FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the Intake Silencer delete thread. Does this mod delete the whole lower box + intake tube from the fenderwell, or just the tube? Has anyone removed just the lower box? I have not been underneath my car yet, but it appears air enters from the horn-like tube off to the side of the upper box. The air then Ys to the upper and lower air box? Isn't the lower airbox actually used for noise supression?

This was a common mod on 2nd Gen Neons (my previous ride). On that car, the lower airbox (silencer) sat in the bottom of the fenderwell.

Thanks for you insite. Please be gentle on the newbie :?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
No you can't remove the lower half of the intake box. Its what the filter sits in. Just the Tube / horn is removed.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=koreySE link=topic=80133.msg1478359#msg1478359 date=1181592468]
I've read the Intake Silencer delete thread. Does this mod delete the whole lower box + intake tube from the fenderwell, or just the tube? Has anyone removed just the lower box? I have not been underneath my car yet, but it appears air enters from the horn-like tube off to the side of the upper box. The air then Ys to the upper and lower air box? Isn't the lower airbox actually used for noise supression?

This was a common mod on 2nd Gen Neons (my previous ride). On that car, the lower airbox (silencer) sat in the bottom of the fenderwell.

Thanks for you insite. Please be gentle on the newbie :?
[/quote]

i looked at removing the entire thing as well but you do not need to. For one it is a pain it is very large and not a lot of room for it to come out. Just take out the air horn. i am also a neon person have owned 2 of them and am building and SRT-4 for a friend of mine. But again you can remove it if you want to but you do not have to just remove the tube connecting the air box (were the filter is ) and the lower silencer muffler or what ever ford calls it

·
Registered
613 Posts
A lot more people lose HP on dynos with this mod and gain time on 1/4s. I don't even know why anyone would want to do it. If it were winter time, then maybe you could get 1whp from it, as its more for sound than anything. Just get a steeda CAI or wait for another CEL free CAI.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=Crystallas link=topic=80133.msg1479868#msg1479868 date=1181626171]
A lot more people lose HP on dynos with this mod and gain time on 1/4s. I don't even know why anyone would want to do it. If it were winter time, then maybe you could get 1whp from it, as its more for sound than anything. Just get a steeda CAI or wait for another CEL free CAI.
[/quote]

i did it for the sound. cannot justify spending $200 on a Short Ram Intake (Steeda's is not cold air just because it has a heat shield). If the prices come down to $100 plus shipping then i will get one.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=80133.msg1478419#msg1478419 date=1181593391]
No you can't remove the lower half of the intake box. Its what the filter sits in. Just the Tube / horn is removed.
[/quote]

I wasn't talking about the actual box --which holds the filter. If I'm looking correctly, there appears to be a separate box in the lower engine compartment? I'll look better when I do my first oil change. I guess the only option is Steeda (noise -- but well respected name), K&N Drop-in, Paper, wait for Jusnes...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Then yes, you can remove the lower air baffle that is inside the fender area. Dont really see the point to do so, if you are to remove the silencer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.