FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here might know if metal hitting sound is normal or if I have to be concern. Well, when I go to the restaurants or banks drive-thru I could hear a metal hitting type of noise, not to loud, but just enough that you could hear it with the windows roll down. Just the other day I turned on my car in the morning and let it warm up for about three minutes and when I got to the stop light the noise was pretty loud and annoying as well, I am just asking here to see if anyone else had an experiance like this before for I could know a little more before I make an appointment. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=77249.msg1403082#msg1403082 date=1178894644]
I was wondering if anyone here might know if metal hitting sound is normal or if I have to be concern. Well, when I go to the restaurants or banks drive-thru I could hear a metal hitting type of noise, not to loud, but just enough that you could hear it with the windows roll down. Just the other day I turned on my car in the morning and let it warm up for about three minutes and when I got to the stop light the noise was pretty loud and annoying as well, I am just asking here to see if anyone else had an experiance like this before for I could know a little more before I make an appointment. Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi douglas. No, it is not normal. Actually, since the car should still be under warranty, you do not know the cause, and driving it could cause further damage, just get it to the Dealer quickly, and drive it as little as possible until then. It is hard to diagnose sounds over the Internet. What one person describes as metal hitting metal, could just be a slight valve tap to another.

Now, having said all that, if you still want to figure it out on your own first, let's give it a try:

1 - Have you checked your oil lately? If you haven't, check it before you drive another inch!
2 - Check, and if necessary, top off your car's other fluids while you have the hood up. If any are low, notify the Dealer when you bring it in.
3 - If your oil and other fluids are okay, does it sound as though it could be coming from one of the catalytic converter or exhaust shields?
4 - Is something interfering with the radiator fan?
5 - Do you have a local mechanic you trust, or friend who is auto intelligent? If you do, have them listen to it and render an opinion.
6 - The possible causes are numerous.

Metal hitting metal sounds are usually not going to be a good thing. The causes can range from the mildly annoying, to the possibly catastrophic. If you can not ascertain and repair the cause yourself, or with some help, get it to the Dealer as soon as possible.

Good luck, and I hope it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=77249.msg1403082#msg1403082 date=1178894644]
[/quote]
I would recommend a trip to the dealership ASAP. Keep us posted on what the problem turns out to be.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the catalytic converter, it was replaced! sounds good.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=77249.msg1409778#msg1409778 date=1179185986]
It was the catalytic converter, it was replaced! sounds good.
[/quote]

Hi douglas! :D Glad it was nothing serious, and an easy fix!

Happy Motoring! :cheers:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thanks bbf2530, I'm glad, Now I need to fix the raddling passanger speaker. It seems that everytime I fix something, something else pop's up! I guess I'm too picky.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=77249.msg1409808#msg1409808 date=1179186761]
Yeah thanks bbf2530, I'm glad, Now I need to fix the raddling passanger speaker. It seems that everytime I fix something, something else pop's up! I guess I'm too picky.
[/quote]
I wouldn't say you are picky at all. The car is not supposed to have rattles, squeaks things that go bump in the night. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. It's under warranty, I assume. Get the car fixed while the repairs are free. There might even be a Technical Service Bulletin for a noisy passenger side speaker. Rattles in door panels are not normal, or shouldn't be. Congratulations on the catalytic converter replacement. Way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts