FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: Detroit News

Mercury banks on '06 Milan

Ford vehicle is company's first return in lower mid-size segment.

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

Ford Motor Co.'s long-term outlook for Mercury calls for sunny skies, and the 2006 Milan debuting today at the Chicago Auto Show will be a key barometer of the forecast.

The Milan is Mercury's first entry in the lower end of the mid-size car segment since the defunct Mystique debuted more than a decade ago. Derived from the same platform that will shoulder the 2006 Ford Fusion and Lincoln Zephyr, Milan is the fourth of five new vehicles joining the Mercury lineup by 2007.

"We're going to be watching Milan very closely," said Erich Merkle, senior auto analyst with IRN Inc.

Mercury hopes its sporty design attracts new, younger customers. The average age of today's Mercury customer is 60.

The Milan was designed to attract young urbanites with Euro-centric tastes.

"It's a style that reflects a more modern way of living, a contemporary lifestyle which is very popular now in many cities," said Peter Horbury, Ford's executive director of North American design.

"The apartments, lofts - people don't furnish them with walnut and chintz curtains."

Mercury also hopes the Milan's 160 horsepower, 3-liter, in-line 4-cylinder engine will draw attention from Honda Accord and Toyota Camry owners who normally shun 6-cylinder engines.

About 70 percent of the 814,000 Accord and Camry models sold last year in North America had 4-cylinder engines.

Ford does not market a mid-size car that offers anything less than six cylinders.

The Zephyr will have a 3.0-liter V-6 as standard equipment. The same engine will be optional on the Milan and Fusion, but every V-6 will be mated with a 6-speed automatic transmission - a rarity in the segment.

You can reach Eric Mayne at (313) 222-2443 or [email protected].

·
Registered
33 Posts
oohhh, I like the Milan actually, I like it a little better than the Fusion!! Come on Ford keep it coming, now you need a hot looking RWD platform sedan!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm impressed with the Milan, especially the fact that it offers all the same powertrian options as the Fusion.
The only problem now is that I can't decide, Fusion, Milan, Zehyr - they're all so good.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Futura06 said:
I'm impressed with the Milan, especially the fact that it offers all the same powertrian options as the Fusion.
The only problem now is that I can't decide, Fusion, Milan, Zehyr - they're all so good.
They're also all basically the same ;) Not much differentiation.

Personally I think the Milan is the worst of the batch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There all good looking cars....I can see why the Milan kinda is the worse, as it's kinda blah on the exterior, unlike the Fusion and the Zephyr. Fusion front end screams hey look at me now!! Milan, hey i'm just a everyday car have a good day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts