FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Sean, I own a 2016 Ford Fusion SE and I'm struggling to figure out why my license plate bulbs keep going out. I've purchased many different LED bulbs off of the internet and they have all failed. I've noticed there is almost always moisture buildup inside the casing which leads me to believe that there is a gap somewhere in the seal, but it looks fine when inspecting. I want to just replace the bulb casings but I thought I'd come here first to see if this a common problem with this generation of Fusions or if it's just a faulty piece. The bulbs will die slowly, meaning one diode will go out, then another, until nothing lights up on the LED bulb. Also, the bulb on the left and right will progressively worsen at different rates (not sure if it's coincidence though).

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
Hi, I'm Sean, I own a 2016 Ford Fusion SE and I'm struggling to figure out why my license plate bulbs keep going out. I've purchased many different LED bulbs off of the internet and they have all failed. I've noticed there is almost always moisture buildup inside the casing which leads me to believe that there is a gap somewhere in the seal, but it looks fine when inspecting. I want to just replace the bulb casings but I thought I'd come here first to see if this a common problem with this generation of Fusions or if it's just a faulty piece. The bulbs will die slowly, meaning one diode will go out, then another, until nothing lights up on the LED bulb. Also, the bulb on the left and right will progressively worsen at different rates (not sure if it's coincidence though).

Hi Sgt. It may very well be that an LED bulb is not compatible with the license plate bulb sockets. This is a common issue with LED bulbs being used where they are not compatible. It is also not completely uncommon for the housing to corrode. Not sure what the issue is with your car.

The correct license plate bulb is listed in your Owners Manual. Look in the Index under "Bulbs" for the correct page. I would start by trying the halogen or non-LED version of the bulb listed.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I double checked before purchasing each bulb that they matched the exact type of bulb required for that connection. I research anything before buying. I've installed aftermarket LED puddle lights in my sideview mirrors and have had zero issues with those within a two year span. I'm strongly confident that moisture buildup and the lack of ability to vent that moisture out is causing the bulb malfunction as the bulbs themselves looked "BBQ'd" for a lack of a better description. The vehicle came with halogen bulbs and they also died, which is why I changed them to LED's in the first place (I can't stand halogen bulbs). I guess I'll have to go to a mechanic and see what answers I can get from them before I start drilling holes and possibly ruining things. I appreciate the feedback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts