FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of LED brake light bulbs are you guys using?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Tuning in for information... I know when you swap the bulbs to LEDs that you need to change out the blinker module to a digital one OR put resistors inline. That's as far as my knowledge on this topic goes...

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts
Should have bought a milan. :) Aside from that user "My95Z34" has a thread on LED tail lights he was working on. I can't find it, but it's around here somewhere. If I find it I'll post a link but it was more in depth than just bulb swapping. For LED tails you can't really just use a single LED bulb. Even with multi directional LED's it'll just look like a dot when you hit the brake and look pretty crappy as well. I've seen Lexus GS guys around here use LED boards which looks pretty sick.

·
Registered
555 Posts
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=182554.msg3894891#msg3894891 date=1293740904]
I've seen Lexus GS guys around here use LED boards which looks pretty sick.
[/quote]
LED boards (like Cadillac DTS tails, etc.) are definitely a sweet setup but I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the jump to all that custom fab yet. ;)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I got the blinker mudule hooked all up and the bulbs, but they are not bright enough to me. I got a cheap set on Ebay, which I think was not a good idea. So now, I intend to get a better set.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, they worked perfectly. They just get hot as hell, so I had to add an extra length of wire so I could mount them where the rear speaker deck is.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Maybe we need to get together with a company like Depo so we can get them to make a tail lamp set for the Fusion.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I removed the LED bulbs a long time ago. The ones I had just weren't bright enough during the day. Also, the paint on the resistor stunk like hell when they got really hot from pressing on the brake for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
555 Posts
[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=182554.msg4222961#msg4222961 date=1335494904]
Maybe we need to get together with a company like Depo so we can get them to make a tail lamp set for the Fusion.
[/quote]
Agreed. If the Milan tails were able to be swapped in to the Fusion I would just do that ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
[quote author=Y2KFirehawk link=topic=182554.msg4223128#msg4223128 date=1335539178]
[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=182554.msg4222961#msg4222961 date=1335494904]
[/quote]
Agreed. If the Milan tails were able to be swapped in to the Fusion I would just do that ;-)
[/quote]

I'll get on this then.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've got a set in my car, the custom ones I built got taken out months ago. Just purchased some regular LED bulbs and left the red filter out of the tail light housing. I'll run out to the garage right quick to take a pic or vid.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ok, so here's the set that biggee72 was talking about. I took them out because I was having lots of issues with resistors going out and causing a strip of LEDs not to light. BTW, turn down your volume... I breathe heavy...

First tail light complete!

And here's the ones I'm currently using now. Excuse the messy garage, the wife decided to unpack a ton of stuff all the way around my car... barely have room to pull it in anymore!

My new LED tail lights

·
Registered
555 Posts
[quote author=blackfusion06 link=topic=182554.msg4244702#msg4244702 date=1340904328]
they look like spider ligths

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F1157_LED_spider_light.htm
[/quote]
That's what I thought too but couldn't think of the name of them for the life of me. Anyone have those in a 2010+ housing? (For looks, not if it fits) Do any of the spider lights have LEDs on both sides of the "fins"? I would assume I need to put a resistor in-line on both sides to make them work as well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah, that's them. There are two bad things though. #1, they are pretty dim during the day, #2 if you've got a GEN1 Fusion, the red lens has a reflector in it and you can't see the actual layout of the LEDs. I removed my lens.

BTW, yes, it's got LEDs on both sides. The side showing out, and the side reflecting inside the housing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts