FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods feel free to move this to http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?board=777.0"]"Maintenance and Care"[/url] if need be but I wanted to start here with more initial visibility. Anyhow today I noticed when opening my trunk that I had some discoloring and rusting under a few of the bulb contacts and so I pulled them to clean. The bulk of the discoloration was isolated with just one of the bulb holders but in the end I cleaned both of them thoroughly. I initially just soaked the problem bulb holder in a mixture of baking soda and vinegar but that didn't completely remove the rust. With closer inspection I discovered that the contacts are easily removed with a pliers. The entire process is outlined below and I know many of us may not notice how dirty, rusty or smudged these can get after prolonged exposure to the elements, car washing etc. so I'd recommend that you give a quick look and inspect yours for any rust or dirt.

Using a pliers, pull straight outward with a slight tug on the outer portion as this is better situated where it won't bend...

If you notice, the rust is readily apparent (above left). I then removed the rubber gasket and cleaned it with a damp cloth, then I took some rubbing alcohol and cleaned up the rust, finishing up (above right)...

Using some dielectric grease to ensure against future moisture and rust and reassembling...

Note, I also applied a small dab of dielectric grease on the areas shown in the pic below to ensure good moisture free contact in the sockets...

Before reinserting them, I cleaned out the sockets enclosures as shown below:

That's it, not that difficult and I might say very rewarding and good peace of mind to boot! Feel free to PM me with any questions, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Wow, you guys have an eye for detail. I don't think I'd ever even notice that in order to take care of it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
my car has less than 7,000 miles and is only 3 months old. While I don't have rust, YET, there is severe oxidation on the screws that hold the light units in. I noticed this a month ago or so and thought it was odd that that was happening so fast. The screws that they use don't seem to have any kind of coating nor are they stainless or anything. My thought is to take them out, clean the assemblies and replace using a stainless screw from a hardware store. If not, you will end up having these things fall out in less than 5 years. my .02

also, has anyone been able to find a set of LED's that work in these? I bought some on ebay but they didn't light up so I had to put my OEM's back in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are there any issues on the fusion with replacing bulbs with LEDs? In my cavalier I had a LED domelight (a 4x4 array of superflux LEDs) and a few of them would stay dimly lit all the time due to some voltage issue. I've also heard LEDs can make the computers think a bulb is burnt out due to smaller draw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that this is an old thread, but I just recently went through replacing these bulbs and sockets in my girlfriend's 2012 Fusion. Now I have some pics to share, along with an option for stainless steel screws if anyone wants to replace them.

I've attached pics of the lens w/bulb - the one that was working, anyway - and another of the lenses showing the corrosion and broken pieces. Then some of the sockets themselves with the lenses in and that white corrosion that I found on them. Also, another pic of the new sockets installed and working, and lastly the stainless steel screws I bought to replace the ones that came with these OEM replacements. Just hoping to stave off any future corrosion.

What was weird to me about the corrosion that I found was that there was a bunch of that white corrosion around the outside of the bulb sockets, which slide into the socket on the wiring harness. One of the sockets just wouldn't come out, so I ended up having to use some pliers to gently crush the corrosion and loosen up that connection. After gently squeezing that for a while and rapping on it with a screw driver to knock the corrosion free, I could get the old socket out. I continued to try to clean that all up the best I could, added some dielectric grease to the pins of the new bulb sockets, and a little to the back side of the wire harness wires where they came into the harness, hoping that it might prevent that from happening again.

A few days later the LED bulbs that I ordered came in and I found some stainless steel screws that I thought would work. There's a picture attached of the ones that I picked up from Lowe's, and a couple of them alongside the ones that came with the OEM socket replacements. Looks like the OEM ones may have been plated or something, but clearly that doesn't hold up. So I went with some stainless ones, which I'll be monitoring pretty regularly to see if they hold up.

Really disappointed with this design and the quality of the parts... hopefully this helps. The LED replacements that I got actually had a really big housing around them, which made it kind of a tight squeeze, and WOW are they bright, lol. Hopefully they hold up a bit better than the others.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts