FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. For those in the market for new tires - I just ordered/purchased a set of the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. They should arrive at the shop and be installed by this coming Thursday. Great price from Costco. 225/50-17V for 169.99 each + $15 a tire for mounting, balancing, road hazard warranty etc. (this also gives free rotations and balances for the life of the tire). - a $70 rebate (which Costco subtracts at the time of purchase versus mail-in from most other sellers) + 7% sales tax in NJ. Total of $727.76.

While it is a newly introduced tire model with limited reviews, all reviews I have found, both professional and by vehicle owners, are excellent.

I will post back with my own review when they have been installed and I can form an opinion.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi gang. My initial impressions after 1,000+ miles - Love them. Smoother and quieter ride than my OEM tires. Much better handling (although again, I do not drive the car hard). And also important, now that I have had a chance to drive them in a few heavy downpours - Much, much better wet weather handling.

Will keep you updated.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The biggest complaint I have seen in the past is they were kinda bumpy. If they are smooth and handle just as good as the older model this is very good news at that price. If they still have a mileage warranty this is exceptional news.

Thanks and keep us posted...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Put a set of these on the car this morning, 225/45x18. Pleased so far, will have to see how the next few weeks pans out.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi gang. An update - Have passed 5.000 miles with the Pilot Sport A/S 3's and very happy with them. Quieter than the OEM Energy MXV4 S8's and much better handling, especially in the wet. Ride is also better overall. Predictions are we will be getting our first significant snow storm here...at least while I am home to witness it...so l may be able to report on snow traction in a few days.

Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Put a set of these on the car this morning, 225/45x18. Pleased so far, will have to see how the next few weeks pans out.
So, 2500 miles later and these tires are great! Very pleased.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi gang. Snow update! Eight inches of the white stuff last night/this morning, and can report that traction is better than the OEM Michelin Energy S8's. And in making my comparison, I am trying my best to compare how the Energy S8's were new, not with the 54,000 miles they had when I replaced them.
Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I just put a set of 225/45R18 Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my factory 2009 sport rims and I think they are too noisy. I've only driven them 40 miles, but I can definitely hear the front's whirl from speeds of 25mph to 70mph.

I hoping they might quiet down a bit after a few more miles, but I definitely didn't expect this. I might have to take advantage of Michelin's 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Even though I'll loose the $100 mounting fee, I'm not sure I can handle years of tire whirling noise.

Note: I don't think it has anything to do with alignment either, as I have absolutely zero irregular tire wear on my previous set.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well... I've got 500 miles on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and they are still loud. I rotated front to back but no change. I also reduced the cold pressure to 34 psi and that helped a little bit. Anyway I can't see these tires getting any quieter so they're going back to TireRack.

My 2009 SEL has Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. Alignment is good. My commute is almost all highway (35 miles each way). I've narrowed down possible replacements to the following:

1). Goodyear Eagle RS-A (OEM stockers weren't bad, lasted ~50K miles)
2). Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season
3). Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All-Season (was 2nd choice before)
4). Michelin Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring All-Season

Any Recommendations?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well... I've got 500 miles on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and they are still loud. I rotated front to back but no change. I also reduced the cold pressure to 34 psi and that helped a little bit. Anyway I can't see these tires getting any quieter so they're going back to TireRack.

My 2009 SEL has Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. Alignment is good. My commute is almost all highway (35 miles each way). I've narrowed down possible replacements to the following:

1). Goodyear Eagle RS-A (OEM stockers weren't bad, lasted ~50K miles)
2). Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season
3). Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All-Season (was 2nd choice before)
4). Michelin Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring All-Season

Any Recommendations?
I don't have direct experience with them, I believe the Pilot Sport A/S 3 is one of most quiet out there. Check out this thread: http://www.fordfusionclub.com/showthread.php?t=380381&page=2
You definitely want to check Kumho LX Platinums or Continental Tires which are well known for good tire wear and quietness

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, I also thought it was going to be a quiet tire based on the research I did. The tire rides and handles great, I can't complain about that. It's just the road noise that sounds like I'm constantly on rough asphalt that is driving me crazy.

I've been speculating. Maybe my tires came from a batch of incorrect rubber compound? Maybe the 225/45R18 size thread pattern is spaced different? Or maybe my front camber (visually looks like 0 degrees) is too flat? A lot of the online reviews are from BMW and Mercedes owners. I'm sure those cars have better sound dampening and run a different size.

Anyway, I've decided to exchange them for the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season's and I'll report back once the swap is complete.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi gang. Just reporting back with a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 update. About 24,000 miles on them now. Made it through the entire winter, a few blizzards etc with no complaints. I am still very happy with the ride, dry/wet handling and tread wear. They are still quieter than my OEM Michelin Energy tries were. Can't explain why some feel they are noisy, only reporting on my experience.

I would still highly recommend them.

Good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
My new Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season's are definitely quieter, but still not silent. I get a slight hum around 65-70 mph, but I only have 400 miles on them so I'm hoping they will quiet down with time. Plus I adjusted front toe from 0 to about 1/16" toe out which seems to help.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S have been returned. Perhaps the 17" version is quieter, however the 18" version on a 2006-09 Fusion I wouldn't recommend for daily highway driving. Now despite being louder, I will say they were a better tire in the ride & handling department.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think I'm going to buy a set of these (the 91V version). Costco has a pretty decent price on them now. Replacing the OEM Goodyear Eagle RSA's on my '11 Sport with around 57k miles. I've been considering a grand touring tire instead, like the Michelin Primacy MXM4, but think I'll stay with more of a performance tire. Not that I need it though, the way I drive. I live in western Washington, so lots of rain is the main concern, with rare encounters with light snow or ice. So I think the Pilot Sport A/S 3's will be good for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think I'm going to buy a set of these (the 91V version). Costco has a pretty decent price on them now. Replacing the OEM Goodyear Eagle RSA's on my '11 Sport with around 57k miles. I've been considering a grand touring tire instead, like the Michelin Primacy MXM4, but think I'll stay with more of a performance tire. Not that I need it though, the way I drive. I live in western Washington, so lots of rain is the main concern, with rare encounters with light snow or ice. So I think the Pilot Sport A/S 3's will be good for me.
Why not get the new Pilot Super Sports? They are supposed to be even better than the previous models. I have them and they are just as quiet as the stock Continentals that came with my 2013 Ford Fusion. But performance-wise, the Super Sports are just awesome. I haven't got a chirp out of them yet, while the stock ones would spin and chirp very easily.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why not get the new Pilot Super Sports? They are supposed to be even better than the previous models. I have them and they are just as quiet as the stock Continentals that came with my 2013 Ford Fusion. But performance-wise, the Super Sports are just awesome. I haven't got a chirp out of them yet, while the stock ones would spin and chirp very easily.
Hmm, didn't even know about those because I filter summer tires out of my searches. In western Washington I need all season. Really impressive reviews on those Super Sports though. Probably cost a bit more than the $172/tire I can get the Sport A/S 3's for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Saw mixed opinions about the Pilot Sport A/S 3. Some are good and some are not. Some of my friends have the DWS, and it seems to have serve them well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I scratched this tire option off my list of potentials after reading stuff like this:

"3 sets last only 20,000 miles"
"NOT for snow or ice,"
"loud road noise, "
""tire humming sounds on some roads,"
"noisy"

Even look at the first review that pops up on the page on the Michelin site for it even:

"After many years of owning several sets of the A/S Plus version of this tire, I had high hopes for the A/S 3 when it was announced. I got 53k miles out of my A/S Plus in 245/40-19 front and 275/35-19 rear which is incredible mileage. I drive conservatively (I'm back on my stock sizes of 225/50-18 and 245/45-18) and have only managed to get 13k miles out of the A/S 3's in the rear. I have alignments done regularly and the wear is even. The fronts look nearly new and I don't track my car either. The tire is great in traction and has a nice ride assuming it will last. I had longer life out of the Pilot Sport summer tire on my previous vehicle. This is an otherwise phenomenal tire but the lack of longevity kills it for me on the all season rating. I would expect this from a summer tire but against the backdrop of my experience with the A/S Plus, the very short lifespan is disappointing to say the least."

Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires | Michelin US

IMO - junk.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi everyone. Probably my final update for this set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's.
Just went past 95,000 miles on my car, with 54,000 being on the OEM tires. So I have driven 41,000 miles on this set.
I have been very happy with them. Better ride and handling than the OEM Michelins. Wet weather and snow handling are beginning to feel noticeably degraded, but that's to be expected with 41,000 miles. They've served me well, so I will likely replace them sometime early summer with a new set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s (the current replacement). Hope this personal review has been of some help. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts