FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
presently giving the Magna Flow System 16684 some serious thought....

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=Sport&id=1344

I am concerned about too much noise inside the car....
I have two small children (2&6) and wondering if this will make it noisey....

I also don't want the "soup can" sound....
I believe I've read that the mangaflow doesn't sound like that....

Honestly, I'm not after performance, I'm after sound....

Any thoughts or ideas?
Where is the best place to buy? I've been out of the auto accessory market for a number of years... been stuck in motorcycles, but love this car.

What I'd love to do.. is find someone near by (Central Illiois) with it installed so I can hear it in person.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=vstarbob link=topic=92420.msg1799334#msg1799334 date=1193067592]
presently giving the Magna Flow System 16684 some serious thought....

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=Sport&id=1344

I am concerned about too much noise inside the car....
I have two small children (2&6) and wondering if this will make it noisey....

I also don't want the "soup can" sound....
I believe I've read that the mangaflow doesn't sound like that....

Honestly, I'm not after performance, I'm after sound....

Any thoughts or ideas?
Where is the best place to buy? I've been out of the auto accessory market for a number of years... been stuck in motorcycles, but love this car.

What I'd love to do.. is find someone near by (Central Illiois) with it installed so I can hear it in person.

[/quote]

i have put this out there in a few posts but here is my .02 cents. Do not waste your money on a cat back. Just get a muffler from magnaflow or any other univ. straight thru muffler and have a shop weld it on. You will get a very nice deep tone and it will not be too loud at all. i have 3 kids myself 5,7,10 and wife that does not like loud vehs at all. If you get the full cat back you will be spending money for nothing. Plus you can get what ever muffler you want dual tips single or even an oval like mine. Then you can use the other $400 you were going to spend on the catback some place else like a tuner or suspension. :lol: i think i have posted this same thing 3 times today or yesterday. here is a sound clip and some pix for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suDH4Aex9_g

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks....
if you don't mind me asking... what did you go with?
I mean I see magna flow, but is it a replacement muffler or a universal....

By the way....
sounds awesome!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=vstarbob link=topic=92420.msg1799499#msg1799499 date=1193072839]
thanks....
if you don't mind me asking... what did you go with?
I mean I see magna flow, but is it a replacement muffler or a universal....

By the way....
sounds awesome!

[/quote]

it is just a univ one off e-bay. it is stainless just like magnaflow is and it has been on my car for a year with no issues and i live in Iowa so the winters are rough with salt and sand on the road. I wanted the same thing as you when i started looking for exhaust, more sound, better look but did not want to spend an arm and a leg for a full cat back. The muffler replacement was the best option i could come up with. Just check around on e-bay for a muffler style you like. They all have measurements on them to make sure it will fit right and any shop will be able to install it. The magnaflow and univ mufflers are alot smaller than stock so installing is very easy for muffer shops.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks....
I'm starting to think this may be a better way to go....

·
Registered
799 Posts
Magnaflow muffler, part # 11225 will fit nicely and not be to loud! Make sure your local muffler shop cuts off the "necked-down" 2" section of pipe just ahead of the stock muffler or it will be almost as quiet as stock!

The best prices around (and a forum favorite) for Magnaflow mufflers and cat-backs are from:
http://www.completeexhaust.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=87

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks.... have to give a look

·
Registered
799 Posts
Oops, I meant part # 12225 -
(5" x 8" Oval Offset/Center Satin Stainless Steel Universal )

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my catback magnaflow instaled and the sound is very good.NOOO soup can. but i change the cat for a hi-flow cat the sound is very good.yes is a lot of money for sound.but now i got a new car!!!! :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=92420.msg1800459#msg1800459 date=1193092910]
i almost got this style but the flat oval design fit the cut out like it was made for the 4 cyl fusion. the guy at the muffler shop asked if it was a ford racing muffler or something becuase it matched so well.

[/quote]

I have to agree... the one you got, looks like it belongs on the Fusion.
But I'm kind of partial to the dual tips.... I'll have to keep my eyes open... my opinion may change (wouldn't be the first time)...
tossing around the idea of SS tips for now and come spring... changing the muffler.
But, I'm keeping an eye on ebay now....
I've got a buddy who will do replace the muffler for me... no problem.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have the exhaust you speak off, haven't had time to make vids or really take pics(plus are is realllly dirty right now). As far as sound, sometimes there's a slight drone, nothing that will give you a headach or anything, but my baby(7weeks old) actually likes the sound of the exhaust and like it when i accelerate harder then normal. My brother said it sounded great when i first pulled up to him with it, and he didn't even now i had put it on. He likes big v8 exhaust sounds so it's a complement to me. Not to count, it just looks nice. Most people look under the car to see if it's an actual cat-back exhaust, and I must say I love that the resonator is chrome too(or is it polished? well it looks great eitherway).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=92420.msg1804540#msg1804540 date=1193198756]
I have the exhaust you speak off, haven't had time to make vids or really take pics(plus are is realllly dirty right now). As far as sound, sometimes there's a slight drone, nothing that will give you a headach or anything, but my baby(7weeks old) actually likes the sound of the exhaust and like it when i accelerate harder then normal. My brother said it sounded great when i first pulled up to him with it, and he didn't even now i had put it on. He likes big v8 exhaust sounds so it's a complement to me. Not to count, it just looks nice. Most people look under the car to see if it's an actual cat-back exhaust, and I must say I love that the resonator is chrome too(or is it polished? well it looks great eitherway).
[/quote]

wondering if you have seen any increase in mileage?
Not a big issue, but just curious

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=vstarbob link=topic=92420.msg1804895#msg1804895 date=1193228595]
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=92420.msg1804540#msg1804540 date=1193198756]
[/quote]

wondering if you have seen any increase in mileage?
Not a big issue, but just curious
[/quote]

i did my K&N drop in, air silencer delete and muffler all within a few days of each other and did see an increase but not sure if that was just the motor getting more broken in as i have gotten better MPG every month since i got the car i started out at around 21 mpg with combo of hwy and city now i am getting 26 plus.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i did my K&N drop in, air silencer delete and muffler all within a few days of each other and did see an increase but not sure if that was just the motor getting more broken in as i have gotten better MPG every month since i got the car i started out at around 21 mpg with combo of hwy and city now i am getting 26 plus.
[/quote]

good to know...
thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Magnaflow Exhaust (16684) Prices!!!!!!

was looking around... just sh_ts and giggles....
prices I found for the cat back system is all over the place

full retail 545.42

locally I could get it for $425 +del & tax

online $354.03 del.

I'm sure there are other prices above and below what I found, but I can't believe the differences in prices....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=cos link=topic=92420.msg1807684#msg1807684 date=1193286862]
It's only $349 (shipped) from:
http://completeexhaust.com
[/quote]

$5.00 is $5.00 bucks
thanks for the heads up.
assuming you need to call for that pricing

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=vstarbob link=topic=92420.msg1808115#msg1808115 date=1193317070]
[quote author=cos link=topic=92420.msg1807684#msg1807684 date=1193286862]
It's only $349 (shipped) from:
http://completeexhaust.com
[/quote]

$5.00 is $5.00 bucks
thanks for the heads up.
assuming you need to call for that pricing
[/quote]

Magnaflow will not allow them to post that low of a price. that is why it says call from pricing. They can sell it cheap but not allow to advertise from what i was told by another retailer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 44 Posts