FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

I have been reading around on the forums here for a little bit and I have been getting confused after reading some of the topics here. I just purchased a new 2007 Fusion I-4 Manual and I love the car already, but the throw on the shift is killing me and I would like to upgrade on the suspension a bit and take some of the big car roll out.

I understand that there is a bushing kit available but what about an entirely new shifter? Will the Mazda 6 one work? Also will the rear sway bar or front work as well? I don't consider myself stupid with cars and trucks but for some reason I am not getting the clarification that I need before I spend lots of money on parts that I can't fabricate or directly replace.

Any information for the suspension and shifter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've been working on a 2.3 Database. My goal is to get it live soon. I've been working with a few 6 and 3 gurus, as well as some ranger and focii friends. This should help all of us a bit in the future.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
[quote author=Crystallas link=topic=78170.msg1430402#msg1430402 date=1179887220]
I've been working on a 2.3 Database. My goal is to get it live soon. I've been working with a few 6 and 3 gurus, as well as some ranger and focii friends. This should help all of us a bit in the future.
[/quote]

Looking forward to see'ing this happen.

·
Registered
702 Posts
All I know for sure is that the mazda rear sway bar works on the fusion. I would think that the front would fit as well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=78170.msg1430418#msg1430418 date=1179887543]
[quote author=Crystallas link=topic=78170.msg1430402#msg1430402 date=1179887220]
[/quote]

Looking forward to see'ing this happen.
[/quote]

This is an open project, so if you have anything you want to offer, or know any 2.3 experts that want to do more than critique the setup, drop me a line.
But I want this to happen as much as anyone, and thats one of a few reasons the news on my site has been slow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I do very much appreciate the help, as I read in a previous thread that the Mazda 6 shifter will work on our Fusion's, I think that I am bound to give it a try here in the next 2 weeks or so. If all goes as planned then I will gladly share with you all the before and after as well as if I wasted my money or not. If there is anything else that I might be able to find out on my own I will share it with you.

p.s. I was on the phone with Eibach today and they do have a front and rear sway bar kit out for the V6 and I4 Fusion, but through the company that I work for no luck on finding a distributor that has one in stock yet, the P/N for it is: 35107.320

Good luck and I will keep you posted

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm only going to do engine for the charts, but suspension will be next. I don't think suspension parts are the real items in question, as every bar and spring that anyone has tried(and shared on the computerweb) from a 6 has turned up to be successful.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A good way to find out is if anyone here has ALLDATA then you can compare every Fords 2.3 product. Because if the Focus or the Mazda 3 or 6 have the same exhause manifold and bolt locations and measurement specs then there is a huge chance that their turbo kits could be bolted on the fusion. or even a supercharger.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are the I4s in the Fusion and Mazda identical? Are the V6s? The 3.0-liter V6 is a Ford engine. Is the 2.3-liter I4 a Mazda or a Ford engine?

·
Registered
57 Posts
they duratecs or MZR a mazda made engine for the 2.3 but the 3.0 is made by ford

·
Registered
64 Posts
the 2.3 in the mazda 6 has a ford stamp on the block, so you tell me what that means, I'm not sure?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I know there are some parts that people have confirmed that work on our 2.3's and 3.0's. Perhaps we should have a sticky thread instead listing these parts that have been confirmed to work, like the rear sway bar, so we can stop asking the same questions and keep them all in one place?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok like I said I would let you know about the short shifter for the Fusion......

The TWM Performance 4cyl Mazda 6 short shifter WILL fit the 2.3L without any issues all you have to do is follow the directions and you will be fine. It took me about an hour and a half to get it all in and working.

So there you have it another part chalked up for the manuals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dogma would really really love a pic. I'm looking to do the shortshifter at some point this summer. Do you notice a tighter feel to shifting and such? Cant wait to hear your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That TWM is one of the best shifters that I have seen yet. With a market that is flooded with cheap and shitty product it is nice to see a company that will take the time and make something that is worth every penny.

As it goes with the shifting I would have to say against the stock throw of about 3-4 inches to the next gear this makes it about an inch per gear and it is so much tighter than the stock. The only problem that I am running into is a small "click" in between 2-3 gear and 4-5 gear it is not broken and it is not the shifter itself, I actually think that it is the metal bushings that they supply I need to call them and see if they have a fix. The install is not the easiest thing and if you have another person available that would be awesome and almost needed.

Pictures give me about a day and I will have them up for you I didn't take any during the install, but if you follow their directions for the Mazda 6 install it is almost exactly the same.

If I had to do it all over again I would be more than willing. I have owned many cars in my past and all were manuals where I could buy a short shifter I did and this by far is the most superior.

Hope that helps, any other questions ask away

·
Registered
610 Posts
dogma - what shift knob did you get with your TWM shifter? I think I will have to order one of those bad boys!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yup, was thinking I liked the Leopard the best, probably in satin for me!

[quote author=dogma555 link=topic=78170.msg1464090#msg1464090 date=1181082383]
I got the package with the Classic Series A6 Leopard Knob and the finish was Flat Black.
[/quote]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=Metallicat link=topic=78170.msg1464520#msg1464520 date=1181091666]
Yup, was thinking I liked the Leopard the best, probably in satin for me!

[quote author=dogma555 link=topic=78170.msg1464090#msg1464090 date=1181082383]
I got the package with the Classic Series A6 Leopard Knob and the finish was Flat Black.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Dude straight up that kit is the best quality I have seen thus far...you will NOT be disappointed. When you install it let me know if you get that same "clicking" sound. I am going to be putting a call in to TWM and see what they have to say but I am not sure if they will even have any experience in it or heard of it at all, so we might be on our own to find the fix.

Also F.Y.I. I am in the works to get AFE to make a production intake for these bad boys at my work we have a pretty good relationship with them so I have been leaning on the R&D guy to see what he might do, so if you don't have an intake yet give it a few months and I will let you know what they will be doing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts