1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wow, I've only seen this kind of thing on show cars. They look really cool and I hope someone from this forum buys them and posts a picture of what they look like on the car. I like how the web site says, "not recommended for use in headlights"! LOL

Happy driving!

·
Registered
71 Posts
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.....I already did.

I purchased these for my Acura with a 9005 Light fixture. Due to the low, low wattage only 1 light will work. Not only that but it is so freaking dim that you barely see it during the day at night it looks horrible. These are deffinalty for show only and modifications with the lighting system will need to take place for them to properly work.

SAVE YOU MONEY.

HID's are by-far the best way to acheive greater light output. Now for that goddamn DRL fix :rtfm:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with BCKA8.

LED's will only work as headlights if there is alot of them installed or else light output will suck.

For that, go install two wal mart $.99 flash lights and you will get better light output then that led.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate that my first post is bumping a SUPER old thread, but I want to know if anyone has any recent experience with these. Looks like they make them with over 100 LED's. I'd be curious if the brightness is any better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
LEDs are not meant for headlights. They will seem bright, but have little to no output distance. If you're going for the HID look but in a halogen bulb, search for Nokya stage 2 halogen bulbs. I have those in my headlights and they are veryy close to the brightness and output distance of HIDs, but without the glare. And plus, search around the forum for the HIDs that work best (if you do get HIDs), technically HIDs are illegal but if done right, you should be good. Your car, your choice lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
[quote author=Sunman929 link=topic=81661.msg4244926#msg4244926 date=1340939541]
LEDs are not meant for headlights. They will seem bright, but have little to no output distance. If you're going for the HID look but in a halogen bulb, search for Nokya stage 2 halogen bulbs. I have those in my headlights and they are veryy close to the brightness and output distance of HIDs, but without the glare. And plus, search around the forum for the HIDs that work best (if you do get HIDs), technically HIDs are illegal but if done right, you should be good. Your car, your choice lol
[/quote] Some models of the Prius, Audi and Lexus and others have had LED headlights since 2010.

·
Registered
286 Posts
those LEDs are usually used as DRL or as show (ex, Audis) but they would not work properly as headlights since they dont give a wide, bright beam that lights up the surrounding in front of your car, which is the main purpose of headlights. LEDs give a straight beam forward and for a short distance, which doesnt light the area for a long distance and doesnt light your surroundings. heres an example of LEDs in headlights. You can see that its not really functional to have LEDs in headlights. V-LEDS HID WHITE LED HEADLIGHTS !!! Plug & Play!

·
Registered
113 Posts
[quote author=Sunman929 link=topic=81661.msg4244981#msg4244981 date=1340945776]
those LEDs are usually used as DRL or as show (ex, Audis) but they would not work properly as headlights since they dont give a wide, bright beam that lights up the surrounding in front of your car, which is the main purpose of headlights. LEDs give a straight beam forward and for a short distance, which doesnt light the area for a long distance and doesnt light your surroundings. heres an example of LEDs in headlights. You can see that its not really functional to have LEDs in headlights. V-LEDS HID WHITE LED HEADLIGHTS !!! Plug & Play!
[/quote] Maybe you better write Toyota and Audi and tell them they are wrong and they aren't really using LED headlights in the Prius and A8.

·
Registered
286 Posts
[quote author=hybrid driver link=topic=81661.msg4245464#msg4245464 date=1341088240]
[quote author=Sunman929 link=topic=81661.msg4244981#msg4244981 date=1340945776]
[/quote] Maybe you better write Toyota and Audi and tell them they are wrong and they aren't really using LED headlights in the Prius and A8.
[/quote]

The LEDs i was referring to are those LED eyelid ones audis have. Those are only DRL. As for cars that come with LED headlights from the factory(which to my knowledge not many use), those are high intensity LEDs that the manufacturers create specifically for the headlight housing and are created to be useful to the driver of the vehicle and other drivers on the road. Adding a LED bulb as a headlight replacement in a headlight lamp that was not LED from the factory wouldnt be useful at all. Best bet would be getting stage 2 nokya bulbs in the low beams if you dont want to get HIDs, but HIDs would be best option if you're looking for a good output.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I totally agree with your comments on aftermarket LED bulbs for headlights. So far I haven't seen a car with the LED headlights from the factory.

·
Registered
151 Posts
[quote author=BlackFusion07 link=topic=81661.msg4245593#msg4245593 date=1341146211]
Actually there are a few new cars incorporating LED headlights into their cars....but they aren't very good.
[/quote]

Says..

The Audi R8 was the first to do and I think some new Audi can have them too
My boss's Benz CLS had them and they are very bright.
There not just a LED bulb stuck in a housing. Its several of them and its magnified through a lens to produce the light. It works or it wouldn't be on a 100K+ R8

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Trust me, they're there for the sake of saying they have LED headlights. They have a very scattered output at this point. I'm sure down the road they will become better, but at this point a HID projector is substantially better.

·
Registered
835 Posts
[quote author=BlackFusion07 link=topic=81661.msg4249446#msg4249446 date=1342360180]
Trust me, they're there for the sake of saying they have LED headlights. They have a very scattered output at this point. I'm sure down the road they will become better, but at this point a HID projector is substantially better.
[/quote]

As much as I hate to disagree with a certain point, I disagree.
While it may look -scattered- (which, it's going to, due to the nature of an LED) that doesn't mean it has piss poor light output.

Watch this video - quite interesting..

Opel LED light matrix technology introduced

When it gets down to it, projectors are ultimately great because they have good light output without blinding other drivers.
Who needs even light output above the road when you don't have to worry about blinding the driver period? Very interesting video.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whoa!!!!!!!! Now that is really really cool.

It will probably be 10 years before we see something like that over here though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts