FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK BIG question?  what is really the best way to go on lowering the car.  by just using springs or going with a set of (I think they call them) coil overs?  I talked with a salesman at H & R and he said if your car is a keeper the coil overs are the best way to go, they seem to be fully adjustable.  from a little low to a lot of low.  the only thing is the Fusion set is $1380.00.  it's the set up they used on there project car. picture below.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Aren't coil-overs and springs the same thing? The springs on this car are coiled over the struts. What is the difference?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Coil overs are complete renovation of the suspension. Coil Springs are just that, only the springs.

Coil-Overs as well are adjustable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
IIRC the coil-overs include the spring and damper. They are also give you the ability to adjust your ride height too.

If you have the cash, they are the way to go. IMO, it would be worth the extra $1100 though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=captainhook link=topic=46300.msg712433#msg712433 date=1147260108]
IIRC the coil-overs include the spring and damper. They are also give you the ability to adjust your ride height too.

If you have the cash, they are the way to go. IMO, it would be worth the extra $1100 though.
[/quote]

might have to wait for a couple bonus checks, but wanted other opions... Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just a personal opinion on my part, but unless you plan to drive your car competitively for SCCA events the coil overs are an expensive bragging point. Fully adjustable yes, once you crawl under each corner of the car lossen the lock ring and use a spanner wrench to raise or lower each one, and rechecking each time to make sure your equal from side to side or pre-load a side to improve flat travel through a turn. Or you can spend around $250.00 for springs and when available performance struts and shocks and be done with it for under $600.00. I like to wrench on my own stuff but I sure wouldn't want to have to make adjustments depending of the trip.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you have the money, coil-overs are the best.

Go read up on some Focus boards or Civic boards or something...everything is initially the same, people will tell you how they like them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coil-overs are THE BEST bottom line.. if you live in a snow area you can raise the car for the snow time with out having to remove ur system.. and relower it for the summer.... plus you can adjust the stiffness to work with how you like the drive....and all of this is done with what ever spring you choose to put in... also for TIPS the coil-over that you buy with springs are cheaper... but i wouldnt go with it... on all my sports cars ( i have 3) i just Groundcontrol coil-over and Ebaich spring
that the best way to go get springs now and wait for for coil-over.. but it cost more if you have a installer do it cuz they have to go under 2 times... if your not in a rush just wait and have it all done at once... also if you goin to kit it the car it better it bodykit if first then drop it, so you dont over drop, and save money having to go back to installer.
that my 2 pennys lol
PS i live in Mass.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=vicious link=topic=46300.msg737412#msg737412 date=1148575620]
Coil-overs are THE BEST bottom line.. if you live in a snow area you can raise the car for the snow time with out having to remove ur system.. and relower it for the summer.... plus you can adjust the stiffness to work with how you like the drive....and all of this is done with what ever spring you choose to put in... also for TIPS the coil-over that you buy with springs are cheaper... but i wouldnt go with it... on all my sports cars ( i have 3) i just Groundcontrol coil-over and Ebaich spring
that the best way to go get springs now and wait for for coil-over.. but it cost more if you have a installer do it cuz they have to go under 2 times... if your not in a rush just wait and have it all done at once... also if you goin to kit it the car it better it bodykit if first then drop it, so you dont over drop, and save money having to go back to installer.
that my 2 pennys lol
PS i live in Mass.
[/quote]

thank you.  I do think about the snow living in Colorado.  we've been known to get major Blizzards here still in May.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts