FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After installing the 08 SAP Shocks and struts and Progress RSB, I had about two hours before Meineke closed. So, rushing out (and forgetting my digital camera...damn!) I made it to the Meineke.

The install was using stock pipes with Magnaflow 12255 Mufflers. Diagram of muffler:

So, the guy looks at it and doesn't think that he can install the muffler in the space that he has, but then after I told him that he should have no issue, he starts to work and realizes that it will fit - no sweat.

So, after about an hour of cutting, bending pipe, welding, etc, this is the result. In addition they found a nice flat spot on the outboard side of the muffler before the tip and welded two hangars. Last picture will show the hangar. This install is SOLID. I'm REALLY happy with the results. I did NOT remove the resonator. However, even with the resonator in place, the sound is PLENTY good. Especially at idle. I tried to get the sound from the digital camera but it just wouldn't do it justice. Abbot, if you have any digital media that can get the good sound from this, I'd love to drive over to your place to get it up on the board.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Looks good, and looks like they did a good job. Now your mpg will go down because you kind of have to make some noise when leaving traffic lights and stuff.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=94365.msg1846356#msg1846356 date=1194799236]
Looks good, and looks like they did a good job. Now your mpg will go down because you kind of have to make some noise when leaving traffic lights and stuff.
[/quote]

LOL, between the exhaust and the growl from installing the intake, I bet Mark gets about 12 mpg for the next few weeks :lol:

Mark, I don't have anything good to make a recording, but hopefully will come Christmas as it's on my list ;)

Again, glad everything went smoothly and we finished in time for you to get these installed.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. Yeah, we finished just in time. The Midas closed at 4, but Meineke was open until 6.

The guys were awesome. They told me that they couldn't start the job until 5:30, so they told me to come back and drive around to the rear. I came back right on time and the garage doors were closed. I started cussing, so I went around to the back and saw them all standing there. They waved me into the first bay and jacked the thing up. The one guy and his assistant started working on it and the owner of the place started talking to me and offered me a beer. So, we kind of just stood around talking and drinking. I was very....relieved...that the guys doing the job didn't grab the beer until the job was done!!!

They definitely didn't do a rush job at all. I was out of there around 6:45.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=94365.msg1846370#msg1846370 date=1194799846]
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=94365.msg1846356#msg1846356 date=1194799236]
[/quote]

LOL, between the exhaust and the growl from installing the intake, I bet Mark gets about 12 mpg for the next few weeks :lol:

Mark, I don't have anything good to make a recording, but hopefully will come Christmas as it's on my list ;)

Again, glad everything went smoothly and we finished in time for you to get these installed.
[/quote]

Yeah, you can pretty much bet on that one.

Abbot, let me know if Santa delivers the goods :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, she bitched about the mufflers and tips until she rode in it last night, and then I actually got a "Hey, this thing sounds really good" comment........

....that's when I knew everything was gonna be A-OK :)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=94365.msg1846774#msg1846774 date=1194816267]
Well, she bitched about the mufflers and tips until she rode in it last night, and then I actually got a "Hey, this thing sounds really good" comment........

....that's when I knew everything was gonna be A-OK :)

[/quote]

:lol: mine still complains about it but then steals my car every chance she gets.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the mufflers for $67.50 each including shipping on Ebay.
Tips were $35

Install cost me $89 including routing of the pipes, welding, watching the mechanics fight like little boys about the placement of the tips, beer after closing time, etc. :)

All in all, not bad. Much cheaper than a Magnaflow CatBack system and probably just about the same hp/torque gains.

Slater - I've actually already run into that one. I'm supposedly going to take the SUV on Tuesdays since I have to "cart stuff across to Dallas" for clinic..........

......funny how I used to be A-OK doing it in the Fusion......

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=94365.msg1847132#msg1847132 date=1194830071]
gains.

Slater - I've actually already run into that one. I'm supposedly going to take the SUV on Tuesdays since I have to "cart stuff across to Dallas" for clinic..........

......funny how I used to be A-OK doing it in the Fusion......
[/quote]

:lol: ya mine always says well the fusion gets better MPG so i do not want to take the truck. Then i hear here take off from the house an warp speed 8)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That's exactly what I wanted to do instead of getting the catback system. Those tips are amazing, it looks perfect. I notice you debagded it too, nice. Overall a badass ride, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
65 Posts
yea same here.. i gotta get the fusion first but thats what i plan on doing well something like that, i plan on getting the ones with the tips already on them.

im sure you know someone who must have a camera or something cause i really wanna hear the sound =]

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have a camera and I put it practically right at the pipe and pressed record. That low rumble that I get when starting it up didn't even translate 10% of the way, so I just deleted the video.

I am going to work on an alternative solution. I know the guy across the street is an electronics freak so he's bound to have something that will work. I have a digital voice recorder that I KNOW would work, but the thing doesn't have any export capability.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Mark, that looks amazing, you had a very good idea to go this route instead of the full catback system. I may just do the same! Those double walled finishers look fabulous, and I know it sounds great because I used to have a Magnaflow Catback system on my old DSM 420A. Congrats, man!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Geist - I love the way it sounds. I was actually a little more surprised that it sounded so deep. I actually got a comment today on the way home from work about the sound. At first I didn't like the look of the mufflers hanging down slightly from the rear bumper, but each day I look at it, I like it a little bit more.

I can't complain at all. Plus, now after the Jusnes tunes and CAI with these mufflers, the MPG on my computer actually reads 19!!! I can't believe it - it used to read 14!!!

And, best part about it - the wife actually LIKES the sound!! SCORE!!! :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Mark,

Excellent job on the exhaust, at those prices it was a steal! I think all wives are the same way, they can't give the compliment out too quickly, otherwise we'll rush into the other mods without thinking twice! LOL

Happy driving!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Exactly. Steeda strut tower brace is the next thing....Steeda can't powdercoat it blue like I want, so I've left messages with a half dozen powdercoating places in the metroplex to see if they can do it. I also wanted to do that Megan bar if I can find it at a decent price (under $50).

The handling with the RSB and 08 SAP struts is awesome, and the sound with the mufflers is AMAZING. I LOVE it. I can DEFINITELY feel a world of difference with the mufflers, 08 SAP Shocks/Struts, Progress RSB and Jusnes Tunes with Jusnes CAI. Did it all in one day (plus reseating the Eibach springs).

I feel like I'm driving a totally new car.

·
Registered
799 Posts
thereisnospoon,

Only $89 for install - that's a great price.

Now the big question - why did you choose 18" Magnaflows (12255) and not the 14" Magnaflows (12225)?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the 14" Magnaflows would have probably been a better choice with the space available, but he had no problems getting the 18" ones to match up.

I also figured that the 14" ones would be louder and the 18" ones would be more bassy. It's kind of too late now to do a comparison, but I love the heck out of this sound!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts