy. Just go test drive one! compare prices to the mundane Accord/Camry and you will easily be sold. Pluse take a look at the comparison on Car and Driver! two comparisons one on east coast one on west coast and the Fusion wins over the Camry/Accord. I have owned my 06 SEL V6 for about 9 months now and still enjoy driving it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
[quote author=BlackdOutFusion link=topic=72985.msg1299016#msg1299016 date=1175187131]
I had got mine back in June 2006, 2006 SE 4cylinder black/black leather so on. ...a car you already pay $22,000 + tax/tags so on. ...the KBB with 16,000 miles was like $15,000??? so the car lost over $7,000 in value in not even a year... [/quote]
What kind of an idiot are you? I too got my SE 4 cylinder with leather last June. The sticker was only $20500. With A plan and $1000 rebate, mine cost $17500. That's only a $2500 loss using your KBB price, not the overinflated $7000 loss you're spewing.
Oh yeah, I haven't had one problem with my Mexican built car.
You really can't compare your fusion with that new POS you just bought. It costs $10,000 more.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm in full agreement with totalconfusion-I don't believe I've ever heard someone brag about mitsubishis I mean they make Tvs! (not very good ones either) I checked out the eclipse and wasn't impressed. And it does sound like you got ripped off so thats why you took such a hit.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=BlackdOutFusion link=topic=72985.msg1299029#msg1299029 date=1175187601]
So Sexy!

[/quote]

Yea, that cooling fan looks great :dunno:

I know its important, but would look better if they had it on the backside.

·
Registered
613 Posts
[quote author=BlackdOutFusion link=topic=72985.msg1299016#msg1299016 date=1175187131]
If you are going for the 2007 V6 SEL AWD, for another $3,000 or so I think? you can get the Acura TSX which is by far a much better car. I don’t care what anyone on this forum says, the fusion is a rip off. You buy a car for $20k + and it drops in value faster then anything. It has to be the worst car to buy and then drive off the lot. I had got mine back in June 2006, 2006 SE 4cylinder black/black leather so on. A lot was wrong with the car, passenger side seatbelt did not work, transmission acts funny, windshield leaked, within 6 months I had to change a couple fuses and a tail light. The handling, no power under 2600rpm or so? I don’t know as far as the car stock I don’t think its that awesome and I don’t see a point in putting $2000 or so into a car you already pay $22,000 + tax/tags so on. Anyone who ask's me about a fusion? I say don’t buy it. The car is made in Mexico? I just lemon lawed mine and the KBB with 16,000 miles was like $15,000??? so the car lost over $7,000 in value in not even a year and I financed so I owe more then the car is even worth? so lemon law was the way to go. And I must say, I will never buy another ford in my life. I just bought a 2006 Lancer Evolution IX SE for $29,998 has 8 miles and I love it car is awesome. Well I said my peace and I hope others do start understanding domestic car's are really turning to shit. Anyway FORD = Found On Road Dead! :closed:
[/quote]

LMAO, this is the first time I have seen anyone so enthusiastic about disliking a first year car. That says a lot about the Fusion in general. You lose value because more sell, but when something happens, its a helluva lot cheaper to fix a Fusion than any Acura, and believe me, when you see a junkyard piled with current gen Honda engines, but never can find a tranny, thats messed up(its no better for your evolution either.) What is it, 1 out of 3 Evos and WRXs actually hit 100,000 miles without major maintenance? The domestic placebo being crap is just your experience. One that is shared with many because domestics are very common. Why not consider the 3.9trillion dollars that leaves the united states a year in auto sales alone. Even if it were inferior, I would still buy American assembled in North America over an Imported car assembled here, and I would still hit 300,000 miles on it.

Lemon law is for lemons. You had a lemon. Are all Fusion's Lemons? Nowhere near it.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=Crystallas link=topic=72985.msg1302748#msg1302748 date=1175320502]
[/quote]

LMAO, this is the first time I have seen anyone so enthusiastic about disliking a first year car. That says a lot about the Fusion in general. You lose value because more sell, but when something happens, its a helluva lot cheaper to fix a Fusion than any Acura, and believe me, when you see a junkyard piled with current gen Honda engines, but never can find a tranny, thats messed up(its no better for your evolution either.) What is it, 1 out of 3 Evos and WRXs actually hit 100,000 miles without major maintenance? The domestic placebo being crap is just your experience. One that is shared with many because domestics are very common. Why not consider the 3.9trillion dollars that leaves the united states a year in auto sales alone. Even if it were inferior, I would still buy American assembled in North America over an Imported car assembled here, and I would still hit 300,000 miles on it.

Lemon law is for lemons. You had a lemon. Are all Fusion's Lemons? Nowhere near it.
[/quote]

:goodjob: :bowdown: Crystallas For President!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would like to comment on the 300,000 mile statement. See my post "Paint problems?? on my new 2007 Fusion???" I had the car for 2 or 3 weeks and the paint is starting to chip off already....the car will probably rust out before I even hit 75,000 miles. So the engine might last for 300,000 miles...but the body sure as heck will not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
[quote author=BobbR link=topic=72985.msg1302930#msg1302930 date=1175341998]
I would like to comment on the 300,000 mile statement. See my post "Paint problems?? on my new 2007 Fusion???" I had the car for 2 or 3 weeks and the paint is starting to chip off already....the car will probably rust out before I even hit 75,000 miles. So the engine might last for 300,000 miles...but the body sure as heck will not.
[/quote]
Isolated incident.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts