FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempted to replace the rear shocks today but could not get the bolt out on the lower shock mount! The bolt turned just fine and was able to get the nut off but the bolt would only back out about 1/2" or so. I tried to get a punch on the end of the bolt to tap it out but it woudn't budge. Any ideas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot all about this thread. I ended up cutting the bolt `cause there was no way the bolt was going to come out of the shock. The drivers side came out like a piece of cake but the passenger side was so rusted that no amout of beating, heating, lubricating or cussing could get it to budge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Came across this thread while looking for the actual size of the lower shock bolts and since I'm right in the middle of the same thing, I thought I'd just update this thread to remind the world it's an ongoing issue... lol...
I'm 3/4's of the way thru a 4 corner strut/shock replacement on my 2012 Fusion S... I went with the spring on kits for the front which was a breeze to do and literally came apart and went together like butter... And the passenger side rear, though a little more effort with some of the bolt heads not giving the best access, was easy and didn't require anything special to get changed... Then there was the drivers side rear lower shock bolt... Yesterday I spent roughly 6hrs trying to get it out and it's still in there... It started out by attempting to round the corners while using a 12-point socket, then I ended up having to put an extension on a 1/2" breaker to get it to move and saw right away it was seized in the shock sleeve... I was able to get the bolt off, but couldn't get it to spin in the sleeve... I sprayed it with skunkpiss, used a pair of vise grips, added a second pair of vise grips going the opposite direction, used both a 3/8 impact and 1/2 impact, switching directions, beating on it with the nut both on and off, tried putting the bolt back on and drawing it tight again, but couldn't get it to break loose from the sleeve... So I went to a propane torch and still nothing, so I stepped up to MAPP gas (the real deal old stuff) and finally got it to spin... Then after a bunch more rinsing and repeating all the above stuff, it would spin somewhat freely, by hand when all the way in, but it would only move about 1/2"-3/4" and get stuck again, with roughly 1/4" sticking out the nut side... I've tried beating it with every hammer up to an 8lbs little sledge from the end and with a chisel against the back of the head and it just won't budge...
After taking some time away from it, I decided I'm just gonna cut it the head off and try to beat it out backwards, if that doesn't work, i'll cut thru the sleeve... Which is why I was looking for the bolt size to tell if one of those universal size bolts from the parts house will work or if I should just use a grade 8 and get an OEM one and revisit it...
Point of my post is, when it very first started rounding the 12pt socket, I had the thought "don't get stuck down this rabbit hole, just cut it and go" but then it soon became a showdown of "oh no you don't, I will not loose to a bolt" and then a day later I'm back to going with that original thought of just cutting it... So BEWARE OF THE RABBIT HOLE!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts